“Exquisite boutique hotel experience, perfect for honeymooners”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #5 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My husband and I kicked off our Bali honeymoon with a stay at the Chedi, and we could not have been more delighted and enchanted by our experience there. From the moment we arrived, travel-weary from more than 24 hours of multiple plains, trains and automobiles (traveling from the U.S.), we felt as if we were in another world of uniquely Balinese elegance, style and comfort. The ambiance of the Chedi is lush luxury — emerald green rice paddies, swanky Balinese architecture, meticulously maintained grounds filled with art, flowers, fountains and tropical birds. Beautiful views wherever you look. I think I ended up taking more pictures on the grounds of the Chedi than any where else we visited in Bali. The entire visit felt like something you would pay through the nose for in any other country and yet we were paying around US $250/night.

The staff treated us like royalty. We were assigned a butler, Swan, who was warm and endlessly helpful, setting us up with dinner reservations in Ubud proper, making sure every last detail was perfect in our Villa, and helping us set up day trips and negotiate driver rates. The Chedi is about a ten minute drive from the center of Ubud, but any time we wanted to go in to town, a hotel driver was instantly provided (for free). I loved the juxtaposition of our quiet paradise at the Chedi with the hectic cacophony of motorbikes, tourists, tour buses, chickens, dogs, monkeys and hawkers that was the Ubud center. My worries about staying further from town turned out to be complety unfounded; Every time we returned from the chaos of Ubud to the warmth and relaxation of the Chedi, it was like stepping into our own private paradise. (The privacy is another thing to note. Even though the resort was always more than half full, every time we walked around we felt as if we had the entire place to ourselves).

My advice to anyone staying at the Chedi is to take some time to enjoy the services the resort offers. I took a yoga class with Marcus, the yoga instructor, in an open-air room that overlooked acres of gently swaying rice, and it was the most unforgettable experience. My husband and I also loved taking a book to the infinity pool where from the moment you sat down a waiter would materialize within moments with a cold towel scented with essential oils and a glass of ice water, or an elegant little plate of deliciousness, if it was mid-afternoon tea. And my man and I can't stop talking about meals in the Chedi dining room. It's an open air pavilion, surrounded on three sides by the rice paddies. The multi-course breakfast (provided free as part of our room rate), looking out over the fields of rice was a highlight of the trip.

After I stayed at a couple other hotels, I realized that many of the details that the Chedi provided were in fact part of Balinese hotel traditions — like hand-placing fresh frangipani and red hibiscus flowers every morning (except at the other places, it was a couple of flowers on the lobby desk, versus the way the Chedi dresses their entire grounds in blooms). And none of the other places we stayed managed to do these things as expertly as the Chedi; they just couldn't compare in terms of service, value for the money, and hospitality. When you travel for a good long journey, as we did (three weeks) you start to notice the little things, the small touches that elevate a hotel from fine to fantastic. The Chedi mastered these details with effortless perfection and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank azilejane
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We went with great expectations, and most of the time we were not disappointed. But we left feeling that 'something was missing'. Perhaps it was when we were given the hospitality villa to use while waiting to leave later for our flight. (Our stay had been at the 2 bedroom estate) that we realised what that missing 'thing' could have been. it was the facilities - our pool water feature had not been turned on and we were told it was to save on energy, but they didn't turn it on anyway until we asked for it on the 2nd day. The pool itself was unusable which we ignored because we could use the main pool. But on the 3rd day, the water level sank, after which the pool was cleaned and we realised that the pool had originally been a dirty pool. The area of the pool was also not well maintained. Lizard droppings littered the area. The living room was also almost unusuable in the day because we had to keep the windows closed which meant great humidity even with the airconditioning - we could not keep windows open because of the insects and fortunately we did not anyway because on the last day we spotted a snake on the tree outside the living room. Our bathrooms outside were also a disappointment when compared to the outside bathroom of the hospitality villa. the general area had rather slippery tiles because of the moss that had collected. We also noted the shampoo and conditioner in ceramic jars which had to be carefully handled - not easy when you are in the middle of a shower. On the last day too when we decided to opt for cereal to our disappointment we found that there were only 2 choices! But we got our peace and quiet and lovely views of the rice fields.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Habibah M
Reviewed April 6, 2009

There are plenty of other reviews that provide glowing descriptions of the Chedi Club and, having been fortunate to travel fairly widely, I fully endorse these.

Location is unique; service exemplary; grounds impeccable; restaurant very good. The price isn't low but does represent fair value for what you get. If you can stretch to a pool villa ask for one that overlooks the rice fields. The spa treatments run close to $100/hour, which seems steep to me, but there are plenty of alternatives in Ubud.

We'll return, for sure.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I stayed in Chedi Club for three nights during mid march to set off my almost 3 week long honeymoon. I wish the stay here would've been longer as it was the most beautiful hotel with awesome service.
The villas are very nice with flat screen TV and a wonderful bed, nice work desk, a fireplace (which we didn't use), twin sinks in the bathroom, seprate shower area, an outdoor tub. The Outdoor Layout is equally amazing with 2 day beds, 2 loungers, a kitchentte with a full size fridge, a fantastic pool which, in our case opened up to a private rice field view (villa 6).
The service was par excellence. Our private butler would look after every need including bringing our inclusive breakfast to our villa every morning and set it up on the fantastic table by the day bed. We ordered our breakfast in the villa everyday as I hate having to get up early and walk to the restaurant. The Service was spectacular on all accounts.
There is an amply stocked mini bar and every thing in it is included from Heineken/Tiger Beers to soft drinks and snacks; on top of this there are 3 decanters full of about half liter scotch whisky (which i finished everyday), absolut vodka and gin.
12 articles of clothing could be sent everyday free of charge for laundry service, which I felt was an excelent touch, one which I haven't encountered in any hotel before.
Chedi Club was the most amazing place to start of my honeymoon, Ubud is a wonderful palce to visit and a must see for anybody visiting Bali.
Another example of the spectacular service would be: my wife had forgotten one of her precious bags at the villa, when we called, not only did they find it but they also send it across to Jimbaran area- the intercontinental, where we had moved on too (about an hour long drive away) at no extra cost.
The spa was very good as well, I got the chedi club massage in which two therapists work simultaneously... highly recommended.
This Resort was excellent in every aspect and I would recommend it to everybody. Villa 6 is fantastic for honeymooners.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Manav S
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Very secluded, intimate and classic hideaway. You hardly ever see any other guests. Perfect service - very individualized. Your butler remembers your preferences without instruction.
Drinks and Breakfast are included in the room rate so you never feel ripped of like in many other top end hotels.
Very pretty setting within rice paddies.
Very focused on nice balinese details (paintings, sculptures, birds, plants)
Good hotel activities like Yoga Classes (overseeing rice paddies at sunrise).
We would recommend the Spa villas (includes daily massage)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Berlioz11
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I just back from Ubud last night and my brain is still full of the magic moments there.The Chedi Club is definitely made part of my Bali dream came true in my hoilday

When my partner and me arrived at the first day, we were welcomed by the GM,Helen and one of the staff there. We were happy to get a great news that our room has been upgarded to POOL villa!So, we were really thanks for the reosrt's kindness and warm welcome to us.Also, our butler,Sugi, is helpful and nice. Though I dont know some of the staff names whom I meet and ask for help there whenever we need help, we are really impressed by everyone who serves guests with patience (one night we asked about questions of DVD rental at lobby and the female staff was so helpful and patience to provide services to us )

We enjoyed the pool,the outside seats and the day bed so much within these few days.With enough pirvacy and cosy space, for the people likes me who lived in crowded city do specically enjoy to stay there. The complimentary drinks including alcohol is great and let us no need worry about every days beverage.(Just 1 thing that the bottle of lemon lime was collected back by resort without notice after the first night and we cant mixed the wine well after that!)

For the environment in the resort, I loved the rice field and the Lotus pool there.I strongly recommended the American Breakfast and Indonesian breakfast (noodles) , the food and drinks are delicious!

Just one recommendation, since we backed from the Ubud town at night, we found the environment is quite dark and we even need to use torch when we walked back to our resort which need around 2minutes from the entrance. It will be more safe if the lights are stronger on the paths for the late retuen guests.

Wihe aim to escape from the reality,escape from the crowd ,to enjoy a quiet , pricay and romantic moment, Chedi Club is a good choice!

Prices is second, experience and enjoyment come first!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at the Chedi Club for three days in February, and absolutely loved it (we even cancelled our next hotel to spend our last day in Bali at the Chedi)!! Everything was just pure perfection - the beautiful resort grounds, the dining area overlooking the rice fields, the suberbe pool (a great place to relax and unwind!), the restaurant with the most wonderful food, the afternoon tea, the SPA, and not to forget the super-friendly staff!! Everyone had a smile on their face, and made our stay even more enjoyable. Our awesome butler took care of our every need - from organising sightseeing trips, tennis (on the hotel grounds), rice paddy walking, airport assistance, afternoon drinks in our villa etc, and our very knowledgable and fun driver took us on amazing sightseeing trips.

We will definitely be back for our next Bali trip, and will give the Chedi Club our warmest recommendation to all our friends. We simply immensly enjoyed every moment of our stay.
This resort is really "one of a kind" - just amazing!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sofie41