The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #9 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Phoenix, Arizona
“Dreamy”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Just returned from a delightful stay at the Chedi Club. I felt like I had been invited to stay at someone's private home. In a way it is true as the property was built by an architect whose family still retains a residence on the grounds. The grounds are well maintained with pathways that lead through acres of green grass punctuated by stone elephant statues, fountains, giant bird cages, and private balinese style modern villas scattered among the property. Our cottage was large and stylish with a porch and large outside bathroom area. We did not get one of the villas with it's own private pool but we were not dissapointed as the infinity pool was great. Breakfast and cocktails were included in the price and the food was wonderful. Snacks and drinks are also included and stocked in room refrigerators. The staff was helpful-we had on our own butler service; the pool was stunning and the massage services good. It is very quiet and relaxing and not for anyone looking for alot of activity-rather a place to unwind-we were two older single women but most of the other guests were honeymoon couples. They also offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport and into town. This is a very nice place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank linda9319

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
quevara
Reviewed May 17, 2008

This place is part of the GHM group and has only about 20 villas in total. If you want somewhere to chill out for a few days and feel like you own the whole place, I would recommend staying here.

My partner and I stayed here with another couple for 3 nights. I had done extensive research on the net about different properties in Ubud and this was always the standout. The internet site photos look ed fantastic but I could never have imagined how big and open the whole estate on which The Chedi Club is situated was.

We stayed at the 2 bedroom estate villa and this we found out was the biggest and most luxurious villa on the property. TThe word "villa" really does'n't do it any justice. They only have one 2 bedroom estate as all others are 1 bedroom pool villas, spa villas or suites. My party were totally overwhelmed by the sheer scale and opulence of our villa. There were 2 bedrooms and I stayed in the main bedroom, which was the biggest bedroom I've ever stayed in. There was a lovely sitting area, a writing desk, a huge king-size bed and the whole room was decked out in tasteful Indonesian furniture and art. The art collection I found out belonged to the man who originally built the Tanag Gajagh estate as a retreat for his friends and families. The bathroom was bigger than most bedrooms I had seen and had an indoor and outdoor shower area, a decandent bathtub and his and her wardrobes so space for your clothes wasn't a problem.

The entrance to the 2 beroom estate villa was very grand as you walk up a flight of steps looking at the villa. Right up the top before reaching the front door you pass 2 imposing life-size statues of Indonesian Gods standing on either side. When you open the front door, you walk into the amazing atrium that is 2 stories high before turning into the living area. The living area and dining areas were beautiful and spacious, and there is a separate kitchen and third bathroom behind the dining area.

The outdoor pool is partially behind a stone wall beside a large day cabana. Even though there were 4 of us, we could easily all lounge around on the day bed as it was so spacious. The pool area became our favourite place to lounge around.

The whole "Club" concept means that you pay a much higher price for all-inclusive extras. We had a very nice and efficient butler who attended to our every whim. Breakfast every day was included and can be taken in the villa or in their restaurant. We did both and enjoyed both. The breakfast menu was wonderful and plentiful. We had wonderful breads, noodles and the Western-style breakfast was delicious. Coffee was surprisingly good. The mini-bar was also included. There was a good selection of soft drinks, juices , beer sand water. 3 types of spirits were provided in decanters- gin, vodka, and whiskey. There weren't the best quality spirits and I suppose that is why they've decanted them already so we didn't see what their labels were. I had for some reason throught that the spirits would come in the mini bottles like you get on planes. "Unlimited" mini bar was strictly not true. They only get replenished once a day but I'm sure if you needed something extra the butler could arrange this. Other benefits of the Club included afternoon tea and a cocktail hour. Afternoon tea was lovely sitting in their open air restauarnt overlooking the paddy fields. You only get served a few pieces of canapes but the teas and coffees are top quality. Cocktail hour lasts for one hour and the drinks list were adequate, even including a red, white and sparkling by the glass. Lastly, there are drivers on hand to drive you into Ubud and an interntaionl newspaper is delivered daily to our villa. Each person is allowed 6 pieces of laundry per day. Each item gets washed and ironed free of charge.

The restaurant was fantastic, although very quiet. I guess most people choose to eat in their villas or in town. Service was extremely attentive as a result of this and you often felt like you had booked out the whole restaurant.

