“Don't miss it if you are looking for organic food.”

The Elephant Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #51 of 838 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open all day every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the elephant serves earth friendly food and drinks that are delicious and healthy and created with an eye towards sustainability. As an accredited member of the slow food movement we use organic, local and ethical produce to create vegetarian and vegan food of the highest quality. As well as the food, come and enjoy the tranquil environment of our open air restaurant overlooking picturesque campuhan ridge and the ricefields and rivers below. We make great cocktails and antipasti to enjoy at the end of a long day sightseeing or healthy breakfasts and lunches to fuel you up. At night our candle lit colonial decor and dj-curated playlists give the bar and restaurant a romantic vibe. Western standards or cooking, service, hygiene and style, but in a relaxed and friendly environment with charming Balinese staff
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Not an eyes catching restaurant where you can see it from main road but there is a signboard (that's how i spotted it while riding my bike return from "Nuri's direction). With the large greenery as the background, having a meal here can't be more relax even though the food is not the best food you can get in Ubud. Don't miss it if you are after organic food. I gave an average for food, just because i am the fans of 'sinful' food with very strong taste, i believe it is consider good for organic food lover.

They made a good effort in environment friendly, it is a open concept place without fans and air cons here but i didn't feel the heat under big hot sun, instead i can feel the breeze. Minimum plastic and paper here, they even replace the straw with tiny bamboo (i have no problem finish my drink :))

Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was a very pleasant surprise. I had heard about this cafe a while ago and finally made it there today. It was hard to choose from the menu. I settled on a polenta and grilled vegetable dish with pesto from the specials menu with the addition of a poached egg (post workout). My partner had the Laksa. Both meals were exceptional in flavour and presentation. The Australian owner is not new to the game having successful owned several other vegetarian restaurants in Seminyak, Canguu and Australia. He is an avid vegetarian and committed to serving excellent food with minimal impact on the environment.

I felt like I was in a cafe in Melbourne (I miss a great breakfast whilst living here) except the spectacular view was across the Campuhan valley. Another added bonus it is a non smoking cafe (hard to find here as well). I observed Johnno (the owner) discussing the new menu with is father and brother. It was lovely to see 3 men all sitting around the table deciding on the final list. He also made a point of welcoming all the guests and making sure all was in order. I will definitely be back and can highly recommend this cafe. Even if you do eat meat you will leave satiated and satisfied.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

by the fact this is a veg restaurant, if you're an omnivore...fresh, well-prepared food in an intimate setting. The gnocchi are good (pan fried, it seems to be the future of the gnocchi, at least in Ubud; same treatment at Locavore). I'm not a vegetarian but will not hesitate to return or bring guests. This is creative, well priced food, and the desserts are good too! There is parking, something of a rarity here. Worth making a trip here, it's just a bit out of the center of Ubud where most tourists tend to stay.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Fantastic vegetarian food can be hard to find - The Elephant is that, but more that - it's just fantastic food. Combined with eclectic decor, a stunning view over the Campuan gorge, a groovy soundtrack and great staff, and you have a world-class casual dining experience in Ubud.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have been meaning to go here for almost two months and finally did so today - why did we wait so long!! I am constantly bemoaning that there is nowhere to go in Ubud to get a really lovely salad and little did I know if was simply just around the corner from us at Payogan. You cannot miss it as it is just up the road from Bintang supermarket on the right hand side travelling norh. Drive down the driveway and there is parking available.

This is not some brand new sterile place, it has been put together with love and thought and the ambience is lovely - not to mention the beautiful view and cooling breeze. We had the Laksa and the Vietnamese salad and they were both absolutely gorgeous with such lovely subtle flavours that we will be hard pressed to limit our visits to one or twice a week. Glad to see that they have takeaway though as that will also come in handy.

This is a must to try whether you are visiting Ubud or live here and we will return.