“real Italian specialties”

Dolce Arancia
Ranked #234 of 820 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Please check our website for alternative phone numbers
Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you want to taste the real Italian cuisine, you need to try Dolce Arancia!
delicious variety of antipasti, all pasta dishes are just like Mamma made them, not to talk about desserts...yummy, the best tirami su in all of Asia

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our first day in Bali to celebrate the birthday week of my wife, we visited Dolce Arancia by chance. We were wandering around Ubud, having walked almost 6-7 kms that day, looking for a good place to eat. We had drinks at our favorite restaurant, Cinta, and then decided that we'd want to try dinner elsewhere. From a buy 1 get 1 free drink, they'd changed it to buy 2 get 1.

In Dolce, I found the interiors of the place a bit odd. Quite unlike restaurants in Bali, it was small, a bit cramped, with low ceilings. So our first impression was not entirely good. The glass on one side of restaurant did'nt add to the ambience either. However stepping into Dolce itself was quite a welcoming experience. The owner, Udi, was there that day and boy, did she make each of her guests feel like royalty. Flitting from table to table she was the perfect hostess.We ordered some wine, pricey even for Bali, but had been on a high from a drink before and so let it go. Then we had some bread served to us ....really good warm bread and olive oil. Finally for mains my wife ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana and I ordered the Grilled Salmon steak served on a bed of potato salad and topped with grilled zucchini. I ordered my salmon medium well. When I bit into my first piece, the taste was amazing. Just tender enough with being overcooked. Words escape me. Overall I'd say, dont go by the size of the restaurant, but the food is usually good.

Our second experience was a bit of a let down after the first. The usually cheery Udi was not there. While the others servers tried their best to fill her shoes, UDI is a difficult game to match. Maybe our first experience was so good, that anything after that would be a let down. While my salmon was superb, my wife's main course was not too good. Infact not too good to the point we had to send it back.

somoro77, General Manager at Dolce Arancia, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Sunil581, dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Dolce Arancia.

We all are very happy that overall you enjoyed your experience at our restaurant.

It's true, Dolce Arancia is a small tiny restaurant, with only nine tables, and when we are full you can feel it. It's just like restaurants in Italy, where the tables are close to each other, without however disturbing the guests next to you. This is actually what most of our guests like at Dolce Arancia: A real Italian ambience.

I apologize for not being there the second time you came back. I remember very well about you and I was actually waiting to seeing you back, I just wasn't expecting that you would have been back so soon!

Our girls do all they can in giving the best service they can. They all are at the beginning of their careers, and already doing a great job. I am proud of them as they are great girls and put their heart in what they do.

Anyways, after looking into the problem you had with the food, I have to disagree with your complain.
In fact, while you ordered a salmon that you enjoyed as much as the day before, your wife asked for a custom special dish, that we do not have on the menu. She asked for tagliatelle with a sauce that only used cream, salt, and pepper, as per your request. No wonder she didn't like it!!! This is nowhere close to an Italian dish... and I believe we can't be blamed for this.
Such a dish was prepared exclusively for your wife, based on your instructions. However, she didn't like it and sent it back, and we changed it immediately and at no cost for a gnocchi dish that she enjoyed even though you did not mention it in your review.

Once again, thank you for visiting us twice during your holiday. We would love to see you back at Dolce Arancia the next time you come to Ubud. I will be very happy to welcome you again!

Should you need any further assistance, or should you wish to talk any further about your last visit, I would love to hear from you. You can write me at info@dolcearancia.com

Best regards,

Yudi Astiari

Reviewed October 5, 2013

You should definitely go there! this is the only advice I can give, because it will be difficult to write in words the flavor the taste and the beauty of the dishes.
It is not the first time that my husband and I go to this restaurant and every time is a pleasure.
Recently they have also changed the menu, and with great satisfaction I found the apples and gorgonzola ravioli, mammamia, super!
Even the desserts have the new entry, do not miss the mascarpone cheese with red berries!
So what are you waiting, trust me you wont be disappointed and enjoy your meal!!!!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The owner is Italian and sources local ingredients as well as directly from Italy where appropriate and necessary for the taste. So food was absolutely great. Prices are reasonable, staff is great.
All in all, i would say a great experience and happy to come back next time we are in Ubud.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

there is a lot of Italian here in ubud, but these place is where I go when I feel like a great lasagna... small but cozy, fully air-condition, good when its really hot outside. good staff, good service. so when you are in ubud this is one of the place you should try....