“A little jewel close to the monkey forest”
Review of Villa Sonia

Villa Sonia
Ranked #19 of 598 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed May 2, 2014

4 days we stayed in Ubud and we were lucky that we chose Villa Sonia.
The hospitality of the people is unbeatable. We felt welcome and home right away. The garden villas are so clean, everything was perfect for us. The pool was so refreshing. The breakfast was good and whenever we wanted to have coffee or tea we got it in no time!!!
We definitely will come back!
Great stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank NRWandGlobe

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Good sized villa,although a little tired.
We had the front villa which was noisy at night, being right next to the road and staff parking area.
The staff were wonderful, lovely grounds and pool area.
Close walk to monkey forest and some nice Restuarant along the way.

Room Tip: Villas at the back of hotel would be my preference next time.
1  Thank Kerry B
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Pros:
-- Great Service! This makes or breaks a stay at any place, but no worries. They have the best!
-- Breakfast on the veranda. They have choices and they all taste good. They're good about letting you customize as well.
-- Turn down service. A must after a long hot day
-- Serene fish pool. Greedy little beggars knew when we were eating breakfast.
--Relaxing pool. I recommend a night swim--you can see the stars!
--Lower room vs. upper room. It's worth the upgrade.
--Outdoor Kitchen. We didn't get to use ours, but I liked the idea of it.
--Environment. Everything about this place makes one feel relaxed. It's very serene, especially in the morning in the garden for breakfast.

Cons:
--The lights went out once or twice, but they were prepared and it was actually kind of fun. The lights were always back on within minutes.
--The outdoors shower isn't really outdoor as it's quite covered, but it's still nice and I'm glad no one could see in.
-- Mosquitos! There's no controlling them, but they do put out the electronic and incense repellent. Just don't stay on your veranda too late at night.
--Technology. Some of the channels were out on our TV, but we were only watching it b/c it was raining heavily outside. The rain was probably the problem. Also, the wifi only really works in the office area.

Room Tip: Go with the downstairs!
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed here with my friend N. at the beginning of March for a total of 2 weeks. We were very impressed by all aspects of this hotel. In particular, the staff were delightful and could not do enough for us. The room was spacious, clean with a tremendous view over the lush garden packed with tropical trees and flowers. The bed linen and towels were changed daily. The fact that the hotel has only 9 rooms was an advantage - there was no competition for space around the lovely swimming pool and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. I would recommend the continental breakfast - including fruit pancakes - as the American breakfast was disappointing. Our room balcony had a table and two chairs where we had breakfast. It would have been useful to have had a couple of loungers there too for relaxing on the balcony - although there were couches in the room itself. All in all, the Villa Sonia can be recommended wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have the best views, The lower rooms have more facilities, e.g. kitchen, sunken bath...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A gem. Only 9 villas and each one superb so if you can book one do so. Nice restarants close by and a short stroll to the Monkey forest. The staff are great and will do anything to help. Coffe available 24/7 so it's got me again for our next visit.

Room Tip: Any villa is great.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

N+H stayed here for a week at the beginning of Mafch 2014. We were impressed! The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel has only 9 rooms and is set in a beautiful garden. The pool is clean and inviting. The rooms themselves are clean and spacious. Our only slight complaint was with the American breakfast. It was seldom warm and not very appetising. No problem! We switched to the continental breakfast and that was much better. This hotel is highly recommendable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed at the Villa Sonia for 3 nights. It is a beautiful place to stay.
This is a very small hotel, and if you can get a room there, grab it.

The staff was excellent, the room was a private building which I had to myself.
The bed was nice and soft and the place was extremely clean.

There were no mosquito problems. It is a short walk into city, and you can walk through the monkey forest, or not, there is a path if you want to return after the monkey forest is closed.

I really liked how quiet it was at night, since the road it is on dead ends at the monkey forest, there is no traffic noise except minor local bikes. There are also a couple of shops near the hotel.

At first I thought that the location was really remote from the city.
Because of the path the Taxi Driver took. But in reality, you are walking distance to the city.
I never used a cab while I was there. There is also a motor bike rental very near the hotel.

But the staff offered several times to give me a ride on a motor bike if I wanted it. They also run a shuttle into the town, but I preferred to walk.

Ubud is a wonderful place to stay. It is the center of a lot of entertainment.
Just up the road from the Villa was a restaurant that had Balinese dancing every night I was there. There was not an additional charge to watch the dancing and dinner was always less than $10.00 per person. One night they even took members of the audience up and had them dance with with the guidance of the girls. It was a lot of fun.

Breakfast was included, and you order the evening before. They deliver it to your room at a time you tell them. Everything was really nice at this place.

Like all hotels there are always minor issues.
The only issues I had, was 1 light bulb was out.
I couldn't find one of the light switches for the bathroom lights until they told me where it was.
The hot and cold water valves were backwards on the shower.
The toilet had a little drip.
When informed of the problems the staff dealt with everything.

But if you have stayed an many hotels, you know that these are common occurrences and nothing to be concerned with.

Laundry service was available, and that was a 1 day turnaround. I was traveling for 4 weeks, and I only had a 1 week supply of clothing, So this was great.

There was a very nice pool, but I did not go into the water.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo