The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #5 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed June 23, 2013

From the moment you enter the gates and view the stunning & immaculately kept grounds, you realise that you have arrived at one of The Leading Hotels in The World. If you want privacy - this is for you, there are only 20 suites so you rarely meet other guests unless you choose to - there is no reason to leave your suite ever; but to do that would be a mistake. This architectural gem is to be viewed from as many angles and locations within the estate as possible - you will never stop being inspired & impressed.
The staff were friendly and professional especially our butler " Mita" for whom nothing was too much trouble. She was / is excellent. Everything was effortless.
Dont see the Kecak & Fire Dance anywhere else other than at the Chedi Club - not only is the performance quite magical but so too is the setting within the grounds.
My wife & I loved our 6 day stay here and would reccommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: just choose a room you can't go wrong.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel deserves 10 stars, not 5!!!!!! If you are loooking for peace and quiet, beautiful views and outstanding service then book this hotel!! You will NOT be disappointed.

Airport
A driver from the hotel picks you up at the airport in a very modern car. Spend the extra $20-$25 for the visa assistance on arrival. It was well worth it as I bypassed all the lines. The driver had a cold towel and a bottle of water in the car for me. It's a little over an hour to the hotel (depending on traffic).

Simon (the general manager) personally greeted me when I checked in (and also when I checked out). He was a great guy, very friendly and definitely cared that the guests enjoyed their stay.

History of Hotel
Tanah Gajah means "elephant realm" as you will notice alot of elephant statues all around the hotel grounds. The hotel used to be a summer vacation home for a wealthy businessman from Jakarta. After his children grew, his family didn't frequent the summer home anymore. So he decided to put it to better use. The hotel hasn't altered the property. In other words, you don't even feel like you're at a hotel because the grounds are so secluded. You feel like you're in a jungle with loud sounds of birds in the morning and frogs and lizards at night. There are only 20 suites/villas so you hardly see any guests as you walk around the grounds.

Room
I paid for a one bedroom suite. The suite was beautiful, spacious and clean. The bathrooms take a little getting used to since they are outside. Yes you go outside to shower, use the toilet, brush your teeth, etc. No worries as there are high walls. Plus the Balinese are so friendly and polite you don't have to worry. My personal butler (Dana) was such a nice kid.

Restaurant
The food was amazing, so well prepared and delicious. Because the breakfast menu has so many items, it will take you 5 mins to decide what you want! Breakfast is included in your room rate. You can eat in the restaurant or your suite. I opted for the restaurant as the views overlooking the rice paddies were heavenly. The hotel doesn't own the paddies so the Balinese are actually working in the paddies as you eat.

Complimentary Evening Cocktails
From 6-7pm, the hotel provides complimentary cocktails either in the restaurant or your suite. There are many cocktails on the menu to choose from. Once again, I opted for the restaurant as the views over the rice paddies were even better at night as the sun sets. An employee from the hotel lights candles and puts them all around the rice paddies. It's beautiful!

Complimentary Alcohol in Room
The minibar is refreshed daily. It comes with coffee, tea, water, soda, juice and beer. There is also gin and whiskey provided in the room. I am a wine drinker and asked if I could have wine instead. The hotel accomodated my request.

Hotel Cars
The hotel has drivers available to take you into Ubud whenever you choose (up until 6pm). It's about a 20 min ride from the hotel. There are plenty of taxis in town so that you can get back to the hotel.

Internet
It's available in your room and in all the public areas of the hotel. For those who choose to leave their computers at home, there's a computer at the pool house that's free for guests.

I hope you decide to book this hotel. You will have lovely memories when you return home!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank trakin69
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love the Chedi Club in Ubud and it has now become one of my favorite resorts in the world. I went there for my birthday and returned 4 months later because I enjoyed it so much.

The resort is quiet, only 26(?) villas set on beautiful grounds with rice paddies as far as the eye can see. At times, it felt like my partner and I had the resort all to ourselves. There are views of the volcano, black & white swans, and did I mention the gorgeous views, especially when the rice is still growing...

Most of all, i was impressed by the level of service. Every worker greeted me with a smile and most of the staff even knew my name as i walked past. The staff was always helpful whether it was with a fresh cold towel or my butler who was at our service 24/7.

The food is sublime but expensive by Bali standards. There is standard Indonesian food as well as Western dishes but with a slightly asian contemporary twist. We enjoyed every item on the menu.

I do want to check out other resorts in Bali but dont know if i will be able to resist the draw of Chedi...

