“Beautiful location”

Pertiwi Resort & Spa
Ranked #134 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The hotel is situated on two sides of a small valley with a stream. The garden is beautiful and the pool area is fantastic. The rooms we had were fine (we stayed in the bigger two floor building to the left after the reception).

When we arrived at the hotel, they'd run out of water, meaning nothing worked in the bathrooms for the first few hours.

Breakfast was ok. Bread was a bit dry but the other selections nice.

Everything counted, a nice place to explore Ubud from.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank augustekman
There are newer reviews for Pertiwi Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is well located and that is why we went there. We had not booked ahead of time but as it was new year the good places were full. In the back of the front desk in a big frame they had some king of a trip advisor reward stating that the hotel was voted +++++ for the year 2012.
We usually trust trip advisor....... But this time what a disapointment. Please trip advisor do not let DUMPY hotels spoil your good name.
We took 3 rooms and were asked to pay in full at check in. We quickly found out why......the rooms were totally disgusting they smelled moldy had a/c's that did not cool. Old beds with a deep dip in them. As for the bathroom it was so old and dirty that I showered with my plip flops. The towels were ripped and dirty so we had to dry ourselves with our sarongs.
The toilet seat was damaged and rather dangerous if you sat on it.
Breakfast was cold toast and cold scrambled eggs !!!!
What a disgrace..... Ubud tourist board you should be ashamed of letting such a disgusting place operate.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank world-travel-experts
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've stayed here 5-6 years running and the facility becomes more run-down every year. I've been told the Balinese owner believes it's better not to renovate but to let things fall apart and then rebuild! Some very basic renovations have been done in some rooms. I was with a group and in several rooms the air conditioning either didn't work or was intermittent. The female desk clerk (Sri) was very sympathetic and helpful but the older male (Gusti) was rude and apathetic much of the time. In our "renovated" room the tile holding the electrical plug in the bathroom had broken away from the wall and bare wires were hanging out. I was afraid to use it for fear of shock or fire. In a friend's room water was dripping from the electrical panel and they were concerned. Moss was present in some of the bathrooms. The grounds are quite beautiful but the paved walkways are VERY STEEP. One of my friends slipped and fell so hard she needed medical treatment when she returned to the US. I myself fell on the stairs a few years ago and my thumbnail was pulled right off. I'd lost my footing in the dark (after I had complained the day before that their path and stair lighting was not working). Apathy from Gusti on that occasion and I was directed to a clinic up the street. The staff are LOVELY in general and the breakfasts are quite nice. The location is super and the owner relies on this to draw people in. For what you get it is OVER-PRICED. The pool villas are lovely and there is a new block of units at the back of the property. There are other hotels that are cheaper and MUCH nicer so look around. I'd recommend the Rama Phala - a new one also just near the Monkey Forest.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room before accepting it. Insist on the amenities you need such as working air cond...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank B J A
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before when it was being renovated in 2010 and I had no complains. I stayed again at this hotel for a small office meeting and I loved it even more. Our meeting venue was at a restaurant at the back of the hotel, facing another street. It was a nice homey atmosphere. We also had to walk, going downhill and uphill, which of course we did not mind at all, crossing a bridge over a small river, passing the swimming pool and lovely garden.
The rooms were nice and comfortable. I got one on the second floor with a balcony facing the garden. If I had the chance to have another small meeting, I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Danny-Yatim
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. We stayed in the pool villa room. Very quiet this time, last time a rooster would wake us at 6am every morning...someone obviously ate him......anyway as usual the staff were friendly and I was welcomed by Sri like a,long lost friend. Wayan again looked after our room and kept this very clean for us. I am glad the breakfast is no longer a buffet. The food is much fesher although does lack in variety from the menu....but you can order bits and pieces from each set breakfast. Breakfast is no longer by the pool in the middle of the complex...but up the back along Jalan Bisma or at the front. We chose the back as this is quieter.

I did not give the hotel 5 stars only because the villas are starting to get a little run down. Everything in our room worked, except for the safe...so we left our valuables in the safes at the front. This was no problem as we would walk out that way. Towards the end of our 10 night stay, we noticed that our private pool was starting to go a little green. May be due to all the late afternoon rain? But this could be attended to. The area in the villa was well maintained by the garden staff.

The staff are helpful and friendly, the hotel gardens are immaculate and the position of the hotel is wonderfully close to everything. We ordered room service once when we came back very late from traveling around. The food was average but the service was prompt. On a few occasions we asked for ice to be sent to the room and this occurred quickly. The laundry service here is excellent and they look after your clothes well. Really anything I asked for the staff went out of their way to assist.

This is not the place to stay if you have problems walking...and when wet the slopes can be very slippery. You burn off a few kilos getting up and down the hills but after a couple of days you don't notice it so much.

Overall we enjoyed our experience and would stay here again.

We stayed during the quiet season....January...which is much better. I can't stand having too many people around...the locals would think different.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kalie L
Reviewed January 6, 2013

When we arrived, we weer geven one of the non renovated rooms: smelly, dirty rooms, bedsheets, curtains and most of all a horrible bathroom. When I litteraly told reception we could not stay there, they simply agreed (so they knew how bad it was!) and moved us to a new room in the renovated part. Better bathroom, but still damp and unclean room, bloodstained bedsheets. The complex is also quitte fulltime nog, with buildings everywhere. Ubud has many better hotels to offer!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DJ S
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great location in town, 5min from shops, 10-15 min from market/palace/monkey forrest. For a single person a place that is easy to pop in and out of.

However the plot of the hotel is very looong so if you are in the delux rooms (which being renovated and more of a western style in a large block but with views) then quite a walk. Older rooms which more authentic are closer to reception but not private and bathrooms def need updating.

Breakfast buffet easy/ good selection of things which quite good. Reception varied hugly, not that friendly, depending who you get depends on friendlynes and they will charge for everything, even a local call. for a tour which not the case in other places i stayed.

If want convenience at ok price this is good but not a special experience.

Room Tip: Delux bettr quality, more private but in a big building. Older rooms nr reception, more authentic bu...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo