“a tale of good and bad”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #6 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Positives: gorgeous landscaped grounds in the midst of the paddy fields; beautiful villas; wonderful breakfasts (the home-made bread with home-made jam was delicious); extras such as free mini-bar, free laundry and transfers into town (15-minute drive); lovely spa; fantastic infinity pool

Negatives: internet never worked and staff didn't understand why it wasn't acceptable that 50% of websites (including all online newspapers) were blocked by their server; extremely high prices in the restaurant (why should main courses be 2-3 times as expensive as very chic restaurants in Seminyak?); the "butler" who was a kind of concierge, and was very pushy in getting us to book excursions from which the hotel was clearly making money - this "butler" often made us very uncomfortable, and was not knowledgeable about Bali and gave us very poor advice which wasted our time and money.

Ubud itself has a lot to offer, great shopping and sightseeing and restaurants, but does get very over-crowded and in the daytime is simply a massive traffic jam.

All in all, the Chedi would be great if you truly need to get away from it all - staying in your villa, lounging by the pool, eating fine meals (at a huge mark-up but probably still cheaper than London or New York). But the atmosphere is soul-less. You almost never see anyone else (apart from your "butler" who constantly comes to your door - even entering once without knocking!), and bizarrely there often wasn't anyone at reception which is a bit of a shock when you return to the hotel and need to get your key.

Very strange, and ultimately not very pleasant despite all its positives.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
18  Thank brandenburg5
There are newer reviews for The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel

Reviewed June 25, 2008

I have been to Bali a lot over the years and deeply love the culture, food, atmosphere, scenery, etc. The Chedi Club at Tanah Gajah is like no other place I have been to in Indonesia and I am not sure this is a good thing. It can tick all the boxes for luxury resort but over-all it has a very cold atmosphere and not at all Balinese.

We stayed in a pool villa and I think this was really the best thing about our time here. The villas are luxurious, the bathrooms gorgeous, the restaurant stunning, the pool lovely BUT you could be anywhere in the world.

If you are going to spend this kind of money I would suggest trying to find somewhere a bit more authentic. Ubud has so much to offer I really thing you could do better. You couldn't go wrong with the Four Seasons Sayan!

I do want to say thank-you to the head chef who went out of his way to please us. We will try anything and Indonesian food is a big reason for us to visit Bali. I have a severe allergy though and quite often this can restrict me in being too adventurous. This wasn't the case here as The Chedi head chef happily made me any dish I wanted on the menu whilst allowing for my dietry requirements.

One last thing- PLEASE REMOVE THE BIRDS IN CAGES!!! They are everywhere around the resort and in todays day and age I personally can't understand why they would think anyone would agree with this.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank LikesALittleLuxury
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Beautiful location on the outskirts of Ubud. And with free transport to town, this is a great place to stay.

The grounds are huge and beautifully manicured, and with only 20 rooms, it is almost like being in a private retreat. With plenty of staff, you are assured of attentive service at all times.

The hotel is not cheap. However, and this is not made clear from the website, the price includes many extras - taxi service to and from town, all soft drinks (both in the room and poolside), alcoholic drinks in the room, laundry.

Being Four Seasons' fans, we went to check out the Four Seasons ..... and were glad we had chosen the Chedi Club.

Mozaic is a great place for dinner - it's the far side of town but the hotel car will take you there; it's not quite top michelin standard but for the money it is amazing value.

Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2008
3  Thank UKtraveller33
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Just returned from a delightful stay at the Chedi Club. I felt like I had been invited to stay at someone's private home. In a way it is true as the property was built by an architect whose family still retains a residence on the grounds. The grounds are well maintained with pathways that lead through acres of green grass punctuated by stone elephant statues, fountains, giant bird cages, and private balinese style modern villas scattered among the property. Our cottage was large and stylish with a porch and large outside bathroom area. We did not get one of the villas with it's own private pool but we were not dissapointed as the infinity pool was great. Breakfast and cocktails were included in the price and the food was wonderful. Snacks and drinks are also included and stocked in room refrigerators. The staff was helpful-we had on our own butler service; the pool was stunning and the massage services good. It is very quiet and relaxing and not for anyone looking for alot of activity-rather a place to unwind-we were two older single women but most of the other guests were honeymoon couples. They also offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and into town. This is a very nice place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank linda9319
Reviewed May 17, 2008

This place is part of the GHM group and has only about 20 villas in total. If you want somewhere to chill out for a few days and feel like you own the whole place, I would recommend staying here.

