“Lovely Balinese experience”

Agung Raka Resort & Villas
Ranked #132 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I arrived in Ubud alone after a week-long yoga retreat in Seminya, and booked a standard bungalow at Agung Raka. It was truly a lovely experience - my bungalow was two-levels all to myself, with an air-conditioned upstairs bedroom, and downstairs a seating area with pillows and a table to either have a meal or lounge about with a good book. I also had a separate bathroom that was indoor/outdoor - the sink, toilet, and full bathtub were under a roof, and there was a separate exposed slate shower area. It was really nice and provided a lovely experience. The bedroom had a queen size bed with a mosquito-covered canopy, and the view from my window was of the hotel's rice paddies. There was a nice pool area with plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas, and spa services were offered under the veranda by the pool. The staff were especially nice and helpful in providing tips of temples I was interested in seeing and when I was ill (I had gotten bitten by a mosquito on my eyelid and it swelled closed - the staff were very concerned and brought me ice and frequently asked how I was doing). Location is great too, within walking distance to the Monkey Forrest (about 10 min), and a 5 minute walk to the famed Yoga Barn for a drop-in class. Lots of restaurants and shops near by as well. Best part was I booked through the indonesian version of hotels.com called agoda.com, and saved a considerable amount on my bungalow rate (paid only $66/night). There are other bungalows people I met stayed in down the road for $20-$30/night, but they didn't have air conditioning (a must in the heat) nor did they offer half of the lovely accommodations. Well worth the extra few dollars. Terami kasih, Agung Raka!

Room Tip: Check to see if the house being built next door is done if you plan on staying in during the day and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MissTishDML

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This really is a wonderful place to stay and highly recommended. The manager Dewa went out of his way to ensure we had a great time. Great location, only a few minutes from town. The rooms are wonderful and the view of the rice fields are to die for. Cant rate it enough, we look forward to going back again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank taipan11111
Reviewed October 25, 2012

we stayed there for 3 nights and it was really nice! absolutely amazing views over the rice fields from our cottage. very spacious 2 floors bungalows, huge outside living space/terrace, spacious bathroom, very bali like there! awesome pool and they bring your breakfast in the morning to the bungalow. order a massage at your room, we had one on the terrace and it was so relaxing! just amazing there!!

Room Tip: ask for rooms overlooking the rice fields
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I'm sorry to say but this hotel is a rort guys
I actually came in to check it out before booking it for the standard villa and the girl at front desk showed me a beautiful double story villa with the bedroom upstairs with mosquitto net and a beautiful lounge downstairs. So I said I'll think about it and decided to book it the following night for 2 nights. As I checked in the following day they told me they will upgrade me to the kingdom suite after one night and they took me to another room which I did not book for. This room was disgusting, it looked like something from a motel, it wasn't a villa, there was no mozzie nets and the bathroom was horrific, the kettle was broken and the bed smelt like rubbish. This is room 105. So I went to complain and said this is not the room I looked at and paid for and I want at least a mozzie net or something but the manager ketut said sorry we are booked out, but hey we are moving you to the kingdom suite tomorrow. So I sucked it in and slept for the night hoping tomorrow would be better. However I had no sleep and was bitten 100 times all over my body even though I sprayed the room with areoguard. Anyway I got up at 6amtabs bolted out and told the reception to move my luggage to the kingdom suite- hoping it would have been much better. I arrived back in at 4pm and to surprise it was not any better. I called the manager and said I want someone to come collect my luggage and help me check out. I waited 20 mins and noone came so I decided to wheel out my 2 suitcases out. As I was leaving I saw the staff sittig there smoking and no sign of the manger. He was probably hiding, noone apologized and even asked of everything was ok. This is definitely a rort. Also with their false advertising about dropping off to Ubud and pick up, that is a lie. The driver dropped me off to the monkey forest and I said can i have your number so I can call for you to pick me up and he said its best to get a taxi home , you can find one anywhere, he is finishing his shift soon and won't be able to pick me up
I suggest noone go book this hotel because it is totally unacceptable

• Stayed: August 2012
18  Thank Lovejetsetter
dewaUbud, Manager at Agung Raka Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to share your supportive comments concerning your recent stay with us.

