The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #9 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
“A True Paradise”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Years ago I spent a wonderful 5 days here at this luxurious resort. I can not begin to tell you the fun time we had. We had a private villa set amongst the rice fields. Breakfast outdoors in a gazebo, we waited on with every need. Being treated with such individual service can not compare to some of the recent hotel experiences I have had. I could go on and on about this wonderful resort. From the villa, the indoor/ outdoor showers, the massage spa and most importantly the food! Wow!!! Our chef was Ernst Jan Broer! I understand he is no longer at this establishment but I can tell you that he made our experience one of the most memorable ones ever. He is a extremely talented chef. Another person who stood out for us was Intan. She was so sweet and took very good care of us as well as I think her sister. I cannot thank them enough for their generosity and kindness. If they are still employed with you I encourage you to commend them for a job well done. If you want a relaxing one of a kind experience you must travel to Bali, stay at the Chedi Club and watch their traditional balinese dance show! AMAZING!!

Room Tip: Villa farthest away from lobby and up the path and too the right is awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to express my sincere gratitude for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are all very happy to know that we have provided you with great hotel experience.

It is very nice to receive such a wonderful write up after you have stayed with us a good amount of time ago. You correctly pointed out that Chef Broer is not longer with us but Intan is still working here and I am very happy to let her know that you remembered her.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Simon and the Management team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Stary Krym
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The atmosphere, the people, the food -- it was all enjoyable. We really like the personal touch that they have for the smallest things. They were attentive on which villa we liked, the kind of food that we want (since my husband and I are both vegetarians) and the rooms were very clean, elegant and relaxing. We had our own private pool at the back of the villa, where it gives us a view of ther ricefields. The motif of the building was also great, with Thai elephants everywhere. It was such a luxurious place to stay in, and we loved every moment of it. My husband is not exactly a big beach fan, so we opted for this place, and he was happy with the service, the location, and everything in between. Worth the trip!

1 Thank DianneWT
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback from your recent visit at The Chedi Club Ubud. I am delighted to hear that different aspects of our services and surroundings made such a positive impression on you, during your stay.

I will make sure your precious review is shared among our team and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to our resort.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Service at the Chedi Club utterly and completely elevates this place above the ordinary.

Is GM Simon Spiller the ultimate hotel guru? I don't know. But he is creating magic. Again, I can't remember service like this anywhere. Not under diplomatic passport. Not at the Post Ranch Inn at Big Sur. Not in Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Not at Dhara Dhevi in Chiang Mai. And certainly not at any Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental/Ritz Carlton.

The personal butler assigned to my villa, Jiwa, is a beautiful person, the anthropomorphization of good energy and fantastic service. The entire staff is insane great. Breakfast next to the rice paddy - so memorable.

The whole place exudes serenity and calmness.

Next time I will come with someone special...but if not... I will come again myself. A beautiful, wondrous property. Bravissimo Mr. Spiller! Bravissimo Chedi Club! 11 out of 10.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kruseville
Dear Guest,

Your kind words are very much appreciated, and our staffs—especially Jiwa—are greatly encouraged by your comments.

We are looking forward to welcome you for a return visit in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was first trip without our kids for the last 7 years (except a 4 day jaunt in Paris). We have stayed in many many wonderful hotels over the years and whilst facility wise its not the best. Service wise it cant be faulted. Often with service its what you dont see that makes the difference. We had the pool villa and a butler. Its the skill of the staff and what they do that makes this place different. By the first day all of the staff knew our name and what we liked etc.
Simon Spiller made the effort to introduce himself to us on the first day. This place is class act.
In point form.
The Bad or could be improved
- The gym needs to be bigger and more equipped. Every time we went to use it (4 times) there was another couple training and this gym cant handle 4 persons. Needs natural ventilation too
- Decking in villa 10 near pool needs to be re laid. You could cut your foot on protruding nails

The Good
- Its a case of what you want when you want it and where you want it. Its your choice yours
- 4-6pm free high tea
- 6-7pm Free cocktails (Tanah Gajah recommended)
- Service levels beyond reproach- attentive, friendly and just intuitive.
- Bowa our butler who organised everything and made sure we had everything.
- The grounds are spacious and beautiful
- The hotel only has 20 rooms and is a very quiet retreat.
- The restaurant is lovely and the staff amazing.
- Butler Bowa plays a mean game of ping pong and I asked him to give 100% and win and he did that he beat me 4-2. Respect for being honest.
- They always serve you from the right (once again just the little things)
- The vista from the restaurant over the working rice fields.

