I have travelled widely for business and pleasure and, though it is very right this headline saddens me. Im not normlly this negative about something so nice.
We stayed at the Mansions as part of a Deal. Our room may have reflcted this. It was a large open-plan with no walls between shower toilet and sleeping area. Might suit honeymooners but i doubt it. Might suit locals but I'm not Balinese. On reflection, I dont know why i didnt ask for a move, We coped. And it was convenient to pool, office and spa.
The package included breakfasts (adequate though, sadly, the fresh fruit often ran out), daily spa treatments (they were excellent) and one dinner. That it was only one was a blessing since it encouraged us to visit some of the island's justifiably famous eating houses.
Thanks to their non-existent systems, they tried to charge us for the free dinner. and, thanks to that, I eventually got to meet the mamager, a charming though low profile, young Frenchman, Elie Gaborit, who sorted it all.
As I told him, this could be a great place (and others have said so in this forum) but I wouldn't stay there again without being sure some things had changed and only after making a few very specific demands.
By the way, the duck they tried to charge me for was temptingly described in the menu but should have been called burnt-black, small, inedible duck-shaped thing with vegetrables. Not recommended!
The art was interesting though it appears that every space has to be crammed with everything they own - whether good or bad. Some is locked up but aparently can be viewed on request though you are not told this. The large dedicated display hall happened to be open for cleaning so we walked in, There is very little commentary about the works and what there is is typed so small that it's difficult to read. Needs a good curator.
The free shuttle bus is a good idea but on two occasions we were left waiting for an hour and once shared a taxi with other waiting guests. Ma'af', ma'afs (sorry) all round of course.
Lastly, aside from some communication problems (my Bahasa is as limited as is the english of some front-line people), the staff were unfailingly courteous, charming, polite, helpful and empathetic. And the gardens are beautifully maintained.
I will no doubt turn the experience into entertaining dinner conversation for friends and we are not scarred for life but I had to warn you. If you stay there make sure that everyone is aware of your expectations and don't hesitate to complain till someone does something to placate you. Start at the top. That works.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mansion Hotel & Spa is one of Bali's rare gems. Set in a tropical lush green park estate, it offers outstanding hospitality and the extensive facilities of a luxury resort. The Mansion is a registered five stars luxury hotel. The Mansion is situated in the artist community of Penestanan on the Sayan Ridge just a few minutes drive from the centre of Ubud, the island's cultural centre. The Mansion Resort has been nominated by the prestigious Conde Nast Traveler as the World's 100 Best New Hotel, 2004 Hot List, is selected by Luxury Group since 2006, and is choosen by National Geographic Traveler Indonesia as one of 20 favourite hotels, may 2010. Hotels were chosen throughout Indonesia based on the following criteria: service; unique hotel personality; environment and social awareness; online booking facilities; architecture and views; safety and security; value for money. Heaven & Earth Spa at The Mansion Resort has been awarded by the prestigious "World Luxury Spa Awards" as "Best Luxury Hotel Spa - Country Winner 2011" and "Best Luxury Medical Spa - Country Winner 2012" , and was recently selected by Conde Nast Johansens 2013 in its epicurean collection of Luxury Spa. Experience the ultimate in massage and healing rituals at Heaven & Earth, The Mansion's celebrated spa facility. Treatments are drawn from the most traditional therapies to the most comprehensive selection of modern medical spa therapies to rekindle your Body, Health, Beauty, Mind & Senses. Guests at The Mansion can enjoy a unique culinary experience reminiscent of classic dining ambiance. In an ornate setting, perfect for celebrating a special occasion or important announcement, dining at The Mansion offers the ultimate in ambience, service and attention to detail. At Indochine, savour the unique combination of Asian & Continental nouvelle cuisine, an ideal location for a select dinner or gathering. Cafe La Terrace offers a casual menu in an airy conservatory, decorated with an impressive array of art selected from The Mansion's private collection.Sia Pacific region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mansion Hotel Ubud
- The Mansion Resort Hotel And Spa
- Mansion Hotel Ubud
- The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa Ubud, Bali