“The most thoughtful hotel”

The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel
Ranked #9 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
New England
“The most thoughtful hotel”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Pre-hotel arrival:
We arrived at the airport and after customs were met by one of the hotels guides. He helped us with our luggage and headed out of the airport to meet our driver Wayan. The drive to the resort was about an hour and took us through a few parts of the island.

Hotel:
We were met by Japa who would be our butler for the week. Japa took us on our quick tour of the property before delivering us to Villa 11, our home away from home.

We decided to book a pool villa at the hotel so that we would have some privacy and a larger room. I was a bit saddened to find that we were not given one of the pool villas that look overlook the rice fields, but I couldn't be too upset seeing how beautiful everything was. Inside the pool villa's you are offered a large bed, chair and table (with fresh fruit daily like Salak, mandarin, strawberries, grapes, and apples), flat screen tv, bose sound system, complimentary mini bar (vodka, scotch, beer, water, sparkling water, juice, plus snacks), two dressers (with hangers and shelves), a desk and chair, power adaptors, his and hers sinks, separate toilet area, rain shower, and outdoor tub and garden area. Outside the pool villa you are offered a large pool, day bed, two lounges, a dining area, water features, and a pantry (with fridge, tea pot, coffee maker, sink, and utensils).

Our hotel room was always clean and welcoming, although it did show some wear and tear. One of the lounge chair cushions was moldy and should really be cleaned or thrown out, some of the furniture was a bit banged up, but that happens.
Japa was a terrific help to us over the week. He constantly went above and beyond our expectations. Japa was able to arrange car service for us at any time, book restaurant reservations, reserve tours (Mt Batur Trek, Temple and Waterfall Tour), and left us special touches in our room. The 1st night we found an Elephant towel arrangement on our bed. The 2nd night we found two elephants and flower petals spelling out “have a nice dream”. Finally, for our Anniversary, we found swans in the shape of a heart, roses, flower petals, plates and utensils for a dairy free gelatin cake, and a full tub filled with flower petals. So touching!

Restaurant:
The hotel was pretty accommodating towards my dairy allergy. The hotel staff was already aware of it thanks to my travel agent. At the restaurant I wasn’t ever able to eat any bread but the rest of my meals were always accommodated. The hotel was even able to make me dairy free banana pancakes for breakfast. Afternoon tea was always tasty but I was disappointed that the hotel never came up with a non-dairy sweet other than tempura fruit. For comparison, we dined at The Four Season one night. The Four Seasons had 5 hours notice for my allergy and were able to accommodate my entire meal including the creation of two desserts for me (a layered rice cake and a type of panna cotta triangle).

During our stay we tried and loved the tea, coffee, fruit juice (pineapple, orange, and ginger) fruit plates (watermelon, passion fruit, strawberries, guava, dragonfruit), poached eggs, hashbrowns, banana pancakes, Martabak, and Chicken Curry at breakfast. For lunch we enjoyed Mie Goreng (fried noodles), Nasi Goreng (fried rice), Satay Babi, Rueben sandwich and Burgers. For dinner we mostly ate out, however, we highly recommend the Indonesian Rijstaffel at the hotel.

Check out:
Japa called to see if we were ready for check out. We were picked up in the golf cart and brought to reception. After settling our bill the Assistant Manager came over to see how our stay was. She also presented us with a package of rice from their fields and the recipe for their Nasi Goreng. Again another thoughtful touch! Our driver took us back to the airport. Unfortunately, this time there was tons of traffic and the ride took us two hours. We were met by another representative and were told that he would help us check in and take us through immigration. We walked through the airport, through security, and arrived at the ticket counters. There was a massive line for check in at Malaysia Airlines. At this point the hotel representative dropped us in line pointed where we would go after and left. Not so thoughtful but we understood.

Things to note:
There isn’t a need to pre-book tours, restaurant reservations etc. before arriving in Bali. This was the first trip that I went with the flow and I am so glad that I did. The Chedi Club helped make everything seamless!

The hotel does offer free car service into Ubud during the day time hours. After 6 p.m. The fee is 121,000 rupiah each way or 205,700 each way outside of Ubud. We also read reviews where the guests were given cell phones to call for pick ups. We were only given a phone once out of the entire week. They obviously don’t have one for every room. This was a bit of a problem on several occasions.

The food is expensive, our Rijstaffel and drinks came to 1,343,100 rupiah but taking into consideration the convience, the food, and the atmosphere. We found it was well worth it.

