We are seasoned travellers and have visited many countries and stayed in a wide variety of places from budget to 5 star and we have come to the conclusion The Rice Joglo in Ubud is now at the top of the list..for many reasons...here are some:
1. The location - it's situated just 10-15 mins walk to the centre of Ubud or a few minutes on the scooter. The pathway from town is narrow and winding and so incredibly beautiful with the water flowing constantly on both sides, breathtaking views of the rice fields and no cars allowed. It's worth it just to walk on this pathway and take a look at the property even if you don't stay there.
2. The staff - Sonu is the manager and he will make sure you enjoy your stay, he's kind, caring and has a great sense of humour. Also Wayan and the other staff members are always there for anything you need.
3. The accomodation - we stayed in agung suite for the first few nights, which is so beautiful, huge open living space, two levels with the big comfortable bed upstairs which looks straight out to the rice fields. One day we walked past the treehouse when they were cleaning it and asked the staff if we could look inside, then fell in love and moved in the next day for 5 more days. The treehouse is bigger and has the most beautiful outdoor bathroom you've ever seen (the pictures don't do it justice) with vast amounts of different living/chilling areas, and the sound of the water from the ravine before you sleep and when you wake up.
The structure and interior design is (for me) the best I've seen.
4. The breakfast - Wayan makes the best banana pancakes and you can have tea, coffee, chai, eggs..whatever you want..all fresh ingredients. Thanku Wayan for the beautiful food. Also if you're lucky Sonu might offer to make you his famous curry, it's so delicious.
5. The nature - you are in the middle of the rice fields and surrounded by wide open spaces, animals and scenery you can never tire of.
I do have many more reasons but don't want to write a novel, I think you get the picture.
Even if you don't decide to stay, check the location in google maps and walk the path, see the place (you can't miss it) and even go in for a refreshing drink, Sonu and Wayan will welcome you. Tell them Melody sent you
Enjoy Ubud, and safe travelling
We had a really fantastic time staying at the Rice Jogolo! Everything was just better than we could have hoped for and our memories of the place will last forever. Sonu and Wayan were fantastic hosts and looked after us brilliantly - including a stunning breakfast each day. The excursions and activities were fantastic, particularly the downhill mountain bike ride and the Balinese cooking class which was fun and sooooo tasty!!
On good advice,I booked at joglo rice for 3 nights and simply fell in love with the place. ..located in the rice fields,little structure(balinese style),away from the crowd and center of ubud pollution,which makes you feel at home,in harmony with nature,sonu will treat you as a friend and will take care of all your needs.
Will definetely come back and highly recommand it
The rice joglo was absolutely our highlight of our trip in Bali not only in Ubud. The place is absolutely gorgeous, super nature oriented with amazing views of the rice paddies just like its shown on Lonely Planet. The whole decoration of each Villa there is perfect. Sonu (owner) is the nicest guy we met there. We became good friends after only a few days. He was super helpful with our luggage taking it to the Villa and also taking it back when we needed to leave. His breakfasts are the best thing as well, he was always happy to spend time with us and help us plan our trip around Ubud. This is the perfect place for honey moons , for solo travelers and for everyone who is looking to stay in paradise with an amazing host-Sonu!!
Just got back from visiting Bali for the first time and I had to send a quick note to my people at the Rice Jogloo located in Ubud. As this place came highly recommended from a friend who had previously visited, my expectations going in where very high. Let me be the first to tell you that our expectations were met and exceeded. From the surrounding rice fields that provide unreal views and a sense of calm, to the staff, this place is a MUST VISIT.
Kristen the owner was very helpful in answering any and all questions. Sanu, the point man on location is an incredible host and knows how to make the experience whatever it is you need it to be.
I will definitely be going back. Thank you again to the Rice Jogloo and their staff for providing a once and a life time experience.
We stayed 4 nights at the 'Agung Suite' with our two teenage daughters and all the 4 of us enjoyed it SO much.
The location is absolutely divine - out in the middle of the beautiful rice fields of Ubud. You cannot drive there with a car, so it's completely quiet and the only sounds are from the animals (and a little bit all the scooters passing through). You walk at a little, beautiful and very scenic route to Ubud. The one way takes you to the center of Ubud in only 15 minutes and there's plenty of small, cosy cafes, shops, yoga places and spa/massage places on the way. If you walk the longer way it'll probably take around 45 minute, but it's so much worth it because the scenery is absolutely beautiful and 'jungle-like'.
THE RICE JOGLO:
Extremely friendly people with there and they do everything with a warm smile and patience. The houses are SO beautifully decorated that you just want to buy all the same things for your own home!
The breakfast which is included is simple, yet very tasteful and nice. You get banana/coconut pancakes (very yummy), toasted bread, homemade jam, fresh fruit, freshly laid duck eggs any style and Balinese coffee. Throughout the day you can drink coffee, tea, and water. And the small outdoor kitchen is open for you to use as well if you feel like it during the day.
There is a small pool (quite cold) that especially our daughters enjoyed after a long day in Ubud (so many beautiful things to buy at the market, where bargaining is so much fun - from our experience yhe starting price is about double (or even less) than the final price.
Little things that's nice to know:
There's no hairdryer so if you need that, you probably should bring that from home. You are provided with one towel per person.
We stayed in the Ravine suite. It was outstanding. Really beautiful views from every angle. The property is situated on the Kajeng rice field walk in Ubud so tourist pass all the time. The property is so beautiful everyone stops to photograph it. The area is so peaceful and tranquil especially after the noise and number of people in the centre of Ubud. We loved our walk back every day it was a time to destress! The staff at the Rice Joglo are wonderful. They are so welcoming and helpful. We loved our stay and if we visit Ubud again we will definitely stay here!