“Lovely spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Indigo Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Indigo Villas
Ranked #395 of 526 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
“Lovely spot”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our third trip to Ubud & we normally stay outside Ubud. A lot of reviewers complained about the location so if you want to be central, then stay somewhere else but if you prefer a bit of serenity then this place is nice. It's just next to some paddy fields & is 10 mins drive from central Ubud
It's tastefully done & the larger rooms like Rama & Sitas room was outstandingly beautiful. Some of the smaller rooms like the double deluxe less so.
It's a small villa but not a private villa or hotel or resort. It's a small villa with several rooms & a shared kitchen, dining area & living area, & at times inexperienced staff, albeit very helpful. When it's quiet it feels like yours, when its busy its like a regular hotel lobby, but people come & go, so it never stays crowded for long
If you're looking for luxury, or centrality or privacy then this isn't the place for you. But if you like some serenity, being away from the touristy crowd of Ubud, value for money & local boutique villa, then this would give you that.
The place is staffed by 3 young people from morning till 10pm. There are no staff overnight. So if you want 'security' & things from a 5 star resort like safety boxes etc, you may be disappointed.
Staff were very gracious, loved young kids & very helpful
Yes, there was no rubbish bins in rooms, no hand towels, no bath towels, no proper toiletries, no constant hot showers ...but it's Bali after all... & one has to expect these things, but all you have to do is ask, & they will graciously provide
A simple breakfast is provided promptly every morning & the drivers were excellent, driving us to/from Ubud for shopping/sightseeing/dinners.
It's a lovely spot. The owner gave our family a free meal, cooked by staff & free massages at Ubud Wellness Spa, very good massuers!
We enjoyed our stay at Indigo Villas!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with friends and stayed there for a couple of nites two weeks ago. We were quite disappointed with the room and its facilities. The trash bin in the bathroom was not emptied as we arrived, so we had to notify the 'room boy' and asked him to clean it up. No adequate lighting in the toilet. It gives gloomy atmosphere. It's hard to dress up as the only mirror available is in the toilet (with low light). On/off hot water in bathroom.The massive bathtub could spell danger with high tub walls to step over and slippery. No bathroom amenities. We got the leftover shampoo and shower gel in the bathroom, Probably it's the half-used toiletries left in the shower by the previous guests. or perhaps that's what the management of Indigo Tree call 'bathroom amenities' ;-). Half emptied bottle of shampoo and shower gel! Is this the way to respect your guests? In a four star hotel???
The view from the window room give a sense that the hotel is not well maintained. Just outside of our room ( suite double or twin room), bushes and hi grasses. This is not an appropriate view for a suite room. TV not work. The room is nicely decorated though. Suggestion: sheer curtain should be installed in addition to the existing curtain (thick one) or else guests will have a very little privacy in the room with big windows around.
About the pool.... It's not as enticing as we have seen on the ads. They must seriously consider the unsanitary condition of the swimming pool.I'm afraid they forgot the last time they had the swimming pool cleaned. It's murky!
The owner/managers? I don't know if the hotel has any. No greeting from them as we arrived, though we saw a couple and two kids, seems to be the owner, hang around the entrance area.
Upon check out, we had problem with payment process (credit card). Oh yes, need to say that if you pay with credit card, they will put extra charge of 3%. As there was problem with the credit card machine, the staff called the manager. There came a lady (the one I saw on the arrival at the main area) and she just stood there, silent and didn't seem trying to resolve the problem, not a word, not to the staff nor to us, the departing guests. No apologies, no goodbye, no thank you from her. Don't forget, no welcome on the first day!
Staff are nice but need more training, drivers of shuttle van are also friendly. Breakfast was lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

london
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel has the potential to become good, but at the moment it is not really finished and ready ...
We ordered the family penthouse , which cost $115 per night - a fortune in Bali.
We received a room without a door lock(!!!), without windows(!!!) in the bathroom and without curtains on the windows(!!!). We had no privacy.
Other problems: the swimming pool is murky. Also, the hotel is far from Ubud centre.
In other hotels we paid less than $100 per night and got much more. This hotel is not a good value for your money.
One good thing about the hotel: the staff is really friendly, helpful and useful, (except the hotel owner Andre).

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank adi_armoni
Sydney Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Our group of three families booked through a bnb website and expected that we had the whole villa to ourselves and that there was bicycles to ride into town. when we arrived we were allocated the northern rooms. No bikes were available.

Rooms were clean. breakfasts tasty and the staff very good. Swastika is a great guy, he made our stay very memorable.

The common area by the 'smallish' pool is good for reading or meeting other guests
Overall it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank heckendorfmortgage
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 6, 2013

indigo villas is a fantastic choice in ubud. the place itself keeps up to the promise of being a designer villa. it's a beautiful place where one easily and quickly feels at home. logistics are very easy as the villa operates 3 cars. the 5 minute shuttle drive to and from town center are for free. the location is a relatively quiet neighbourhood northeast of the center. the best things at indigo villas are the staff and the breakfast though. Swastika and his team are extremely friendly, helpful and funny - thumbs up, you guys are really great. and for the breakfast: we saw a bunch of Europeans coming back after one night somewhere else. they said: never change a winning breakfast...:-) overall: highly recommended!

