Agung Raka Hotel looks small and modest from its front gate. However, the superior bungalows where we stayed in was spacious and had peaceful green rice fields for view.
We booked for the USD 75 net 'lumbung' (small bungalow) bungalow style. However, we got instantly upgraded to the superior bungalow, due to the low season. The individual stile-legged-bungalow consists of 2 stories. The lower floor was for an open air balcony (about 3m x 4m), with low-rise table & cushions to lounge around, overlooking the rice fields, which at our time of coming was about 50cm high & lucious green. Perfect for a backdrop of book reading or chatting in the balcony. The other part of the lower floor is the entrance to the inside of the hut and a ceilingless-bathroom (with big red-marble bathtub, big enough for 2!) and shower area. The toilet was clean.
A wooden staircase led us to the upper floor, which had 1 queen sized bed & 1 single bed (which we used to watch (local) TV/ no internationale programme). Both beds were equipped with mosquito nets & proved useful, as these bungalows are right in the middle of rice fields & fruit trees, hence bugs can enter the bungalow at any time.
There is a smaller balcony on the upper floor with 2 lazy bamboo sunbeds, overlooking the ricefields too.
In brief, this bungalow provided us with the atmosphere we wanted for our holiday, break from the fast paced city life. Quiet, swimming pool was also charming, the hotel can also arrange for masseurs/private massages to be done in our balcony.
However, this hotel may not meet your expectation is u're looking for a 5 star comfortability standard. bugs may fly around/ants may be near you esp on the lower floor, the bed is made from local materials (comfortable enough, but if you are pricky and can only sleep on springbed/harder mattress, then it may be a problem). It was a bit too soft for me esp on the first day. There is an aircon, but the temp will not be as cold as a modern hotel, simply because the wall is made of traditional thin wood that let the air transpires out/in the wall easily and there is no ceiling btw the room and the roof. However, there is a fan & usually weather in Ubud is not that hot anyway.
Nevertheless, despite all these, as long as u're looking for a 'back-to-nature' stay, this is the place to be.
The hotel chain also owns the 'Bebek Bengil" resto which serves excellend duck & pork ribs dishes & gives you 10% discount when eating there. free shuttle buses are available to go downtown Ubud/or that resto. Free wifi is also available but only in the hotel lobby area or the pool area.
The receptionists were courteus enough, but not the most hospitable i've met in Bali.
Breakfast is simple, u get to choose btwn Local Fried Rice/ Continental/ English Breakfast & it's delivered to your balcony upon your wanted time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- elcome to Bali Agung Raka Resort and Villa, the new modern minimalist Resort are built to complement the landscape that surrounds it, providing a sensational feeling of being in a beautiful village, with a stunning sunset view from the rice terrace. Located at Jl. Raya Pengosekan, Ubud - Bali, it just 10 minutes walking distance to Monkey Forest in Ubud. Bali Agung Raka Resort and Villa consist of 20 villas (one and two bedrooms villa) and 25 guest rooms inclusive of Superior and Deluxe Rooms located on 1st and 2nd floor. All guest rooms are set within building, 2-storey high with staircase access. Ideal for family holiday, honeymoon couple, groups of friends and more. Most of our villas are designed to mimic the general shape of a Balinese rice-barn, which has its lower space utilized as living space, and a bedroom on the second floor. Our villas are mostly constructed of wooden structure, bamboo, and thatched roof, which provide a stable cool temperature throughout the day, while an air conditioning system is in place in each room to further adjust it according to our guests' preference. As added convenience feature, some of our villas are equipped with kitchenettes, and every room is equipped with telephone, mini bar, and a television set. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Agung Raka Resort & Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agung Raka Bungalows Hotel Ubud
- Agung Raka Hotel
- Agung Raka Resort & Villas Ubud, Bali