In short, I was totally overwhelmed by our stay at The Chedi in Ubud. It was definitely the best property we had stayed in. Our 2 bedroom estate was grand, very comfortable and so spacious, with all the luxuries included. Our private pool was wonderful as was the hotel's main pool. I loved the fact that we felt we were the only ones staying here because the property sprawls over such a large area. It felt like we had hired the whole place out. It was a lovely quiet place to come back to after the hustle and bustle of Ubud town centre. The service was faultless. The gardens were impeccable.

I am now on a mission to stay at more GHM hotels around the world.

• Liked — Space, beautiful grounds, opulent 2 bedroom estate
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008
5 Thank quevara
Adelaide
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My wife and I are both travel agents and we visited the Chedi in Ubud first back in Nov 2005. This experience was even better then the first. All the staff welcomed us back - even the driver from the airport - they all made an effort to acknowledge we had been there before. Our butler was fantastic - Agus - he spoilt us rotten. My wife told him she loved frangipanni flowers, so that night when we returned he had put them all over our bed and around our villa. If you can afford to stay here - make sure you do - it is well worth the money and an experience that no other will come close to.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Littlespiers
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 8, 2008

Booked a 4 night stay at The Chedi for husband's surprise birthday treat after reading positive reviews on TA.

As frequent travellers, we're both quite immune to opulence. However, I must admit to feeling overwhelmed by this wonderful resort. Utmost privacy and seclusion, discreet butler service (thanks Intan!) and those beautiful padi fields. Not forgetting those oh-so-relaxing spa treatments! I eagerly anticipate our return!

• Liked — The seclusion
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JulesB66
Perth
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My wife and I recently honeymooned at the Chedi and it was possibly the best experience we have ever shared. It came after months of renovating and wedding organising so we were truly in need of a break and to be honest we probably would have been happy with an un-cluttered room near a pool. What we got however was a truly relaxed and indulgent experience. The Chedi think of everything and do it with style. We had a pool villa for 5 days after being upgraded from a regular villa. The pool villa's are the same size as a small house and provide plenty of room to move as well as the privacy of your own pool - perfect for honeymooners! The staff are super-friendly and will do anything to help you enjoy your stay. The rooms are clean and wonderfully appointed. The grounds are spotless and spacious. The services are magnificent and mostly free. They included everything from yoga classes to free cocktails by the pool to free mini-bar being topped up regularly throughout the day. Your butler will clean your room regularly, sometimes twice a day, bring you fresh fruit and drinks, take care of your laundry for you, organise day trips, drive you into Ubud, bring meals or movies to your villa, basically anything your heart desires. We both had a wonderfully relaxing stay at the Chedi and could not recommend it more. We'll definately be going back and the sooner the better. On a separate note, with the exception of breakfast (which is included) we mostly ate in Ubud and not the Chedi restaurant. This was to experience the local cuisine as well as make some financial savings. Our favourite eating spot was "Mangga Madu", a small restaurant in the centre of Ubud. Delicious meals could be bought there for under 10,000 Rp or about AUD$1.20 and the service was very polite. The restaurant across the road which gives diners their own personal cabana in which to eat was also very impressive. The only restaurant that really disappointed was Mosaic. I've read reviews which claim that Mosaic is a culinary "must do" when in Bali. We would have to disagree. The food is good but not amazing. The service is also similar to every other eatery in Ubud. The menu however is degustation only, with or without wine and will set you back 500,000 Rp each for about 7 small courses, many of which included jelly and foam. The wine list has a good international selection but bottle prices average about 500,000 Rp also. Do yourself a favour and get a local driver to take you to Jimbaran for a seafood feast.

• Liked — Its style and relaxed environment. Villas were excellent
  • Disliked — Restaurant prices
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Muhummed_Bali
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2008

It's always difficult going back to somewhere you've stayed and had a wonderful holiday, with a big question mark over whether it will be as good as your last visit, or the often fonder, more generous and sentimental memories you attach to a great holiday.

From my many years of staying at five star hotels for work and leisure travel, one of the greatest frustrations is that the experience between one visit to a hotel and the next can be totally different. It seems consistency for many of the bigger or seemingly best hotels is hard to achieve.

As it's not the cheapest hotel we've stayed at, we approached our return to the Chedi Club with some of those concerns in mind. Rest assured, after a week in the hotel (three nights in a spa villa, four in a pool villa), we judged our stay to be as good, maybe even better, than the last visit in March 2007. This is a hotel that achieves a consistent, high standard of service - always delivered with great warmth - that very few hotels seem to be able to deliver.

While our butler, Arka, has moved on, many of the other staff are the same, in the restaurant, by the pool, or in the gift shop, and were as warm and welcoming as we remembered from last year.

One very notable change is a new chef in the restaurant. Only a week and a half (at the time of our stay) into his new position, chef has already made a positive impact. If you're visiting, I highly recommend trying a new duck salad starter, or dessert trio (strawberry filled warm chocolate cake; vanilla bean icecream encircled in a deliciously thin layer of fresh chocolate biscuit; and strawberry soup). We were fortunate enough to be able to preview these, which I understand will be new additions to the menu, as while we both enjoy the Indonesian menu, some new additions to the international menu will be a very welcome addition.

We initially wanted 7 nights in the pool villa. Due to high occupancy rates, this was not available, but the combination of three nights in a spa villa, inclusive of daily spa treatments, with four nights in the pool villa turned out to be a magic combination. I recommend asking for one of the pool villas overlooking the rice fields (numbered 5-9). If you're staying for an extended period, and don't mind a room move, the mix of spa and pool villas, is also recommended.

One area I think there could be some improvement is with the butler's knowledge and ability to recommend art, craft, shopping or tour recommendations. Our butler this stay, while great in other regards, wasn't as knowledgeable in this important area as we would have liked.

That said, we plan to return again next year.

Other things to do:
We did book a hotel car one day to visit the temple at Besaki, have lunch overlooking the volcano at Kintamani, and enjoy a coffee tasting at a nearby coffee plantation, and visit the terraced rice fields near Ubud. Highly recommended - especially with such an outstanding driver/tour guide.

Venturing outside the hotel to eat, I'd suggest (in Ubud) Mozaic, Nuri's Warung, or Terazo. All quite different experiences, but good. Try the martinis or cosmopolitans at Nuri's.

• Liked — Peaceful, relaxed seclusion, but with easy access to Ubud. All the inclusions
  • Disliked — Not sure Bose sound system in Pool villa was expertly installed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed March 29, 2008

We were in a pool villa #9 over the Easter period. This is a good villa to hopefully snag, because it has the best view of the rice paddy fields. It is also a little further away from the other villas and in the corner of the rice paddy field so it has more privacy from other guests staying at the hotel. Absolutely no other guests can see you.

However, speaking of privacy...... This is a working paddy field. There are local workers tending to the field all day long and they do walk in front of your pool gate from time to time. They do not stop to talk or walk in on you, but you may get a shock if you try to go skinny dipping! You will also hear them making their 'crow' call to scare off other birds, and they will often pull a string connected to a rice filled can which makes a rattling noise, also to get rid of the birds. I found this very relaxing and enjoyable to watch. It gave the place such character!

The room was lovely but one thing to note is that there is only a sliding door between the bathroom and the bedroom and this sliding door has big slits through the wood so one can still see you quite clearly if you have not had a chance to put your clothes on after a shower! I usually like a bit more privacy when I have just had a shower so if you are like me, this is something to note.

The butler service was first class and every care was well attended to immediately. The laundry service was perfect, do not worry about those delicate items, they will be well taken care of.

The property itself is well laid out. There are golf cars if you get stuck in the rain like we did to ferry you around.

Take advantage of the afternoon tea, it is a lovely time of day to be lounging on those huge day beds, watching the paddy fields. However, we must advise you that we did not enjoy the room service lunch nor the dinner at the restaurant. The breakfast was fabulous though, so it is funny that we found the dinner so dire and overpriced. Perhaps we simply made the wrong choices off the menu.

For foodies, please advise your butler to make a reservation for you at the famous Mozaic restaurant. It truly is exceptional in every arena, from the food itself, to the service and the ambience. Highly recommended.

The Cafe Lotus is a lovely respite from those hideous motorcyles on the street and also makes for lovely photos by the lotus pond and temple. We also dined at Ary's Warung. I enjoyed my meal which was the veal, and the service was not bad except for a small glitch at the end when they brought to us the wrong bill (so make sure you check yours)

Overall, I can highly recommend the Chedi Club. Just superb. Come here if you want total peace and quiet. This is not a place for small, noisy children.

• Liked — First class butler service
  • Disliked — Little privacy between walking out of the shower and the bedroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple