The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #12 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Switzerland
“Hadiprana Villa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel and being welcome by the friendly Swiss Manager we immediately thought that the 2 night stay planned was probably going to be too short. This was confirmed when arriving at the Hadiprana villa. WOW! Probably the best "hotel room" we stayed in. 550m2 of understated luxury. 2 bedrooms, perfect for a family or 2 couples. Huge facilities like a 15m pool. Butler service etc. We got teared apart between staying at the villa versus visiting the area... As with teh Legian in Bali free min bar, cocktails, liquors, perfect for pre or after diner drinks...
This is one of the few property I will definitively go back to.
The hotel in the middle of its own rice fields, you breakfast while looking at this nature. Simply extraordinary. My wife enjoyed yoga classes in the spa overlooking the same rice fields. The hotel is 10 minutes by car from Ubud center.

Room Tip: Hadiprana villa, do not hesitate to spend the money, a lifetime memory
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AsiaLovers
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Chedi Club on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you and your friends enjoyed the Hadiprana Estate, our biggest Villa we have as well as the surrounding and services.

Its very nice to hear that you are planning another visit and we would be thrilled to welcome you back sometimes in 2014.

With our best regards from Ubud,

Simon and the management team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

In short, The Chedi was great, as was Ubud. If you want to just relax and have plenty of down time it's perfect. We only had 4 nights but it felt like we were there for weeks.

The resort has only 20 villas on 5 hectares of land so there's plenty of privacy. I'd personally recommend a pool villa because you get a nice courtyard and obviously your own pool which is great. Views out over the rice paddys you never get tired of.

The most outstanding thing was the service. You get a butler that just organises and takes care of everything for you. Our man Jun was one intuitive guy - he would just pop up wherever you were in the resort at any time and update you on your bookings, dinner reservations, etc and just seemed to know what we wanted. After I asked for a bucket of ice at 5pm on the first night so I could take advantage of the complimentary mini bar he made sure there was a bucket of ice delivered every afternoon at 5.

The only downside is that the resort is a little aged, as most Bali buildings are after 10 years, but the Chedi like the Legian is immaculately maintained and done in a very classical Bali temple style.

The food was amazing - the head chef Dean is a contemporary Singaporean chef and did western, Indonesian and fusion incredibly. He came and saw us meal one, day one and said "don't get caught up on the menu. If you think of anything you would like to eat just ask me and I will make it for you". Also, full menu is available in villa which is always great, or at a table with candles in the middle of the rice paddy.

The spa is awesome, and they have free yoga at 8am each day, or you can pay for private classes.

All in all pretty amazing.

Room Tip: Get a pool villa
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zorbachev
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our services and club benefits.

I'll make sure to pass on your gracious comments to our Chef Dean as well as the Spa team. They will be very happy to receive it.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

My sister and I stayed here in December 13 for 3 nights and I can honestly say this was one of the best resorts I have ever encountered. We had a villa with private pool which was simply stunning. Nothing was too much for our wonderful butler Aya who would prepare the pool each day so we could look out onto the stunning rice fields from it. When your butler introduces themselves there is no question of it being a nuisance to ask for anything to make your stay more enjoyable. We asked for some anti mosquito plugs and within minutes, our butler returned with some and also lit an anti mosquito candle outside the door to our villa. She did this every night without prompting after this.

The grounds are out of this world. Simply breathtaking! The gardens and rice fields are so beautifully thought out. Sitting sipping afternoon tea or cocktails looking out onto the fields you could be forgiven for thinking you had died and gone to heaven! No exaggeration!!

Then there is the spa...now, I like my spa treatments, have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, had treatments at the number one spas in several countries and so my expectations are high! Again, without any exaggeration, I had the best massage of my life (kundalini massage - nothing kinky abut it) at the Chedi.

The food was good although I wouldn't describe it as excellent. The restaurant staff are incredibly attentive and professional and the wine selection is surprisingly good. There was an issue with some chicken in my salad on the day of our arrival being either undercooked or fatty. I only discovered this at the end of the meal and mentioned it to the waitress. I was advised that the chicken was not undercooked and was prepared in a certain way that made it look the way it did (?) but as any decent place should, the salad was not charged to me. Excellent response Chedi.

If you wish to go into Ubud from the Chedi, they offer free drivers to take you and collect you. All of the drivers are super professional, helpful and informative. We went to an art gallery one day and into Ubud market a couple of times. I wouldn't bother calling your driver to collect you from Ubud as traffic can take them a good 40mins to an hour to reach you at certain times of day and it is so cheap to get a cab back that it makes more sense to just get a taxi from the street.

What makes the Chedi so wonderful is how well thought out everything is. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone wanting a peaceful rest in a paradise setting. I think young kids could get bored here although there is tennis, swimming and rice field tours on offer. I know I would go back in a heartbeat! My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would also love to go with my partner one day...maybe next year?!

So in summary, for us the highlights are:

The grounds, gardens and statues everywhere
The room with private pool and outdoor bath
Eating breakfast outside looking out onto the rice fields
Plunging into the pool and looking out onto the rice fields
The massage!
The staff and the amazing care and attention we received

Thank you to all of the staff who made our stay so exceptional. Special thanks to Aya our butler. You are a true professional and we really appreciate your care.

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms but ours was divine! If you go for a room without your own pool, t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank thegirlmiller
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed review. We are delighted that you had an thoroughly enjoyable stay at our resort.