We both highly recommend a stay at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the rice paddy.
3 Thank WanderlustHrts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We've just spent 3 days in another Paradise at the Chedi Club. It seemed like a week. How can anyone fault this hotel...they aspire to world class and if the slightest glitch happens they will move heaven and earth to rectify it...

For those who think TQM was a passing fad, it is alive and kicking at CC.

Where do I start?

From the moment of your arrival you will feel like a privileged guest at the most private of house party weekends. The setting is simply idyllic...like being in the middle of your own technicolour movie.

The people are the real deal, from PUSPA and DEAN, through PUTRA all the way to Shugi, Alfie and the rest. Everyone smiles all the time. No stage actors here. They are easy and joyous company and nothing but nothing is too much trouble.

They are so willing that one feels almost too embarrassed to ask. On our last morning, Putra, our delightful butler, came in an hour early, in his own time, just to take my wife on a delightful one hour walk through the Paddy fields.

And Dean...he is a perfectionist...a master craftsman of a Chef, previously in top venues in Singapore, his idol is Hester Blumenthal and he cited Marco Pierre White as one of the "big guns"...

Yes there is a set menu, but give Dean a chance to show off his culinary passion and consummate skills by ordering outside the menu. One tip...as in so many places across the world, spicy food is under-spiced because of too many wimps who might send it bac. But again just ask and it will either be spiced up or a dish of chopped chillis brought to the table.

OK the wine is outrageously expensive but that is because of the crazy 350% government tax,which must be damaging tourism to some degree. Seriously good cuisine like Dean can produce demands the best complementary wines but even Indonesian stuff is $40 a bottle!

However there are so many compensations: a complimentary minibar and decanters of Johnny Walker Red Label and vodka in your room; decadent afternoon tea served in the middle of lakes and countryside; free cocktails; and special dining evenings. If you're very good Dean will cook you a special tasting menu. Why would you want to go to the Dirty Duck instead?

However, if you do fancy a brief sojourn in nearby Ubud to engage in bargaining with the natives (try 60% off in the old market) or wander among scores of Macaques in the Monkey Forest at feeding time, the Chedi Club will lay on free transport.

All this and sheer luxury...we shall definitely be back.

Thanks to all.

Room Tip: There are only 20 to choose from. All just great.
1 Thank rougepierretc
TheChediClubUbud, General Manager at The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud, Bali – a GHM hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at the Chedi Club Ubud. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to the entire team. We agree that our staff are our greatest asset at the resort, and comments like yours help us to continuing to focus on service and product quality.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcome you back to the Chedi Club soon.

Kind regards,

Simon and the management team
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is a wonderful, wonderful place for a calming, romantic getaway. It's not big or pretentious like some luxury hotels, but instead manages to envelop you in the magic of the natural surroundings. We stayed at the Chedi for our Honeymoon and found the Chedi to be the perfect combination of beautiful grounds, intimate atmosphere and incredible staff, and all for less money than we payed at any of the other hotels during our trip to Bali. This is one place we will definitely go back to.

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to top this magical hotel (more of a private villa resort) and by reeding some of the other reviews and typing this while back at home I really start to miss the Chedi. Next to being an amazing beautiful 5* property with spa, excellent F&B and accommodations it's really the service that makes the difference. Anything From tailor made shopping itineraries to 06:00 sunrise rice paddy tracking, nothing is to crazy. If given the opportunity I wild defiantly come back and would recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheCulinistBlog
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at the Chedi Club Ubud. It was a great pleasure that I read through your review and I truly appreciate your writing to us to express such gracious comments about the property and the services.

Kind regards,

Simon and the management team
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Let me summarise this review before I even start: PERFECTION. I really mean that. This was hands down the best hotel I've ever stayed at and, short of providing your own personal helicopter to ferry you around in, I cannot see how the experience could have been any better.

We stayed here 4 nights as part of our honeymoon trip that also included the Shangri-La in Singapore (3 nights) and the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel (5 nights). By the way, I recommend this combination immensely as the 3 hotels all had something different to offer and we found the timings worked well. We certainly saved the best for last though…

On arrival our BUTLER was waiting for us. Yes you heard me, you get your own butler. Ours was called Komang. Komang took us up the steps and we boarded a golf buggy for the short ride up to reception. Here things are clearly different. There is no typical reception desk where you have to fill out a load of forms. Instead you are led to a sofa, brought a cold face towel and cold drink with some nibbles. Then your butler brings the paperwork to you and takes care of everything else. The manager, Simon Spiller, even came over to welcome us (nice touch). Once checked-in our butler gave us a tour of the grounds on the golf buggy. Stunning doesn't do it justice. You are surrounded by rice paddies and the grounds consist of perfectly manicured lawns and serene ponds with swans (white and black!). You don't feel like you are at a hotel. It's more like a private retreat. Throughout we felt like we were staying at a friend's villa. It's intimate and tranquil.