Room Tip: The standard rooms have less privacy than the pool or spa villas as those rooms are not 'gated...
1  Thank jjyw
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Chedi Club lives up to it's reputation as a Leading Hotel of The World - it's paradisiacal and it's very difficult to leave. We've just spent four wonderful nights in a pool villa and I cannot fault the experience. Our butler, Kadek, was a credit to the team and handled all our needs professionally and discreetly, but with the genuine warmth that permeates the Balinese people. The villa itself was very spacious with a beautiful shower, outdoor bath, his and hers sinks, a dressing area and super king size bed. All the modcons are there but dressed in a style sympathetic to Balinese culture and thoroughly luxurious. We spent most of our time in the pool and bale, overlooking the paddy fields and surrounded by nature - the Kingfishers here are so beautiful! Regarding the food and service, nothing is too much trouble and both Kadek, Chef Dean and their colleagues assured us that we could have whatever we wanted whenever we wanted it - this is luxury in it's truest sense. The complimentary car to Ubud is available at 20 minutes notice and you're given a mobile to summon the driver again whenever you want - ours spotted us in a madding throng by the market and rescued us, no mean feat! The attention to detail in the rooms, gardens and restaurant is second to none and the latter in particular is beautifully done. The menu has both western, Balinese and fusion meals at reasonable prices for a hotel of this calibre (£10-£20) and as residents on half board, we had our pick of the full menu every evening and not the watered down version common to lesser hotels. The wine is expensive but this is the same across Indonesia due to high taxes - a decent bottle of Marlborough Pinot Noir costs around £50 but was well worth it, and you would easily pay this in London. The cocktails were delicious and cost around £6 each. Of course, the minibar in the room and decanters of whisky and vodka were free, and Ubud has a selection of wine shops where bottles start at £15 - I recommend Bridges. Our sincere thanks to Kadek, the GM Simon and the entire staff for making our first impressions of Bali so wonderful. I cannot recommend The Chedi highly enough.

Room Tip: Pool villa number 5 was very private, with another villa on one side only (but not adjacent - no noi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review on TripAdvisor about our colleagues, services and surroundings and for sharing your experience with others on your stay.

I am very happy to hear that we were able to create a special and memorable experience for you and I am glad you enjoyed the unique Balinese atmosphere in our property.

We will make sure to pass on your gracious comments to the team and especially to Kadek and Chef Dean.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Simon and the management team

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Seriously. How could be a hotel in the middle of rice fields be as good as what people have said here? When I think of rice fields, I imagine cows, stinky poops, flies, bugs, noise tractors, old buildings, etc. Well, rice fields in Bali are different. Somehow they turn them into romantic landscapes. The Chedi is no different. It is a romantic retreat. Staying at the Chedi, you become a privileged guest at what feels like a private sanctuary. This is a serene property set away from the hustle and bustle of the Ubud center but not far from it. Everything is kept up beautifully and the service is tops but not so over the top to make you feel uncomfortable. Everything clicks. The grounds are a photographer's dream. You can Eat, Pray & Love all on this property. Only problem is that your stay would be too short and that you have to say goodbyes.

Our stay (2 adults and a toddler) was in a 1 bedroom suite in Villa 20. This was a detached villa with plenty of room and with all the amenities you could possibly want. The outside bathroom works well and all the fixtures are modern. I was worried about the butler concept but that was proven to be one of the better attributes of the stay. The butler becomes part of your family and he/she genuinely makes things work. No pretentiousness here. The butler (probably better named as a "host") at the Chedi simply looks after your needs and takes care of things whether you realize it or not. Our butler Bawa became my son's favorite person in Bali and he still asks about him. The drivers are also very courteous and ever so careful on the roads, and you can find invaluable information about their culture and history (Karly (sp.) was especially informative) during the rides. This becomes part of the Chedi experience and lifetime of memories.

Try at least one dinner in the restaurant. You will find out why they only need just 1 on the property. Every evening, small candlelit lanterns are placed all over the property as the sun sets and just walking to the restaurant is a joy. Sometimes the price doesn't matter when you are surrounded by nature, live traditional music playing in the background, some spiritual sounds coming from the nearby temple, and all other sounds that the nature brings you. It almost feels like you are having a private dinner and more than a half dozen people to serve you. The price actually is reasonable and it is nice to just retreat to your villa after the dinner. Chef Dean cooks up some nice dishes and the presentation and service is excellent.

I was worried whether this was a kid friendly property. Other than some traditional artwork in the bathroom that my son was afraid of (we had to cover them up), there is nothing that would prevent us from coming back. However, it is certainly not the type of place that kids can run wild and bother other guests. There are honeymooners and couples on romantic getaways so kids should behave accordingly. The TV channels are limited and there are no kids channels. YouTube comes in handy (wifi is strong) but some streaming sites like Netflix would not work in Indonesia.

I suggest you walk out of the gates and turn right to see how the locals live. Actually go out when the sun rises as you get nice views of the mountains surrounded by rice fields. You will see a large Banyan tree by a temple. You might see women hauling huge offerings on their head. You see markets filled with people buying things. You might see farmers doing their morning ritual. You might able to taste freshest chicken satay. You might see people bathing and doing laundry in the streams. You will see how locals live. This is another advantage of staying at the Chedi.