I agree with you, the grounds and views into the rice fields are quite spectacular.

We will make sure to pass on your review to Aya your butler and the rest of our team as well.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I spent the first part of my honeymoon here in May 2012. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Magnificent grounds with fantastic service. Our butler was helpful without being intrusive, the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fatima L
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for such a great review and for remembering us after a good amount of time. We are pleased and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort.

We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of our Balinese honeymoon. As soon as you pull up you realize you're in a very special place. The staff are professional and exude calmness and nothing you need is too much to ask for. This hotel is the private grounds of a very rich businessman I understand, who has converted his property into these villas. There's a golf cart to tour you around the property and everyone is assigned to a butler. Ours was wonderful, I can't remember his name right now but he was non-intrusive and lovely, had a bath run for me upon arrival and managed to snag us the best table with no notice at a restaurant we wanted to go to in town. Don't forget to tip them at the end of your stay :)

The property itself is in the midst of working rice fields and you can watch the workers from the strategically placed gazebos and dining area, all of which are all open-air and breezy. Ubud is lush and exotic, quite different than anywhere else in Bali. I spent an hour just photographing the property I was so impressed with all the statues, art work and architecture. The pool is gorgeous and there's a tray with suncream and water dropped off to you as soon as you pick a lounge spot.

Our villa was spacious with a gorgeous open-air bathroom with deep-soaker tub and shower. They provide free spirits and beer as well as tea and coffee in room. Drinks are free during happy hour.

The morning yoga class was a highlight for me, facing the magnificent rice fields is the ultimate zen, I will never forget it.

This is a very, very quiet resort, I wouldn't recommend booking with children and my husband and I wouldn't have wanted to spend more than 2 nights here only because we enjoy late dinners and drinks and a bit more of a party atmosphere but don't get me wrong, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to stay here and if peace and quiet is what you're after, you'll never, ever want to leave.

Room Tip: All are lovely. We didn't splurge for the private pool but I imagine those would be beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessterlou
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great comments about our resort and sharing it with fellow travelers. It's so nice to hear that you enjoyed the culture-rich highlands of Ubud and the lush undulating surroundings of our resort.

I agree with you, if you are seeking serenity and rejuvenation in the middle of the seemingly endless paddy fields, the Chedi Club is definitely a good place to be.

Thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to see you back soon.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights beginning of January in the lowest room category, the suite, which was still spectacular. I am terrified of mosquitos and the indoor outdoor bathroom didn't impress me at first, but they do such a good job spraying the area, that I'm proud to day I didn't get bit once.
The property is breathtaking and photos do not do it justice. They do an excellent job of up-keeping the grounds, and we were mesmorized by the black and white swans and endless lily ponds. The hotel is in a great location, just far enough from Ubud town, but a close ride away.
Staff were gracious and very efficient, meeting each request with perfection and speed. The restaurant staff especially went out of their way to accommodate us. One day we couldn't make it to tea, and we phoned the hotel to save us some cakes (their desserts are delicious). They provided us with a full high tea set up in our room when we returned at 9:30pm, which was really nice. Breakfast was great and so was the variety. Restaurant views are to die for.
Music in the room was a nice touch, and so was the complimentary laundry service. Attention to detail at every turn made this hotel a perfection.
When you venture out in the evening, don't forget the flashlight... it is extremely dark at night on hotel grounds, and the only criticism I have is that they could use a lot more light along the paths leading to the rooms. Also, we found it odd that even though rooms were available and we only stayed 2 nights, they would not provide a complimentary room upgrade for our honeymoon, which was done at every other property we stayed at on this trip. They asked us to pay the difference ($200 per night), but upon inspecting our room we decided it was sufficient for our needs and did not upgrade.
Overall I can't wait to return and would most definitely stay at the Chedi again.
Ubud in itself is magical and unlike any other part of Bali. Make sure to get guide for a day to see it properly, and I highly recommend Nayoman from Bali Traditional Tours (info@balitraditionaltours.com). He made our Bali trip! In all our world travels we haven't met a more knowledgeable and reliable guide, and a kinder, more personable one. We had the best day of our honeymoon with him, and felt like we were with a close friend showing us his home, rather than with a driver/guide.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank ig4078
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious one bedroom villa with its typical Balinese outdoor shower and vanity. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the butler and our club benefits to its fullest.

I am very sorry that we could not provide you with a free upgrade during the time you were staying with us.

We look forward upon your return visit to the Chedi Club and would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon.

We wish you all the very best and kind regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

My family and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in early January. We are a family of 5 (children 13, 11 and 7) and we stayed in the 2-bedroom Hadiprana Villa (with a roll-away bed in the second bedroom).

Our villa was huge, with a private pool. It was a beautifully furnished and very comfortable. We also made good use of the main pool.

As the hotel only has 20 villas it is very peaceful and never felt crowded, the grounds are really spectacular.

Our butler, Jiwa, was fantastic, our kids particularly loved the animals he made each night out of the towels!

We regularly used the hotel cars to drop us into Ubud and pick us up, including to restaurants, the monkey forest or anywhere we wanted to go.

There really isn't a lot to add to the already glowing reviews. I would say that while the hotel certainly isn't targeted at children, our children were made very welcome and absolutely loved everything about the hotel, especially the breakfasts and afternoon tea.

We would definitely return to this hotel, it was simply beautiful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family