WINNER WONDERLAND

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #9 of 183 Hotels in Ubud
“Be transported”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stayed at Uma for two nights at the end of a 2 week vacation in Bali. I wanted to treat myself to a bit of luxury before heading back to NYC. Upon arrival I was greeted courteously and informed my room was not yet ready, no matter because I was shown to a very comfortable sitting area next to the bar and overlooking the pool and given a lovely welcome drink. I lounged for approximately 25 minutes and then was escorted to my room. It was hidden behind a low wall for ultimate privacy. When the door was opened, to my delight, I had to walk across a stone footpath surrounded by a koi pond to reach my quarters! Yes, I said "my quarters". There were three areas, the first one I saw was an outdoor sitting area, overlooking the pond, with two chairs (I would later read here) that connected the spacious bedroom and partially outdoor bathroom, complete with black stone soaking tub. I loved this room so much I didn't leave it for 24 hours! The bed was heaven, bathroom was gorgeous and the hotel provided every amenity one could possibly need for a comfortable stay.

I booked through Tablet Hotels. My stay included breakfast, which was delicious and generous. I also got a scrub and massage at the spa, which were both excellent. I didn't have the opportunity to use the infinity pool unfortunately, due to the weather. When it came time for me to check out the hotel stored my bags for a full 8 hours until that night when I had to leave for the airport. The essential oil I was given upon my departure was a lovely touch. All in all a superb stay!

One note, the hotel is a bit outside of Ubud center. There is a shuttle bus, though I think more daily runs should be added. There are a good number of restaurants, galleries and boutiques within walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jennifer G
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you so much for staying with us recently and for taking your time to write such a great review. I hope you arrived home in NYC feel relaxed after your 2 weeks break in Bali.

We are very happy to learn that you loved our room, enjoyed our food and spa, and most importantly you had a lovely time with us. Your suggestion on our shuttle bus is highly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully you will stay a little longer next time.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

This holiday was planned by my wife for my 40th birthday celebration and our 11th year anniversary. We were meant to go Maldives...so you can imagine, my expectations were sky high when she mentioned we were going to Bali instead. And I must say the Uma met every bit of that expectation!

We stayed in Uma for 4 days and 3 nights. On arrival, we were met by the Manager, Suteja, who came persoanlly to greet us and said that he would like to make our stay in Bali a really memorable one, and he did not disappoint us. The staff in Uma all spoke great English, and everyone there knew exactly what they were doing - which meant that service was excellent. Most of the staff working in Uma have been there for many years (we found out through the various conversations we had with the friendly staff), and thus, they knew exactly what we needed and when.

The morning walk amongst the padi fields and yoga classes were well organized, and at the right time, just before breakfast! Breakfast tasted great, and whilst we had the same menu for 3 days, the selection was just right for the days we were there. My wife enjoyed the healthy brown rice with soup and shredded chicken so much, she had it for 3 days in a row!

The location is great, with many beautiful art galleries and nice eateries around the vicinity. We were spoilt for choice with both local and foreign delights. We were also pleased that it wasn't as crowded as Kuta or Seminyak - but we could get to those places by cab if we needed some shopping.

This is our first visit to a Como property, and with this experience, you can be assured we will be back for more!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Jaychanster
Dear Jaychanter,

It was a pleasure hosting you at Uma and thank you for choosing Uma by COMO, Ubud to celebrate your 40th Birthday and your 11th wedding anniversary.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that Uma can be part of your celebration.

We look forward to welcoming you back and spending your special moments at Uma.

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at Uma and the experience is absolutely wonderful!We were lucky to be upgraded to the Como villa which is amazing! Huge villa with amazing view, private terrace, pool, sun deck area and our own jacuzzi! We are so comfortable in our villa that we are reluctant to go anywhere. The service at Uma is also worth mentioning. Superb service and the staffs pay attention to every single details to ensure that we have a good stay with them. We asked for Laksa breakfast which is off the new menu and they took the trouble to prepare it for us! We would definitely recommend anyone looking for a piece of paradise to stay in Uma. We will definitely stay in Uma again!
P.S. Must try their massage. Best massage ever!

Stayed July 2014
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Jesselyn K,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma by COMO, Ubud and for sharing such a great review.

Our COMO Villa is indeed amazing as it has very generous space indoor and outdoor, gives a wide open view to Wos River valley and easy access to our COMO Shambhala retreat facilities. We are happy that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we are particularly delighted that our team provided you with superb services.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma soon.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

With husbands on a fishing trip we decided on a girls getaway for 5 nights to Bali. I have stayed on Cocoa island, another Como property, and had had my eye on Uma Ubud for a while. All expectations were met and exceeded!

Extra cost to get through visa control at the airport avoided a very long queue. Hotel van driver did spend the whole drive up telling us how expensive the hotel was in every aspect and how everything would be cheaper if we avoided eating, drinking, tours there. I understand everyone is out to get your business but he was so insistent and repetitive we eventually pretended to sleep.

We booked one of the new pool suite rooms - very large, light/airy and cool in the heat of the day. Bathroom was beautiful with freestanding bath and shower half open to the outside. For friends travelling together the shower and toilet both have clear glass doors from the ensuite so not a lot of privacy. We didn't swim in the courtyard pool - partly because it was in the shade all day and partly because the main pool area was just so lovely! If I come back I would book a verandah room or pool villa.

All the common areas at the hotel are just beautiful. Pool area was so pretty especially the flower draped pergola. The pool are was mostly empty in the mornings and filled up in the afternoon but we never failed to get a couple of sunbeds.

Breakfast is fantastic - all al a carte with varied choices (french toast with mango curd and caramelised banana was a winner) plus fresh juices, pastries, fruits and delicious gourmet yogurts. The setting is so relaxing surrounded by ponds and foliage.

Ate at the italian restaurant a couple of nights and food/atmosphere was also very good here.

Three treatments at the spa - Shambhala massage (fav), royal javanese bath (long!) and facial.

Staff around the resort were so lovely. Every time we returned to the hotel after our trips out we would wonder why we ever left! A feeling of calm enveloped me the whole time I was there.

Bali is a second home for many people from Perth but we met no Australians the whole time we were at the hotel or out and about! Fellow guests were mostly couples, a fair few of them honeymooners and all that we got chatting to were very friendly.

Tours booked through the hotel went off without a hitch. White water rafting is heaps of fun, visits to temples (purification temple is a must see), morning walks. Brunch at Como Shambhala was very relaxing.

Thanks for a great stay and I will be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Perthmila6,

Thank you for your recent stay at Uma and for taking your time to write such a wonderful review.

I am delighted that you had fabulous 5 days in Ubud with your friends. Ubud is a perfect destination to have funs with friends and at the same time exploring what Bali is all about. I am glad that you enjoyed our room, our cuisine, spa, and activities as well as you had the opportunity to visit our sister property COMO Shambhala Estate. We are particularly happy to know that our team exceeded your expectation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to uma very soon.

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stated here for 3 nights during our honeymoon. Whilst the villas were lovely we didn't fully appreciated that the outdoor bathroom would mean we had to do a lizard check every time we used it. Our bedroom was okay however the outside area where we were told we could have coffee was covered in ants and very dark. We counted 28 ants that had came into our room overnight on our last night. We also had a bird in our room for 3 nights (the roof is not fixed to the walls) and keep us awake for the majority of the time we were there. We also had a lizard in our room and couldn't unpack our cases due to insects possibly crawling on our clothes and there not being enough storage.The bathrooms themselves were beautiful and there were lots of small touches like lit candles on the first night if our arrival and our toiletries being put into size order. The only downside was that more attention could have been given to other things such as the empty bottle of wine and glasses that was left outside our door for 2 days which we had to ask to be taken away. The location was good for walking into Ubud. Monkey forest road is the place to go for some lovely bars and lots of restaurant. The morning walk was very educational. The food at Cucina was really good but the restaurant was very quiet and the food was overpriced. We paid the same price as a main for a regular glass of wine. The breakfast was lovely and there was a good variety. The pool area was very clean although there are not enough loungers compared to guests. Try to avoid staying in room 12 if you can!!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank BumbleBee023
Uma-ResortManager, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear BumbleBee023,

Thank you so much for choosing Uma Ubud to spend your honeymoon and we are grateful for being part of your celebration.

We are glad that you loved your room, Uma Cucina, our breakfast as well as our main pool. It was very unfortunate that you experienced a bird entering your bathroom. Although the design of our Garden Room bathroom is semi-open it is for the first time I heard such incident. Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort it caused you during your stay. Your comments are highly appreciated.

Once again, thank you for sharing such a constructive feedback.

With best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Uma by Como was perfection. The staff were wonderful and the room was beautiful. We couldn't have asked for anything more. Best of all was the breakfast every morning! Delicious. If you love yoga, you will love the yoga room, it has the most wonderful view and so peaceful. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank EllieTheRetriever
Dear EllieTheRetriever,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your time to share your experience at Uma.

We are excited to know that you loved all aspects of your stay and we are particularly happy that our team have exceeded your expactation. Yoga is indeed one of our highlight among other great wellness experiences we offered at COMP Shambhala spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Uma.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

The experiences starts when you disembark- with the Greeter who
whisks you through Visa & Security in the blink of an eye- then the Uma Car and charming driver starts you on The Uma journey..
The stunning serenity of this beautiful property strikes you the moment
get out of the car- with smiling staff and a delightful `Open Air Reception'
Check in is swift- and before we knew it- we open the doors to our superb 1bedroom Pool Villa- offering a breathtaking view over the river-valley- and you just automatically start to relax. Our divine villa is tucked behind its own private doors- and every inch of the villa just oozes a soothing chic style. The property is a bit further out than I'd imagined but
that is what is so appealing!! Just `far enough' away from the crowds of now-busy bustling MonkeyForest Road- Uma welcomes you back to its calm & peace. If you miss the free shuttle - its about $ 2.00 to make your way back to the Resort in your own time. The `public' pool for those who dont have the luxury of their own plunge-pool' occupies the main area beyond Reception- and the open terrace Bar and deck area is most inviting- morning noon & night! The relax area- with comfy couches, books & mags , games boards ( close to the Bar) is a great place which many guests obviously took good advantage of! On the first night, we sampled their newest dining addition- the stunning Uma Cucina! Divine romantic setting and wonderful Italian-inspired menu- with the Chef's personal `twist' in some dishes- which absolutely WOW the taste-buds! Breakfast is a couple of levels `down' from the main area-in a gorgeous open-air setting overlooking water fountains & Gold fish pond ( the staff provide bread for you to feed the fish and watch the feeding frenzy! Breakfast had a surprisingly extensive menu- from the mouth watering to the healthy options ( also deceptively yummy!!) it was just the best way to start the day!!. Resorty is complete with Spa & Beauty salon and The Gym- UMA by Como is just a noteworthy & unique resort that really encompasses the serenity Ubud is loved for.
So- what else makes this resort a `cut above the rest- are the staff!
Always smiling- even the gardeners turn to greet you as you walk-on-by..!! From front desk reception - who always `welcome you back ( even if you just `popped across the road to grab a few snacks & Bintangs to relax by our plunge pool)- to all of the eateries staff- everyone just seems to be on stand-by to ensure any need is met!
I wandered around the property one afternoon and was staggered how large it actually was- with Villas tucked away all up & down the valley-side. The Pool Villas have the absolute best views over the valley- all the rooms are spacious airy and `just divine'
UMA by COMO- as a 30year Travel consultant ( who always like to stay somewhere different to any repeat destination-visits) I am promising ` I`ll be back!! and sooner rather than later. Everything here was beyond reproach. HONEYMOONERS- if you are considering UBUD as your 1st stop in Bali- dont go anywhere else- UMA by COMO is the perfect way to start a new beginning! To everyone else.. just go and leave with an A-mazing experience you wont forget!!
Traci Webb, Virtuoso Travel Advisor

Room Tip: HANG any small difference to have a Pool Villa! Ubud is usually a 3-4night stay- so this difference...