“Great stay in Ubud, Bali. Hotel Uma by Como.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of COMO Uma Ubud

COMO Uma Ubud
Ranked #14 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
NYC
“Great stay in Ubud, Bali. Hotel Uma by Como.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful stay in the Uma by Como in Ubud.
Everything is designed with taste; the hotel is elegant and minimalist with a great Indonesian flavor.
The infinity pool was wonderful with great lounge chairs and surrounded by greenery, we didn't wan to leave it.
The rooms were spacious and luxurious, with a sweet canopy bed and fantastic bathroom including both a great soaking tub and indoor open shower.
The staff was very attentive and friendly, they truly made us feel at home. The restaurant was fantastic, breakfast a la carte menu with great indonesian and international choices. The location is unbeatable, just far enough from the busiest part of Ubud, but still close enough to explore the town and being able to walk to the center if you wish.
There are a few great shops and restaurants just across from the hotel as well as a nice walk within rice paddies nearby.

1 Thank sebipla
COMO-GSM, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear sebipla

I'm happy to read your positive review of Uma and thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience on TripAdvisor.

I'm particularly glad that you made a special mention of Uma's location. As your review says, Uma is well positioned on the quiet edge of inner Ubud, just a short 30-40 minute stroll into the centre of town. Many of our guests come to Ubud to enjoy peace, quiet, relaxation and greenery, and thankfully, our location offers that with the ability to easily access the hustle and bustle of Ubud itself.

Thank you also for tipping your hat to our team. It was no doubt their's, just as it was my pleasure hosting you.

Best regards

Gede Suteja
Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. We would definitely recommend this hotel for honeymoon or just for a pleasant stay in Ubud. The rooms are very well maintained and are gorgeous. We had a coy pond in our private front entranceway! The bathrooms very large and are partially open-air, with marble and granite. Beautiful. Upon arrival we were upgraded, without even asking! The grounds are beautiful with very well maintained gardens and trees. The breakfast was continuously outstanding and the dinner was very nice as well. One aspect that clearly stood out for us was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. All staff were always willing to help, smiling and went above and beyond. The only downfall of this hotel is that is it about a 30 minute walk to downtown Ubud. This isnt such a problem considering there are taxis everywhere!!! that cost about 2$ trip one way.
Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel for any occasion. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mrslovinlife

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of Uma and for your sincere recommendation of Uma to fellow travelers and honeymooners alike. I'm particularly happy that you, like many of our guests, enjoyed our cuisine, decor and facilities. But above all, I'm most happy to read that it was the service you received that you remember the most.

We look forward to you returning to another COMO Hotels and Resorts property soon.

With best regards

Gede Suteja
Resort Manager
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed in Uma at the end of a honeymoon and really liked it - we would stay there again. Some of the best points were:

- The food was the best of anywhere we stayed in Indonesia, in particular we loved the cooking class. For me this was the main standout feature of our stay. We stayed in some more expensive hotels elsewhere on our trip and the food at Uma was just much better. The kitchen and service staff were also fantastic.
- The staff spoke better English than anywhere else we stayed.
- They run a few free activites we liked, such as a morning walk before breakfast and afternoon yoga every day
- They run an evening cocktail 'happy hour' in their relaxed and stylish bar and the cocktails were great
- The Spa was really extensive and high quality

Some reservations I had

- Some of the rooms had air conditioning units which smelt slightly damp (possibly need cleaning or upgrading).
- I felt the airport transfer was a bit expensive ($50) and they were a bit unhelpful helping me arrange a normal taxi back to the airport when I left. In the end they did help out and gave me a discount on their transfer, but I just found this process odd and a bit irritating.
- We were on honeymoon and they didn't do anything out of the ordinary for us (which is fine, of course, but is something we found the other hotels we stayed at all did)

1 Thank Mike G
COMO-GSM, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Mike G

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your encouraging review of Uma. I'm particularly happy to learn that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay with us including our complimentary activities and Uma's cuisine and beverage service (apparently the most out of your entire stay in Bali - so thank you). We also appreciate your acknowledging our staff and their skills. Each of our staff attend a weekly class to make serving our valued guests an easy exercise, so thank you for appreciating their effort.