We had a One Bedroom Suite. I expected this to be in part of a big building but instead we were just 1 of 3 rooms in a small villa-like building, and the other suites are standalone buildings. So wherever you are you feel like you're in your own property. The room was huge, with a big bed, lots of space and a lounge area. Highlights included the complimentary mini-bar (re-stocked daily), the complimentary carafes of Vodka and Whisky (Johnnie Walker Red Label), and the pre-loaded iPod. You then head to the bathroom and here there are a few surprises, namely as you open the door and find yourself outside! Yes the toilet, bath and shower are all outside (but covered). It's a lovely space but it takes a bit of getting used to. There is no privacy if you're on the toilet so get comfortable with one another!

Continuing the awesomeness, afternoon tea is served 4-6pm and can be taken at the restaurant, pool or your villa. This is followed by cocktail hour 6-7pm. All of this is complimentary by the way and it's free top-ups of tea and cocktails until the clock runs out. We're not big drinker but you could always squeeze two in :)

There is only one restaurant on-site. You can head into Ubud but this place was too nice to leave. The food was exquisite. It was fine-dining. Wow. Not cheap though. 4 nights here cost us twice as much as 5 nights in Nusa Dua. You dine among pads fields lit by candles. I can't explain how magical it is.

Accommodation and food are one thing (and are both excellent) but where the Chedi really excels is in it's staff and service. Komang, our butler, was absolutely brilliant in every way. He would tend to anything we needed and pre-empt anything we'd not thought of, such as bringing a torch to us at the restaurant so we could easily walk back in the dark, to putting out the mosquito repellent in the bathroom and leaving ice in the room should we want a night-cap. Komang was also very friendly and we enjoyed our chats with him. At the pool the staff lay out your towels for you, then bring you ice water, cold face towels, face-spray and suncream. After 20 minutes or so they bring you coconut milk/water as a refresher and some nibbles. Everywhere we went the staff addressed us by our names. Little touches that really cemented an exceptional experience.

Just to really hammer home how amazing the services was - We had to leave at 5am to get our flight home. Our butler, Komang, came to work early to make sure we got away OK (he had had only 2 hours sleep!). On top of that he put together a little take-away breakfast box for us to eat on the way…!

Sorry to gush so much but this really was such an amazing experience from start to finish and was the perfect end to our honeymoon. I just wish it wasn't so far away to visit again! You just have to go.

Room Tip: You really don't need anything more than a One Bedroom Suite, unless there's more than 2 of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DougieDM
Balikpapan, Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia
Reviewed May 11, 2013

As a hotelier who considers himself fairly well travelled I am impressed, I must be impressed I am writing a glaring review and have not even left, an act I reserve for customers. I have the good fortune of staying in a spa villa with its own sauna indoor/ outdoor facilities, there is certainly no nickel and dime in the inclusions and offerings of amenities, the accommodation extremely comfortable and expansive some 160 square meters of space. The grounds are meticulous and the attention to detail clear, bring a book, iPad etc. so many options and secret bales to make you feel you are here alone. The team efficient and absolutely warm and display a level of comfort in engagement not regularly found in Bali. Oh yes I am a Bali hotelier and will be back in the very near future, as this team coupled with the facilities make the decision easy. Only complaint is the entrance is soo difficult to find but isn't that the case of most magical locations.

Room Tip: Stay in the Spa Villa as is convenient especially given the inclusions offered by the Resort
il
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We are not a couple that would normally dish out this much money for a hotel, but we splurged given that it was our honeymoon. The stunning location, the impeccable service, the food, and the included amentities all made us feel as if we made the right decision to splurge.

We had personal butler service with our pool villa. At first we were a little uncomfortable with the idea of someone serving us all day long but quickly relaxed into the notion. Really, how many times in life do you get the opportunity to feel completely taken care of, not in a periodic and superficial way but in a way that really makes you feel special for several days?

I am partial to the ocean, and you will not get that here, but at the same time the setting is incomparable to any other hotel I've ever been to. It's a boutique hotel with few guests and very spread out grounds in the middle of a rice paddy field. It's peaceful, spiritual, and magical, with beautiful flowers, swans, candlelight, and the sound of frogs croaking at night. I did miss the ocean a bit while I was there, but in hindsight, this setting / ambience stands out more in my memory than any sea-side locale. In the midst of busy Chicago, it doesn't even feel like a place like this place could really exist.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple