“a real acquisition for Ubud”
Review of CarameL Ubud

CarameL Ubud
Ranked #1 of 8 Bakeries in Ubud
Cuisines: French, Indonesian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Patisserie haven for all desserts & macaron lovers. Caramel is focusing on the use of Indonesia best quality ingredients, such as the chocolate, tea & coffee. Our chocolate is from Java & being processed by a Belgium chocolatier, so the quality is International standard. Our macaron is a must try & our chocolate is to die for ... ;)
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Caramel is an absolute plus-value on the culinary scene of Ubud. Situated in the Jalan Hanoman, in a small shop it offers delicious macarons and limited selection of patisseries. As a chocolate lover I taste already different cakes. They were all very tasteful and with a good balance in the flavours. The prices are affordable. The service is very good and the owners take their time to answer all your questions. They are still young starters but if they continue on the same way they will be by the best of Ubud.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Located right in the heart of Ubud, Caramel is quite small but feels cozy. All cakes are absolutely delicious especially the macaron. The macaron is a perfection! The price is also very affordable so don't hesitate to stop by. Caramel opens everyday except Monday.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

There is a new pâtisserie in town on Jl. Hanoman - the one-way bit near Jl. Raya Ubud. Caramel is only three days old when I visited and is the baby of a hip, young, Chinese-Indonesian couple. The pastry chef, a lovely young woman, spent time in Lyon but pursued her culinary education in Sydney. I walked past it by chance and was extremely excited to find a promising dessert joint in Ubud. The owners explained that most of the ingredients are locally sourced. I'm keen to support our Indonesian entrepreneurs.

Desserts: Salted Caramel Macarons, Red Velvet Cake and Tea Opera. We also ordered a French-pressed coffee and a Vietnamese drip coffee.

Verdict: The presentation is stunning. We absolutely love the Salted Caramel Macarons! At Rp. 10,000 each, it's a bargain and arguably the best in town. The Red Velvet Cake however, is a major disappointment. Dry and dense - two words you don't want to hear when eating cakes. The Tea Opera has interesting flavours - there is certainly tea in there but I think they need to work on their sponge cake first. My Vietnamese drip was nice and strong. The upstairs seating is teeny tiny but cosy. The interior decor needs a little help. Not exactly a glowing review but I'm willing to come back to try out a couple more cakes before writing it off. Having spent some time in France myself, I wouldn't say it's the best pâtisserie in Ubud - White Box is.

CaRaMeL_UbuD, Manager at CarameL Ubud, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Caramel Guest,

Thank you for sharing your point of view about Caramel and I am sorry that unlike most of our guests you haven’t fully enjoyed your experience in our patisserie.

Caramel is well known for the Red Velvet Cake as it's different from others. Please do know there is cocoa on red velvet sponge so the texture will be more dense and also moist as it has cream cheese on every layers. The combination makes Caramel's Red Velvet one of the best seller & favourite cake in town.

The Opera cake's sponge, it's called the Joconde. The texture is different from sponge cake, as it more into biscuit texture.

I am personally sorry we were not able to gave more explanation when you tried our cakes and we will continue working hard in our efforts to be better in every way.

Best regards,
Hermawan

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I am not a big fans of sweet food. But, i recommend this place for you who loves cakes and sweet bites. They have many kind of yummy cakes and macaroons! We were having a blissful afternoon at second floor of Caramel Ubud with my friends. Only 5 minutes walking from Ubud market .

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

the cute shop in the main road.. they have awesome, sweet and delicious cakes.. we ordered chocolate and cheese cake.. the chocolate was amazing delicious!! highly recommended if you are into in sweet stuff!!