I'm am, however, particularly disappointed to learn that your honeymoon wasn't noted during your stay. We very much enjoy extending a particularly special gift to our honeymooners. So I am sincerely apologetic that we did not capture your honeymoon status and contribute to your celebrations. I have contacted you separately to detail how we might correct this should you ever return to Bali. But for the benefit of future honeymooners reading this post, you only need to present a copy of your recent marriage certificate to our team at check-in to receive a gesture of congratulations from everyone at Uma.

I am saddened, however, to read that fifty dollars for a one hundred minute transfer to the airport was perceived as excessive. Unfortunately, metered taxis do not exist in Ubud. They're banned by the local government to help preserve work opportunities for locals and taxis from the South of Bali are prohibited to commence journeys within Ubud's locality. Your experience and frustration is certainly not unique and I empathise with visitors coming from countries where taxis are the norm. As explained in a previous reply, Uma provides premium transport services at a fixed rate with English speaking drivers in clean vehicles that are safety checked and road-worthy. Yes, cheaper privately owned transport options can be hailed from the street, however the experience is rarely of the same quality.

We thank you for your stay and your review and are happy to know that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Uma should your travel plans ever bring you again to Bali.

With best regards

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon and were so lucky to get upgraded to one of their uma pool villas! It was sheer luxury--amazing suite, private plunge pool with beautiful view, even the towels were soft and fluffy. The staff were all friendly, breakfasts were delicious and they offered different mixed juices every day. We only saw a few couples during our stay, no children, so the hotel and pool area were quiet and relaxing.
Location-wise, it's a short walk to the main shopping area but its right opposite Naughty Nuri's (amazing ribs) and Mozaic.
Sadly we didn't have to time to try out their yoga sessions, but we will definitely want to come back to this beautiful hotel!

Dear Galexy15

Thank you for your review of Uma by COMO, Ubud and for encouraging others to stay with us.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed many of our service points and that your stay was a memorable one - even if it was only for our fluffy towels.

We look forward to welcoming you back and getting you into at least one of our daily complimentary yoga classes held by our very friendly instructors.

With warmest regards

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you've never heard about Uma By Como Hotel in Ubud before, it may be not your fault. But you'll regret not knowing it forever. Uma Ubud is just like a dream coming true. It is so beautiful, so perfect, one would never want to go back home. And that was my case! Indonesians, and specially Balineses, are very gentle, fond and caring people. And at Uma Ubud it couldn't be different. All staff, from managers to gardeners, they were all so eager to make us comfortable and happy! That's what I call the spirit of a team, where training has been carried to its utmost standards. Much has been already written about this great hotel (maybe Ubud's best), and I'll just stress three special itens to me: 1) The Restaurant - always wonderful, from breakfast to dinner, with waiters so kind and interested in fullfilling your needs, knowing by heart your name and greeting you always with a big and sincere smile. There was even one waiter, that I can't recall his name (shame on me, but Indonesians names are very hard for Brazilians), that knew the names and careers of all Brazilian soccer stars playing abroad. Amazing!; 2) The Room - quiet, silent, a veranda overlooking Ubud's misty mountains and ... peace. What else one could want?; and 3) The Spa - the best and most beautiful spa premises I've visited while in Indonesia. A pond, hundreds of golden fishes and Mr. Putu Suyasa Dharmaputta, one of the best body therapists I've ever met in my life. Very professional, Mr. Putu will literally "kill" all trigger points acquired in long airplane journeys. If you still have some doubts about booking a hotel in Ubud, I bet they are over now. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Room 33. A room with a view to the misty mountains of Bali. Wonderful bathroom facilities, with an o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
COMO-GSM, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear luizdutraneto

To say that Uma is 'perhaps Ubud's best' is a big and hugely appreciated statement.

As far as reviews go, I cannot think of a more perfect or heartfelt review a hotelier would want to read. I'm glad what you experienced here at Uma gave you reason to write and I imagine many guests will book a stay with us as a result of reading your post. So I thank you!