Room Tip: you can't be wrong, all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank t0nymara
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Where do I start?
I booked 3 nights at indigo TREE at least a month prior to staying.
We were transported via a taxi from our accommodation at sanur. The taxi driver wasn't sure of the address so phoned indigo tree where he was given the address. We arrived at the address he was provided via indigo tree. On arrival it was very obvious it was not the 4 star accommodation I had booked via the Internet and they were trying to scam us to stay at their other accommodation 'indigo villas' without even mentioning it. I questioned it as it did not have the pool you see in photos or beautiful view as on website. The staff seemed lovely and tried to get us to stay by saying they would upgrade us to a honeymoon suite or give us two rooms ( as it was me and my mum travelling!) Feeling a little let down as it wasn't what we had booked and paid for and was quite far from town I asked to speak with the manager via the phone. He got on the phone and stated to me 'it's not a refuge or anything, don't be so judgemental'. He was trying to pull the old 'other people have decided to stay on and so there is no rooms, however funnily enough after I said I was disappointed he decided to change his mind and allow us to come. We were picked up and taken to indigo tree which was definitely much better than indigo villas, however what a disgrace the owner is. Not once did he come up and acknowledge us, smile at us, let alone say hello or apologise for the 3 days. It gets better. We had to sit in the lounge area for approximately 3 hours waiting for a room to be cleaned for us to put our stuff away, again no apologies from him. The owner is not Balinese and is of a European culture who obviously does not want anything to do with any other culture than his own. Myself and my mum are Australians and very easy going friendly people and were really amazed at his rudeness.

Such a shame, because.... The Balinese people who work there are gorgeous people, very kind hearted and lovely. There niceness and them being there actually allows the place to be ok. If it wasn't for the owner I would probably be giving a better review.

In terms of the hotel itself... We were put in a very small room for the first two nights, of which you could practically touch the walls from each side of the bed, and the shower was freezing cold each time, with ants everywhere, no tv, no fridge, no safety deposit box etc... But it was still ok for us as we aren't too fussed about many of those things. On our final night we were offered an upgrade. We were moved to a much larger room with two rooms. There was a tv which didn't work at all, the shower was still freezing cold and no fridge, but it was a lovely looking room, still ants everywhere.
The pool was fairly murky. I swam in it once but must admit I was worried I would catch something. Haha. It's very noisy in the morning very early you will be woken by animals etc, so don't expect to sleep past 6!

They serve breaky which was lovely. Choice of scrambled eggs or omelette, or pancakes and juice/coffee/tea. And then on the menu there is probably about 5 options, everything we had was nice.

The managers family lives here and must admit they treat the main area like there home, if you are sitting there don't expect to be treated well/ welcomed. It felt as if we were intruders in their home. Infact very interesting watching the few other visitors who were obviously of the same culture as them be spoken to, however any Australian/ other there was completely ignored.
Probably a good note to state that the daughter and her friend decided it would be nice to catch wild snakes and play with them in the lounge area allowing them to slide everywhere while we were eating a couple of feet away! As I said, they just don't care!

I find it quite hard to review this, because if it wasn't for the owner I would probably be giving a good review, however after the scam at the start and the treatment from the owner I would definitely not return and would warn you that it is very likely you too will be scammed, perhaps unless you are if his nationality!

On a final note, his disrespect for his workers is revolting!
A big thank you to the workers who were just lovely, friendly, hard workers and kind hearted!
P.S I would highly likely say the couple of good reviews are from the manager himself!

• Stayed April 2013
9 Thank Nat_lewy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I booked a family room with Indigo Tree Ubud with booking.com two months before I arrived in Bali. I decided to pay more than other hotels we were staying for the other days in Bali because I wish to let my families to experience a hotel that were described as on the page of Indigo Tree.

When we arrived at late night around 9pm, we were told by the owner of the hotel that the hotel rooms are all taken up and he said he is going to transport us to another villa that is owned by him. i told the hotel owner the reason i booked with his hotel because from the pictures and reviews and he assured me that the setting and vicinity are the same as the one i booked named Indigo Tree Ubud. He offered us a free upgrade to a 3 bedroom room although we are only a group of 4.

When we were here I realized we were being short change after I woke up the next morning being woke up by the noisy neighbors and heavy traffic of motorbikes.

The swimming pool is a small dip pool !
Not surrounded by coconut trees but with a small area of rice paddy field. It was a small villa that tucked in between some other villas and local houses. Not as described and promised!

Upon check in I am already disturbed by the inadequate provision in the hotel rooms we were upgraded. The rooms are neat and nicely decorated but there is no basic provisions a 3 stars hotel will provide.
No dresser table or mirror. Tv and DVD players are not working although looks new.
No trash bins and food left on tables will be filled with ants.

I am very disappointed with the hotel and after read up reviews on Indigo Villa online in the mornig I realized I am not the only one that was being relocated here after they book online for another hotel/resort.

I will not recommend this place and also not recommend others to book with indigo Tree Ubud because you won't know if they tell you their rooms are all full although booking has been and reconfirmed with the hotel was done a week before departing to Bali.

I will not pay USD135 for a night if I know I will be staying in Indigo Villa.

• Stayed March 2013