“Splendido” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolce Arancia

Dolce Arancia
Ranked #168 of 714 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Please check our website for alternative phone numbers
“Splendido”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I just ate here and from the minute we walked in until the minute we walked out Dolce Arrancia was FANTASTIC!!!

The service was impeccable, the food divine, decor/ambience perfect!

We will definitley be returning here before we leave.

Our compliments to Stefano and his crew!

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
“Delicious and Heart Felt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

When we first saw Dolce Arancia restaurant, Yudi was welcoming customers in with a huge smile as we were peering through the window.

We loved the décor – sort of high end “retro-chic”. Such a clever use of space, transforming this small venue, tucked away off the main road, into a very cool, very inviting and lively space. The mirrored walls are genius, making the place feel spacious and giving snippets of all the interesting things going in the corners of this stylish restaurant.

The food was as delicious as the space. My favourite was the gnocchi gorgonzola – the sauce was creamy and decadent, and the gnocchi pieces still firm (many are a little sloppy). The signature salad is unusual and delicious. We’ve been there a few times since, and resisting dessert is pointless.

They make their own bread, so the bread basket is something to dream about (after spending a few weeks in Bali where rice is abundant, and good bread less so).

The service is warm, heart-felt and impeccable. Stefano and Yudi really care about people, and care that people have a great time in their restaurant. You can’t help but feel special just by being there.

This restaurant is definitely worth another visit or few!

Sydney, Australia
“Delicious meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had a delicious meal of bruschetta al pomodoro, pesto pasta and also the pappardelle with porcini and italian sausage in a parmesan crust. The parmesan crust was certainly an interesting and unique way to serve the pasta. If you are looking for a change from Indonesian food, give Dolce Arancia a try. In terms of what this restaurant lacked, it was a sense of atmosphere. Both times we visited we were the only diners.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Plano, Texas
“True Italian far away from Italy!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have visited this restaurant a couple of times with my husband while in Ubud on vacation and I have to say it. I liked it very much, food was fresh and very tasty with attention to the presentation.
I had the bruschetta mista, excellent, and then got the spaghetti with shrimps and zucchini. Delicious! the grilled salmon that my husband ordered was very good and very well cooked and then the top notch was the tiramisu. I had already tried the one with wild berries the first time we were there and this time I had the classic tiramisu.
As an Italian/American that has visited a lot of restaurant around the world, I have to say that I did not expect to find this jewel so far away from Italy.
I do not understand some people that have never traveled and never been to Italy and still they pretend to know everything about Italian food. Really? Who puts cheese on fish? Only someone that has been eating at Apple Bees or Ruby Tuesday or, even worst, at Olive Garden!
Please, give me a break! This is a real Italian food and it is amazing considering that it must not be easy to find the right ingredients in Bali.
Keep up the good work, we'll be back as soon we put our feet in Ubud again!

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Very average. Not worth the trip advisor hype”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I went here because it made trip advisor's top ten list; never would have wandered here otherwise given it's in a dark alley between monkey forest road and hanoman. I was pretty disappointed overall. The food is a slight upgrade from eating at a tourist trap place in kuta with one of those "everything menus." But given it is a specialty restaurant, I expected the food to be something special. Unfortunately it was simply very plain. First, the bread was too moist and tasted like cheap quality white bread you buy at the supermarket. Even the average Italian restaurants I go to back in the US have homemade freshly baked bread that is crusty on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The bruschetta we ordered had slightly better quality bread, but definitely didn't even come close to making the cut. Usually if the bread is bad, I lose hope for everything else. This proved to be true at Dolce Arancia. The mixed green salad we ordered was very generic with no value added. It was no different from diner salad where they give you a plate of lettuce with some dressing from a tube on the side. The tomatoes were cut in large chunks and there were giant cucumbers (who puts giant cucumbers in a salad!) along with way too many carrots. I expected some a bit more tasteful. Perhaps a dash of purple cabbage, some interesting veggies, some nuts/berries, and a premixed sauce would help. I can't mix the balsamic vingrette in the salad on a plate. Please put it in a bowl next time and premix it. The chef should know the exact amount of dressing to use. On to the main course. The spaghetti with shrimp and zucchini was just horrible. First I did not expect the dish to have tomato sauce in it. I thought it was going to be a white wine sauce given it's description on the menu as a wine sauce. The shrimp was overcooked and the dish as loads of carrots in it. The carrots overpowered everything else. The tomato sauce was quite sour and didn't really blend well with the spaghetti. There was also too much sauce and the sauce didn't really "infuse" with the spaghetti. The other main course ordered was lobster ravioli. Not only did we get a small portion of ravioli, there was very little lobster in it. The sauce was better but completely overpowered the lobster and cheese. There was no balance here. I was so disapointed that i didn't even have dessert. Ate was a gelato place nearby that was much better value.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chertem-koy L
somoro77, General Manager at Dolce Arancia, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Mr. Chertem,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a bad review about us.

I sincerely believe that you WANTED to have a bad experience at Dolce Arancia. You wanted it so much that you started to complain even before entering our premises, about the street where we are located, Jalan Goutama, which is one of the most typical and popular streets in Ubud. When you have such a grumpy attitude about the world surrounding you, it becomes very difficult to enjoy a dinner anywhere.
In Jalan Goutama are located several top rated TripAdvisor restaurants, so I was a bit surprised to see that even though you stated that you visited us as we reached the top ten, we are the only ones that you in fact decided to rate (or to visit?).
Reaching the top ten is something that can create jealousy, we understand, and we are ready to receive biased reviews such as yours.

Let’s start from where you started: our complimentary bread.
Freshly made at Dolce Arancia every single morning, it’s not bought from other shops, it’s not defrosted, it’s made with organic ingredients, and without salt for a healthier choice. There are hundreds of different ways to make bread, and we are sorry that you didn’t like it.

Our bruschetta: is made exactly with the same bread that you didn’t like at first. Surprisingly enough, you liked the bruschetta. Thank you.

Mixed salad: made only with local greens and vegetables, it comes with baby romain, lettuce, radicchio, green and purple curly lettuce, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, sautéed bell peppers. It’s not even close to the description you gave.
It’s not dressed by our chefs as we leave the freedom to our guests whether to use our balsamic dressing, or just extra virgin olive oil and vinegar, or any other dressing upon request. AND, also our dressings are made on the premises.
You should have probably asked for our house salad, which is a much richer salad and probably would have matched your tastes more.

Spaghetti with shrimps: It’s one of our best selling dishes, and yes you are right, it comes with a tomato sauce. This said, you should have asked for a substitution dish if you were not happy with the tomato sauce. Apologies if this also was not of your liking.

Ravioli with lobster: Another best selling dish, it’s also made fresh every day at Dolce Arancia, like many other things. There are three whole lobsters in every single portion. Serving you more would mean asking for a price that would be too high. You mentioned cheese: Obviously enough we serve the ravioli lobster without any cheese. Did you REALLY put cheese on the lobster? Because from the way you write it sounds like you know about cooking, or possibly even manage a restaurant somewhere.

Our desserts: Every single dessert is homemade at Dolce Arancia. One of our desserts costs the same that you spent for two/three scoops of industrial gelato that you decided to have outside. I am not too sure about the better value you are talking about…

I would like to finish with a metaphor: On the market there are so many ingredients, so many products that we can use to cook or to create special dishes. Some of them are very expensive and refined, but this notwithstanding there will always be a 1% of the population that doesn’t like them. Think about foie gras, or truffle for example. Well, your review about Dolce Arancia comes alone after we received 96 beautiful ones. I’d like to think that you belong to that 1% of the population who doesn’t like truffle.

Best regards,