“The Elephant is doing everything right”

The Elephant Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #74 of 848 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open all day every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the elephant serves earth friendly food and drinks that are delicious and healthy and created with an eye towards sustainability. As an accredited member of the slow food movement we use organic, local and ethical produce to create vegetarian and vegan food of the highest quality. As well as the food, come and enjoy the tranquil environment of our open air restaurant overlooking picturesque campuhan ridge and the ricefields and rivers below. We make great cocktails and antipasti to enjoy at the end of a long day sightseeing or healthy breakfasts and lunches to fuel you up. At night our candle lit colonial decor and dj-curated playlists give the bar and restaurant a romantic vibe. Western standards or cooking, service, hygiene and style, but in a relaxed and friendly environment with charming Balinese staff
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Upcycling an old venue instead of building a new one, featuring vegetarian fare, focusing on local produce, responsibly managing restaurant waste and mentoring staff... and then there's the food! Imaginative, delicious, beautifully prepared and presented and professionally served in a quiet open-air environment with a spectacular view. The Elephant is a winner in every category. Well done, Jonothan!

2  Thank Cat W

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Had a delicious lunch at Elephant. Four different items, all tasty and well prepared. The owner took time to explain to us his concept and where he gets his ingredients, worth a try.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I recently discovered The elephant after recommendations from the Ubud Writers Fest. What a lovely find! The owner, Jonathon, was on hand to make helpful suggestions to my daughter and I and made us feel very welcome. We aren't vegetarians and found the menu a feast for the palate.The White Tiger salad was a great choice on a hot afternoon and sharing smashed potatoes, yummy! The fried polenta was a success and the pot of Chai tea, just right! I've been back since and again, a restful and welcoming spot with excellent food. The staff are learning the ropes and eager to please. There's a lot on offer here in Ubud, and The Elephant adds a special touch, with location, delicious cuisine, very affordable and well worth a visit.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was hard to leave this place. And what a great way to start the day with a delicious healthy breakfast whilst gazing over the hills of Ubud. I particularly loved the fresh juices and I ordered the eggs florentine. Perfectly poached eggs, fresh herbs and some sauteed mushies on the side. Delicious. My friends work there way through a decent chunk of the large selection of veggie options and it was smile all around. I had a taste of most and (not being a vegetarian) was super impressed by the variety and flavours. I'm not sure who is doing there coffee, or where it is from, but being from Melbourne, and going to cafe's in Ubud you don't expect much - but it was a stand-out for me. Love what you doing Elephant Crew. Keep it up and I'll see you again soon.

Jonathan R, Public Relations Manager at The Elephant Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

thanks surfbali8: we are glad you enjoyed your visit and that you appreciated the emphasis we place on fresh, quality ingredients. as part of our commitment to providing earth friendly food the bulk of our ingredients are sourced from local farms who we know to be chemical free/organic.

regarding our blend of coffee: again, it is sourced in indonesia to reduce food miles (and because some of the world's best coffee has been grown here since the days of the dutch east india company!). it is from our friend's company/cafe called "revolver" - we use the 40% java: 40% sulawesi: 20% aceh shotgun blend.

see you next time

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

A great find. Elephant has only been open a few months. The ambience is gorgeous - stunning views over the ridge. The food is vegan and vegetarian and very creative. I had the grilled polenta, which was tasty and full of flavour and being a seeker of gluten free options I was impressed with their varied options.
Go here for the views, the owners great hospitality (Australian) and a wonderful menu choice - healthy and revitalising food.