In respect to your constructive feedback and inconvenience experience please accept our sincere apologies. We truly thank you for your comment and rest assured that I have followed it up personally with our team in order to eliminate recurrence for the future. Despite the fact that we had scheduled regular preventive maintenance to all our villa in order to keep it in a good condition for the convenience of our guest include fogging and pest control, but unportunately our resort set in the middle of rice paddies so that we can not eliminate all animal who live around us.
Regarding the suttle bus you were mentioned, for guest’s comfortable, it will be scheduled almost every hours until 8 PM, drop and pick up at central ubud, and guest allow to stop in between, but have to be picked up at the same point as mentioned in the shuttle schedule.

Our management committed to put our guest satisfaction is our first priority concern and to enhance our guest to have memorable Agung Raka experience during their stay.

Again thank you and I encourage you to contact me directly if you have plan another trip to Ubud or referring friend or clients. I will personally make all the arrangement.
We look forward to welcoming you back into our magnificent resort in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Agung raka has very nice bungalows. You have a lot of space, two floors, great seats at the 1st floor. The pool is nice, and has a nice view over some rice fields. Location is very good, you can walk to Ubud if you want, but can also ask the hotel to drop you somewhere.

Room Tip: The bungalows in the beginning of the complex have not such a nice view as those in the back, but th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Reynoldino
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We had booked Agung Raka based on the comments we had read on Tripadvisor. What we got when we arrived there was in big contrast with the reviews... We booked on internet for three nights in a standard villa. We got the standard villa closest to the main building (farthest away from the pool), the little villa on itself seemed ok, but men were working on some kind of high fence just behind the outside bathroom and could straitly see in our shower... Because we saw the superior villas with view on the nice rice fields, we asked for an upgrade to a superior villa. This was no problem if we paid extra. After installing ourselves on our balcony of the villa we saw just a few meters from us a girl making some shoes on the property next to the hotel (it was clear that a very poor family was living there), she had straight view on our balcony which made us feel a little uncomfortable.
When coming back in the villa, we noticed that the furniture and electrical devices were quite old and in bad condition... only one little light above a mirror worked (others did not work anymore), so we had to walk into the dark before turning the lights on. The sheets of the bed had several stains and did not smell clean. But the worse problem was that there were many insects in our room and we found big gecko's close to the bed. We asked another villa to the reception, this was no problem.
The same problems arose also here, it got even worse, under the sheets of the bed we found something that looked like feces of some kind of small animal. We did not wanted to stay here, so we checked out the day after, this was no problem. Staff remained friendly.
It is a pity that this happened because the view there is magnificent, but some renovations would not be a bad thing...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank w_aur
dewaUbud, Manager at Agung Raka Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

In respect to your constructive feedback and inconvenience experience please accept our sincere apologies. We truly thank you for your comment and rest assured that I have followed it up personally with our team in order to eliminate recurrence for the future. Despite the fact that we had scheduled regular preventive maintenance to all our villa in order to keep it in a good condition for the convenience of our guest include fogging and pest control, but unfortunately our resort set in the middle of rice paddies so that we can not eliminated all animal who live around us.
The neighboring shelter have been using for them to make their crafts for selling in Ubud market, but for sure we already covered the wall with bamboo for keeping villa privation.

We look forward to welcoming you back into our magnificent resort, and we will more than happy become your second home in Bali in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Manager

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Amazing villa's with beautiful views of the rice fields. Villa's are well layed out, with a ground floor with an open air bathroom and a terrace with cushions where you can relax, read and eat. The top floor had the beds and was beautifully decorated. There is a pool (only downside is that there is little shade) and a nice restaurant with friendly service. Location is away from the husstle of downtown Ubud, but right across from the lovely ARMA restaurant. Our stay in Ubud and at Agung Raka was the highlight of our stay in Bali!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Anne-Marijke
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Dear Our Valued Guest,

Entire team of Agung Raka Bungalows, would like to thank you so much for choosing Agung Raka as your place to stay during your holidays in Ubud the spirit of Bali.
And we will more than happy to become your second home in Ubud - Bali.
Still many thing nice to explore in Ubud, and we ready to make your holiday to be a memorable ones.
Thank you once again hope will see you again for next holidays.

Best regards,