My partner and I stayed here with another couple for 3 nights. I had done extensive research on the net about different properties in Ubud and this was always the standout. The internet site photos look ed fantastic but I could never have imagined how big and open the whole estate on which The Chedi Club is situated was.

We stayed at the 2 bedroom estate villa and this we found out was the biggest and most luxurious villa on the property. TThe word "villa" really does'n't do it any justice. They only have one 2 bedroom estate as all others are 1 bedroom pool villas, spa villas or suites. My party were totally overwhelmed by the sheer scale and opulence of our villa. There were 2 bedrooms and I stayed in the main bedroom, which was the biggest bedroom I've ever stayed in. There was a lovely sitting area, a writing desk, a huge king-size bed and the whole room was decked out in tasteful Indonesian furniture and art. The art collection I found out belonged to the man who originally built the Tanag Gajagh estate as a retreat for his friends and families. The bathroom was bigger than most bedrooms I had seen and had an indoor and outdoor shower area, a decandent bathtub and his and her wardrobes so space for your clothes wasn't a problem.

The entrance to the 2 beroom estate villa was very grand as you walk up a flight of steps looking at the villa. Right up the top before reaching the front door you pass 2 imposing life-size statues of Indonesian Gods standing on either side. When you open the front door, you walk into the amazing atrium that is 2 stories high before turning into the living area. The living area and dining areas were beautiful and spacious, and there is a separate kitchen and third bathroom behind the dining area.

The outdoor pool is partially behind a stone wall beside a large day cabana. Even though there were 4 of us, we could easily all lounge around on the day bed as it was so spacious. The pool area became our favourite place to lounge around.

The whole "Club" concept means that you pay a much higher price for all-inclusive extras. We had a very nice and efficient butler who attended to our every whim. Breakfast every day was included and can be taken in the villa or in their restaurant. We did both and enjoyed both. The breakfast menu was wonderful and plentiful. We had wonderful breads, noodles and the Western-style breakfast was delicious. Coffee was surprisingly good. The mini-bar was also included. There was a good selection of soft drinks, juices , beer sand water. 3 types of spirits were provided in decanters- gin, vodka, and whiskey. There weren't the best quality spirits and I suppose that is why they've decanted them already so we didn't see what their labels were. I had for some reason throught that the spirits would come in the mini bottles like you get on planes. "Unlimited" mini bar was strictly not true. They only get replenished once a day but I'm sure if you needed something extra the butler could arrange this. Other benefits of the Club included afternoon tea and a cocktail hour. Afternoon tea was lovely sitting in their open air restauarnt overlooking the paddy fields. You only get served a few pieces of canapes but the teas and coffees are top quality. Cocktail hour lasts for one hour and the drinks list were adequate, even including a red, white and sparkling by the glass. Lastly, there are drivers on hand to drive you into Ubud and an interntaionl newspaper is delivered daily to our villa. Each person is allowed 6 pieces of laundry per day. Each item gets washed and ironed free of charge.

The restaurant was fantastic, although very quiet. I guess most people choose to eat in their villas or in town. Service was extremely attentive as a result of this and you often felt like you had booked out the whole restaurant.

In short, I was totally overwhelmed by our stay at The Chedi in Ubud. It was definitely the best property we had stayed in. Our 2 bedroom estate was grand, very comfortable and so spacious, with all the luxuries included. Our private pool was wonderful as was the hotel's main pool. I loved the fact that we felt we were the only ones staying here because the property sprawls over such a large area. It felt like we had hired the whole place out. It was a lovely quiet place to come back to after the hustle and bustle of Ubud town centre. The service was faultless. The gardens were impeccable.

I am now on a mission to stay at more GHM hotels around the world.

• Stayed: May 2008
5  Thank quevara
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My wife and I are both travel agents and we visited the Chedi in Ubud first back in Nov 2005. This experience was even better then the first. All the staff welcomed us back - even the driver from the airport - they all made an effort to acknowledge we had been there before. Our butler was fantastic - Agus - he spoilt us rotten. My wife told him she loved frangipanni flowers, so that night when we returned he had put them all over our bed and around our villa. If you can afford to stay here - make sure you do - it is well worth the money and an experience that no other will come close to.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Littlespiers
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Booked a 4 night stay at The Chedi for husband's surprise birthday treat after reading positive reviews on TA.

As frequent travellers, we're both quite immune to opulence. However, I must admit to feeling overwhelmed by this wonderful resort. Utmost privacy and seclusion, discreet butler service (thanks Intan!) and those beautiful padi fields. Not forgetting those oh-so-relaxing spa treatments! I eagerly anticipate our return!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple