“A great place, but more of a guesthouse than a private villa”
Review of Indigo Villas

Indigo Villas
Ranked #458 of 612 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Our group of three families booked through a bnb website and expected that we had the whole villa to ourselves and that there was bicycles to ride into town. when we arrived we were allocated the northern rooms. No bikes were available.

Rooms were clean. breakfasts tasty and the staff very good. Swastika is a great guy, he made our stay very memorable.

The common area by the 'smallish' pool is good for reading or meeting other guests
Overall it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank heckendorfmortgage

Reviewed May 6, 2013

indigo villas is a fantastic choice in ubud. the place itself keeps up to the promise of being a designer villa. it's a beautiful place where one easily and quickly feels at home. logistics are very easy as the villa operates 3 cars. the 5 minute shuttle drive to and from town center are for free. the location is a relatively quiet neighbourhood northeast of the center. the best things at indigo villas are the staff and the breakfast though. Swastika and his team are extremely friendly, helpful and funny - thumbs up, you guys are really great. and for the breakfast: we saw a bunch of Europeans coming back after one night somewhere else. they said: never change a winning breakfast...:-) overall: highly recommended!

Room Tip: you can't be wrong, all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank t0nymara
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Where do I start?
I booked 3 nights at indigo TREE at least a month prior to staying.
We were transported via a taxi from our accommodation at sanur. The taxi driver wasn't sure of the address so phoned indigo tree where he was given the address. We arrived at the address he was provided via indigo tree. On arrival it was very obvious it was not the 4 star accommodation I had booked via the Internet and they were trying to scam us to stay at their other accommodation 'indigo villas' without even mentioning it. I questioned it as it did not have the pool you see in photos or beautiful view as on website. The staff seemed lovely and tried to get us to stay by saying they would upgrade us to a honeymoon suite or give us two rooms ( as it was me and my mum travelling!) Feeling a little let down as it wasn't what we had booked and paid for and was quite far from town I asked to speak with the manager via the phone. He got on the phone and stated to me 'it's not a refuge or anything, don't be so judgemental'. He was trying to pull the old 'other people have decided to stay on and so there is no rooms, however funnily enough after I said I was disappointed he decided to change his mind and allow us to come. We were picked up and taken to indigo tree which was definitely much better than indigo villas, however what a disgrace the owner is. Not once did he come up and acknowledge us, smile at us, let alone say hello or apologise for the 3 days. It gets better. We had to sit in the lounge area for approximately 3 hours waiting for a room to be cleaned for us to put our stuff away, again no apologies from him. The owner is not Balinese and is of a European culture who obviously does not want anything to do with any other culture than his own. Myself and my mum are Australians and very easy going friendly people and were really amazed at his rudeness.

Such a shame, because.... The Balinese people who work there are gorgeous people, very kind hearted and lovely. There niceness and them being there actually allows the place to be ok. If it wasn't for the owner I would probably be giving a better review.

In terms of the hotel itself... We were put in a very small room for the first two nights, of which you could practically touch the walls from each side of the bed, and the shower was freezing cold each time, with ants everywhere, no tv, no fridge, no safety deposit box etc... But it was still ok for us as we aren't too fussed about many of those things. On our final night we were offered an upgrade. We were moved to a much larger room with two rooms. There was a tv which didn't work at all, the shower was still freezing cold and no fridge, but it was a lovely looking room, still ants everywhere.
The pool was fairly murky. I swam in it once but must admit I was worried I would catch something. Haha. It's very noisy in the morning very early you will be woken by animals etc, so don't expect to sleep past 6!

They serve breaky which was lovely. Choice of scrambled eggs or omelette, or pancakes and juice/coffee/tea. And then on the menu there is probably about 5 options, everything we had was nice.

The managers family lives here and must admit they treat the main area like there home, if you are sitting there don't expect to be treated well/ welcomed. It felt as if we were intruders in their home. Infact very interesting watching the few other visitors who were obviously of the same culture as them be spoken to, however any Australian/ other there was completely ignored.
Probably a good note to state that the daughter and her friend decided it would be nice to catch wild snakes and play with them in the lounge area allowing them to slide everywhere while we were eating a couple of feet away! As I said, they just don't care!

I find it quite hard to review this, because if it wasn't for the owner I would probably be giving a good review, however after the scam at the start and the treatment from the owner I would definitely not return and would warn you that it is very likely you too will be scammed, perhaps unless you are if his nationality!

On a final note, his disrespect for his workers is revolting!
A big thank you to the workers who were just lovely, friendly, hard workers and kind hearted!
P.S I would highly likely say the couple of good reviews are from the manager himself!

• Stayed: April 2013
9  Thank Nat_lewy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I booked a family room with Indigo Tree Ubud with booking.com two months before I arrived in Bali. I decided to pay more than other hotels we were staying for the other days in Bali because I wish to let my families to experience a hotel that were described as on the page of Indigo Tree.

When we arrived at late night around 9pm, we were told by the owner of the hotel that the hotel rooms are all taken up and he said he is going to transport us to another villa that is owned by him. i told the hotel owner the reason i booked with his hotel because from the pictures and reviews and he assured me that the setting and vicinity are the same as the one i booked named Indigo Tree Ubud. He offered us a free upgrade to a 3 bedroom room although we are only a group of 4.

When we were here I realized we were being short change after I woke up the next morning being woke up by the noisy neighbors and heavy traffic of motorbikes.

The swimming pool is a small dip pool !
Not surrounded by coconut trees but with a small area of rice paddy field. It was a small villa that tucked in between some other villas and local houses. Not as described and promised!

Upon check in I am already disturbed by the inadequate provision in the hotel rooms we were upgraded. The rooms are neat and nicely decorated but there is no basic provisions a 3 stars hotel will provide.
No dresser table or mirror. Tv and DVD players are not working although looks new.
No trash bins and food left on tables will be filled with ants.

I am very disappointed with the hotel and after read up reviews on Indigo Villa online in the mornig I realized I am not the only one that was being relocated here after they book online for another hotel/resort.

I will not recommend this place and also not recommend others to book with indigo Tree Ubud because you won't know if they tell you their rooms are all full although booking has been and reconfirmed with the hotel was done a week before departing to Bali.

I will not pay USD135 for a night if I know I will be staying in Indigo Villa.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Terimama
Reviewed February 28, 2013

First off, we did not stay here. So if you are looking for a review of the actual lodgings, this will be irrelevant to you. But we are reviewing them because Andrew and Made, the owners, pulled a classic bait-and-switch. We booked a room on their other property on Airbnb. We were picked up by their driver and driven to the property we booked, only to be told that it was full. So the driver called the "front office," as he called it, and then proceeded to drive us out to Indigo Villas, which is much, much farther from the city center than the first property we booked. When we arrived at the Indigo, they tried to hard-sell us into staying there by promising "the nicest room" and plying us with a free coconut drink.

The room was probably very nice. But it was not what we booked (we wanted to be closer to downtown and be able to drive a motorbike around by ourselves. We NEVER would have found our way back to Indigo after sundown.)

What is irksome is that we did not receive any communication from Andrew or Made when they realized that our original booking was oversold / overbooked.

Our second priority when trying to find a place to stay is safety, comfort, and cleanliness. Our first priority is dealing with a business owner who is forthright. (We are not calling them cheats nor are we saying they are dishonest.) But this cost us half a day of trying to find alternate accomodations, the Ganesh Inn on 43 Jalan Hanuman. The owner said he had a room, and when we went to look at it, it was actually there. Imagine that.

Room Tip: Love a bait-and-switch? Stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Experienced T
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not big pool, but why you wanna swim in there? Ubud and Seminyak was totally different style. Go swim over there. In Indigo, the best way was just go around the country.In the evening, take some Bintang and order some seafood BBQ on the table. The rice field outside have some Fireflies. And there is a cat in the Villa, he is so cute. He slept with us all night long. ^^; The manager Swastika is good guy, he is so kind. I and my friends are living in Beijing, the biggest city of China. The Ubud and Indigo was really great for PPL like us. the citizens. No more car beeps, no more dirty air, just hear the quite and have a good rest. It's the best style there. Sorry for my poor English as well.

Room Tip: Most of the Bali Hotels are hard to find. And the Google Navigator was really bad for my Bali trip...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prc7965
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We are really grateful for the experience we had at Indigo Tree and Indigo Villas. The owner, Andre, is amazing. He has created a place where people can feel totally at home and he is always ready to help with anything you need. They offer free shuttle during the whole day to Ubud. All the staff members are also very kind and helpful. Beautiful surroundings and the rooms are clean and the food is healthy and yummy! Great price, We can safely say that this is the best places for a fantastic experience in Ubud.

Room Tip: The rooms are all cozy and clean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank franc_ernesto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
0 mi away
Four Seasons Resort Bali at Sayan
Kupu Kupu Barong Villas and Tree Spa
Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Indigo Villas? Share your experiences!