The Chedi Club might not be the most luxurious hotel you will ever stay at. It does not have 10 different restaurants for you to choose from. But all the little thoughtful details make this property a whole and it is unlike anything else in the world.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Piaget18
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place is truly awesome. Words cannot describe how amazingly wonderful it is here - the service, ambiance and facilities are amazing! We really could not fault it. Thoroughly recommended - seriously impeccable!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing to be honest!
1  Thank Nana D
Reviewed June 6, 2013

In all, we have stayed at Chedi Club four times since 2011 and it is still our all time favourite!!
After we left Chedi Club in January this year, I kept thinking the reasons why it makes us return again and again. It is their service by heart. It is the team effort. It is the wonderful leadership there that motivates all the team to work together to ensure guests have a truly relaxing vacation. If you want to see and to be seen, you can go to Ayana. If you want a quiet, quality, and total relaxing vacation, you should go to Chedi Club. The service in Chedi Club is attentive, discreet, and thoughtful. In Chedi Club, it is like a little paradise on earth and you don't need to worry a thing. They take good care of you. What I am impressed is all the team is happy there. Our butler told us that the management is really nice to them and that is why they are providing the most impeccable service to their guests. Kudos to the management and all the members in the team!
We one time brought our friends to Chedi Club in October last year and they were also really impressed with the service and the stay there. We truly thank our wonderful butler, Supri, for making our stays always so pleasant and relaxing. We also thank General Manager Simon and Chef Dean for making Chedi Club so charming and a truly wonderful place to stay in Bali.
In our recent visit to Bali in January this year, we actually in all stayed at 3 different hotels -- Ayana (because I love beaches and ocean), Chedi Club (a must-stay whenever we visit Bali), and Royal Pita Maha (our friend highly recommended this one, so we decided to give it a try). We especially arranged staying at Chedi Club for my husband birthday because he really loves Chedi Club and I wanted to make it a birthday gift for him.
No words can describe how appreciative we are for the whole team in Chedi Club for making this birthday stay so unforgettable and marvelous!! Before we arrived, I secretly informed Chedi Club that I wanted to give my husband a surprise for his birthday. They indeed were preparing their best and, in the end, not only my husband was surprised but me too! First, at the breakfast in the morning, the whole team presented a little birthday cake with a candle, two glasses of champagne, and our favorite butler, Supri, presenting the birthday card. My husband was really surprised that the whole team at Chedi Club gave him this warm surprise. Then, General Manager Simon and Chef Dean came over to give my husband birthday wishes. Chef Dean also asked about our preferred dishes for the dinner and he was really trying his best to give us a truly tasty dinner (see photos attached). When we returned to our room after breakfast, Supri already made the most beautiful bed -- a birthday cake towel and white swans with flowers writing "Happy Birthday" (see the attached photo). This was not it -- Supri suggested the bale in the resort for our dinner venue. Little did we know that Supri really went extra miles decorating the bale (see the attached photo). We were really amazed and speechless. Chef Dean also came over to explain how he prepared for our dinner! During the whole dinner, Supri had to go between the kitchen and the bale (in the heavy rain) bringing our food. We felt so guilty to have him doing this in the heavy rain, so we told him that we would just walk to the restaurant for dessert so that he could go home and rest. What we felt was Supri was really doing his best to make us happy and he really did not mind doing anything extra. We really appreciate his very attentive service and his genuine heart for doing all he could to make sure we had a pleasant stay.
On the day when we had to move to Royal Pita Maha, as I was having a cold, Supri was so nice to find an empty one-bedroom suite for us to rest while we were waiting for the transportation from Royal Pita Mah.
Though we were staying at Royal Pita Maha, we still went back to Chedi Club to enjoy the Kecak Dance by the villagers. You can't miss it if you stay at Chedi Club. We enjoyed it so very much and also stayed for the dinner there. It was a unique dinner incorporating local cultural characteristic. Though we were not the hotel guests at that time, the service was still flawless!
We always like to stay at the pool villa in Chedi Club and my husband always like to swim in the villa pool and rest at the villa bale. The room is always clean and comfy. I always like the detailed Balinese style decoration.
We can't thank Chedi Club enough for always giving us a great vacation there. We will certainly return to Chedi Club again! Yes, after staying 4 times, Chedi Club is still the one -- our home away from home!

Room Tip: Pool Villa is always our preference!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank margarita_red2006
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team at The Club, we sincerely thank you for a beautiful review. We were very happy to read that you had a wonderful experience. It was very nice to welcome you back again to the Chedi Club and we are delighted that you enjoyed your fourth stay with us. Supri and Chef Dean were pleased to hear that they were able to create a memorable stay for you.

All of us are very much looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Simon and the management team