I'm also glad that you had the opportunity to experience Putu's magical hands. Lucky for him, he heads for our new Maldivian resort Maalifushi by COMO next week. Thankfully, however, we've a few more wonderfully talented therapists in our COMO Shambhala spa who've also undergone the 200+ hours of training required to become a COMO Shambhala therapist and deliver our superlative treatments.

Wishing you wonderful future travels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in Uma for a long weekend as part of a much longer trip to Singapore and Indonesia. Uma was above and beyond the best hotel that we stayed in. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful, with a great restaurant, spa and infinity pool. However, what was most impressive was the absolutely exemplary levels of customer service displayed by everyone at the hotel. I had the misfortune to fall quite badly and injure my ankle at a resort in a different part of Bali earlier that week and so was confined to crutches for our stay in Uma. We had forgotten to tell Uma that I had injured my ankle before we turned up, but the hotel completely bent over backwards to accommodate me. Our room was reallocated immediately at check-in to a room closer to the pool with fewer steps to access, room service tray charges were waived so I didn't have to make the trek to the restaurant each morning for breakfast (quite tricky on crutches!) and the hotel kindly dropped my boyfriend and I off to restaurants within walking distance of the hotel to save us having to get a taxi. All members of staff were both very competent and incredibly friendly, often stopping to chat and engage in relaxed and friendly conversation when clearly very busy with other things. I've been quite fortunate to be able to stay in a few hotels comparable to Uma over the past couple of years with great customer service - but this was, in all honesty, a level of customer service above and beyond anything I've ever experienced before. I would definitely return (hopefully not on crutches).

Dear schnowball

Unfortunately, I was away from Uma during your stay. But it's even more satisfying reading your review and comments and to learn that our caring staff offered you their typically wonderful and attentive service to you.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and everything about Uma. We're humbled by your comments, particularly in that you're a very seasoned traveler. I particularly thank you for honouring our team and have no doubt each and every one of them joins me in saying thank you for staying with us. We wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to your return to Uma, minus crutches.

With warmest regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spent 3 days at the Uma as part of our honeymoon in Bali. The Uma is firstly a perfect base for exploring Ubud and the surrounding area. In addition, the hotel itself is brilliant. It is clean, the service is exceptional, the views, rooms and pool are out of this world.

We stayed in a room with a garden bathroom and fishpond and it was beautiful. The rooms are very big, the bathroom was the nicest I have ever had in all my travels and made our stay. We took more photos of the room than anything else.

The staff were very helpful too. We used them to book us a trip to the Elephant safari park and this was very helpful.

The breakfast was the best we had throughout our time in Bali. The location of the restaurant is almost as nice as the breakfast itself!

The only point to note is that the taxi's that the hotel book for you are twice as expensive as you will get if you simply walk out on to the mainroad and take up the offer from one of the drivers who will approach you. I know this sounds quite dodgy and I had reservations about taking taxi trips with the guys on the street but they were all very good and as there livelihood depends on people trusting the taxi drivers you should not be nervous about using these guys.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
COMO-GSM, Manager at COMO Uma Ubud, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Gavin C

It's a pleasure to read how you enjoyed your stay and the service you received at Uma. The bathrooms in our Water Garden Rooms are also my favourite. They enjoy a wonderful sense-of-place that gently reminds you you're somewhere unique - like in Bali.

Indeed, it is unfortunate that a regulated taxi service doesn't exist in Ubud. Having this would make offering guests transport much easier for everyone involved. instead, what does exist and as you've already mentioned, is a culture of drivers who can be approached on the street. As there are no meters, you must negotiate the price to your destination with the driver and as there is no central reservations service, the hotel is unable to call a street-car to the hotel for you. The quality and safety of the street-cars varies significantly, yet despite this, there's no doubt these cars and the service their drivers provide have their place in the local economy and the culture of Ubud. At Uma, offering a premium service for our guests is our focus. Our cars are always immaculately presented, certified road worthy and driven by English-speaking drivers. Naturally, this comes at a cost, but we're happy to be able to provide our guests with a choice.

Thank you once again for your supportive review.