Tripadvisor
Ubud

“Get drunk before you eat here”

Restaurant Locavore
Ranked #110 of 1,179 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our non smoking restaurant serves modern, contemporary European cuisine using local, seasonal ingredients. Our chefs share a passion for crafting contemporary European cuisine from quality local ingredients. This concept is already popular in the west and, although it is still new to Indonesia where most chefs rely on expensive imported ingredients, we are proud to be amongst the first to introduce high-end and locally sourced cuisine to Indonesian kitchens. A great deal has been achieved in Locavore' first year which we hope to build on in order to continue satisfying our guests and to continue the strides made in spreading this concept throughout the country. We started working together in Jakarta over five years ago and gradually came to see that it just didn't make sense to cook with imported ingredients when we were surrounded by Indonesia's bounty. We think of ourselves as the catalysts between local producers and discriminating diners. Our ingredient-driven menu celebrates the farmers, fisherman and artisans we've met along our journey. By developing lasting relationships with local producers, we ensure you the freshest of chemical-free seasonal produce and ethically fed meat animals. And by supporting local farmers and artisans, Locavore is an authentic member of its community. A reservation is strongly recommended, typically you should be able to secure a table 2-3 weeks ahead. Reservations can be made via our website and our Facebook Page. Upon making a reservation via one of our two convenient online booking options you will receive a confirmation email to your inbox which will include a booking reference. 24 hours prior to your booking date you will receive an additional email asking you to reconfirm your booking along with instructions on how to do that. We realise many of our guests are busy enjoying their wonderful holidays in Bali or simply don't have all day e-mail access but we do kindly request your attention on the booking emails. We are very thankful for the interest everyone has shown in Locavore but without a confirmed booking we will regrettably have to release the table to other guests. Locavore is a small and cozy restaurant operated by a team of highly dedicated food enthusiasts whose primary goal is to ensure our guests savor their experience at Locavore while dining on artistically prepared, fresh and highly enjoyable dishes. Part of that process is to source 95% of our products locally and not to keep large stocks but rather to source as much of our products fresh on a daily basis. This, together with the fact that all of our dishes are prepared a la minute with only fresh produce, certainly leads to more strain on our team but absolutely allows us to achieve our stated goal of providing our guests with locally produced, fresh and delicious dishes. We are and aim to continue being a fine dining establishment that focuses equal parts on the cuisine and on the experience. To ensure that experience consists of the highest quality, Locavore focuses on a series of set tasting menus; 5-courses or 7 courses in either Locavore or Herbivore style. We are more than happy to modify our set tasting menus for those with dietary preferences, as long as those preferences are mentioned to us during your booking process, since we cater to our guests needs and especially since our chefs certainly love to be challenged to meet new heights. Some may call those preferences a 'dietary restriction' but we simply view your preferences as part of our obligation to ensure you enjoy the experience at our restaurant. Although a meal at Locavore may last several hours, the reason for that is not lack of care or attention but rather the exact opposite ... every dish is prepared with meticulous attention so as to ensure that every one of our guests will walk away from Locavore remembering the cuisine they experienced with us. Come to Locavore not for a rushed meal based on an endless menu but for a meticulously planned culinary journey prepared by our team that will leave you satisfied, fulfilled and eager for your next visit. While we understand that this philosophy may not be applicable for everyone, as food enthusiasts we welcome everyone and anyone to join us at Locavore to take part in this culinary approach which we believe in, standby and advocate for within the sphere of fine dining. As a final note, generally we can advise guests that our menus can take the following service time: - 5 course : 1.5 to 2 hours - 7 course : 2 to 2.5 hours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Before I begin, I will say that I am a man, I have nasal polyps that affect my taste, I entered this meal sober and unfortunately for me, my head was not stuck entirely up my rectum.
I don’t want to eat three dishes of flowers, I don’t want to eat raw goat or beef hearts, I don’t want raw lobster or raw anything. I ordered a rum on the rocks to try and get me through the meal, I don’t even drink spirits, hence the bad choice of rum on the rocks. I told them to take it away and get me a whisky on the rocks, anything to blind my body from what I was paying $400 to eat. For christs sake!!! Save yourself the hassle and fly to Australia where I will only charge you $100 and punch you in the face.

3  Thank RedDawg123
Write a reviewReviews (2,834)

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

If you would like an unusual local inspired menu, please do visit Locavore. We had total of 19 dishes including snacks, main course dishes and desserts! It was quite an experience!

1  Thank Josephine Y
Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

I would not recommend this place. We had some confusion with service and timing of the meal and the chef and multiple waitresses that addressed us were very rude. Take note, dinnee is scheduled to last for 3-3.5 hours so be prepared for a long meal.

Reviewed January 8, 2020

It is unacceptable to charge 1.6 million per person for a so called degustation menu of such a low quality. Ubud is indeed the gastronomical Mecca of the Island, but with restaurants such as Hujan Locale, Locavore has nothing to do. On top of that they have the most uncomfortable chairs i have ever seen for a 3 hour meal. The same company has the night Rooster which has way better choices in food with amazing tastes. I live on the island and cannot recommend this restaurant by any means.

2  Thank carolinabT9725IZ
Reviewed January 7, 2020

So, like the reviewer below, we were in the restaurant the other night when the power went out- but our perceptions are very different. The power went out on the street, not just in the restaurant, and we were impressed with how the staff handled it. There was a server at our table in moments, and candles were on the table almost immediately. The kitchen kept going with no discernable disruption in the preparation. The lights were back on before our meal was finished.

We enjoyed our dinner. Some dishes were more successful in our opinion than others, but that is often the way with very adventurous cooking. We were amazed at how many amuse bouche dishes there were, and some of them were amongst our favorites of the evening. Some of us went locavore, some herbivore, and there was a lot of sharing. On average I think the herbivore side 'won' (ie, more of us were more excited by / happier with our dishes), but the duck was the standout course of the night.

That said, I would not recommend the drinks pairing. Two of us got the pairing, and it was not only too much alcohol but (worse) we didn't 'get' the pairing: the drinks never really added, and in some instances competed with the dish.

Also, next time I will go for the 6 not the 9, b/c w/ all the amuse bouche courses we were over-full when we left.