I could go on and on and on. All the staff were incredible and Bowa gets a mention because he was our butler. But the lovely smiling Balinese are so welcoming.
One of the possible reasons why the service is so good here is that all staff have been here for a long time. The system works!!!!
We always said that we would never stay at the same place twice. After our stay we are thinking about an annual trip here. If you want a relaxing holiday with the very best service this is the place.
A big thank you to all that made our trip so memorable. And I know that Simon Spiller (GM) will pass this onto to his staff as we appreciated every effort made by them all.

Room Tip: We have pool villa 10. private and everything we needed. Didnt see any other rooms but get the impr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madalen1611
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for a very detailed review on our property and we very much appreciate your feedback.

Regarding the gym, its a bit difficult for us to enlarge it due to space constraints. The ventilation however can be easily improved and I will work together with our Engineering team to fix that. The same goes for the wooden deck, we have scheduled a refurbishment already, which will take place within the next few days.

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and consider breaking your rule of not staying at the same place twice, we would be more then happy to have you back with us next year.

I passed your compliment on to Bawa and the entire team and they are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.

On behalf of the whole team we would like to say thank you again.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

WOW!!! Where to start. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and were greated at the airport with a private transfer, cold towel and bottle of water, just what we needed in the Bali heat. Once at the hotel, a golf buggy tour of the grounds by our butler and he showed us all the luxuries of the villa. The villa itself was simply stunning. A private pool that you can actually have a proper swim in, 2 outdoor seating areas, outdoor bath (a first) massive shower, his and hers sinks with associated cosmetics, complimentory minibar, honeymoon cake and a bottle of bubbley, the list goes on and on. My wife especially loved the breakfests. Fresh fruit and fruit juice, hot bakery baskets with unusual jams like watermelon, wonderful cooked food (the chicken noodles are a must). All this brought to your table and you could literally have the entire menu if you wanted. With Balinese music playing in the backround, breakfest is a meal you will not want to miss. Afternoon tea and cocktails at sunset really add an extra touch of class to the place. I could honestly write a review for hours, the Chedi Club is that good but one thing i will say is that the staff are quite possibley the most friendly and helpful staff I have ever come across. Nothing we asked for was too much trouble, always service with a smile and our butler (Sarya - apologise if i've spelt it wrong) was amazing. He made what was already an amazing honeymoon even more memorable. Would i go back to the Chedi Club? Put it this way, we wanted to go back as soon as we left.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation towards our resort.

I am delighted to read through your review and knowing that we have managed to deliver a great hotel experience for you. We very much appreciate your gracious comments about the food, our villa facilities and the various club benefits.

I have notified Surya about your compliment, and he is very happy to know that he helped making our stay an enjoyable one.

Thank you for choosing The Chedi Club as your honeymoon destination, and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Serenity now! Ok, imagine the Angkor Wat, you establish a resort inside of it and you remove all the tourists. That is more or less the Chedi Club. There is a peace and quiet to this place that is really unprecedented. The staff are incredibly friendly and the premises stand out as something entirely unique. We unfortunately only had two days at the Chedi Club and would have loved to stayed longer. We had a pool room with our own pool and would recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Geir S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such amazing words you used to describe our property and services. We are very happy to know that you enjoy your stay at our property.

I will make sure your review is shared among our team members and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future to the Chedi Club Tanah Gajah.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for six nights during our honeymoon. We chose the Chedi Club as it was ranked number 1 on Trip Adviser for Ubud hotels. As a result we went with pretty high expectations and I have to say they were surpassed in pretty much every area. The staff are incredibly friendly; the food is lovely and the grounds are immaculate. For us though, the difference between Chedi and lots of other hotels are the little extra touches: the complimentary minibar, the yoga classes each morning; the evening cocktails; they are simply lovely gestures that you simply don't find elsewhere and they are much appreciated. This place is fantastic, please don't change a thing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your review on our property in TripAdvisor. It was a great pleasure to read through your review and I truly appreciate you writing such gracious comments about the services you were accorded.

Thank you for noticing all the facilities and Club benefits we are providing, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for choosing our resort in Ubud and hope that you will return to the Chedi Club Ubud in the future.