“Not if you are a light sleeper and a private person.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jawi House & Painter
Ranked #127 of 529 Ubud B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Not if you are a light sleeper and a private person.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Decided to stay here after reading the good reviews of this place,booked a 12 day stay .
The good points are the rooms are clean and tidied everyday ,the balcony view is pretty and lovely to sit out and write and Putu's husband was helpful in getting me around and doing my raw groceries for me, really appreciated his help.
Now for the less than stellar points ,if you an insomniac /light sleeper like me please think twice before booking this place ,first I could hear the live music from The Laughing Buddha Bar in my room till 2 am ,the neighbors dog howls constantly and the houses are so close that I can hear the neighbors laughing and kids running up and down the stairs clearly in my room .Barely had 4 hours of sleep every night to top it off I could hear the next room occupants activity such as switching on the lights ,opening the door ,bathing and blaring of music .Lack of sleep during the night one would think of catching an afternoon nap but they decided to start constructing a third room right above the room during the day even thou she gave me a 5 % discount I would have appreciated it if she would have told me in an advance before my arrival so I could have an option to look for another place due to the noise.It was USD 35 per night which I felt it should have been USD 30 the most for the room.
Putu is nice to the point of being overbearing ,even thou as a solo female traveler I don't need to be babied .She would constantly stop me on my way up to my room or knock to see if I need anything and even if the answer is no she will continue chatting for awhile even thou it can be late at night and I look beat.Not to mention that she would call me on my cell constantly till it runs my battery low and once till it died (I am not exaggerating this) for things such as breakfast when I have clearly stated I do not have breakfast ,hot water which I have stated I would like it twice a day just leave it outside my door,dinner ,she is insistent that I must eat something she makes daily despite me explaining to her that I am a raw food consumer and follow a certain diet.Heaven forbid if I do not answer as she will not stop ringing my cell till I pick it up for all these petty things which she can ask me when she sees me in 10 minutes and it's the same questions daily .
While I understand it is in their culture to be friendly but I am a extremely private and introvert person and can be extremely uncomfortable by a constant presence ,even thou I try to politely hint my uneasiness she doesn't get it .The final straw was when I didn't answer the door when she knocked in the morning as I was changing and she just opened it where I was nude ,shrieking,trying to grab a towel in front of me but she just laughed and entered my room and continued to talk .I don't know if this the norm in Balinese culture but this was downright rude and invasion of my privacy as to my understanding you do not enter if there is no answer or permission and despite her saying she treats me like her daughter I am still a guest ,I was extremely upset by this and would not consider staying there again as I do not think there would be any little of what is left of privacy respected the next time .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank asjahstrina

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at Jawi's house for 10 days at the beginning of September and it was a wonderful stay. There are two rooms available. We stayed in the bigger one which was always extremely clean. The furniture is very nice and the terrace and vegetation provided us with intimacy and quiet. Putu, the host, cooks breakfast every morning. She is simply wonderful and the whole family is very friendly and genuinely happy to meet new travelers. Putu and her husband, Jawi, even took us to one of their temples for late night kecak dance. They are a nice, thoughtful and very hospitable family. Also the price is quite amazing considering the excellent location of the house and the quality of the rooms and breakfast. Jawi's house is a hidden jewel in the heart of Ubud! Thank you very much Putu!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Jawi House for 2 nights in October 2013. I'd read such good reviews on TA that I wanted to check it out for myself. It did not disappoint!
The two guest rooms are both a good size with lovely balconies looking out onto the tree tops. They are nicely furnished with lovely bathrooms and Putu and her husband keep everything immaculately clean. Breakfast (try the banana pancakes, they are delicious!) on your balcony is a lovely, peaceful experience.
Even though you are right in the middle of the action on Monkey Forest Rd, because Jawi House is set back from the street down a little pathway, it is really leafy and quiet.
The real difference here though is the hospitality shown by Putu - what a lovely person she is! Nothing is too much trouble - from more tea to trips around town on the back of her motorbike. Putu is very keen to improve her English so sit down and have a chat to her.
The only thing missing is a pool but for the price (I paid about $aus 35/night), the value is hard to beat and we were out and about all day anyway.
I will definitely stay with Putu again as she made my Ubud experience perfect.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Beedeebabe
Granada, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

In the very heart of Ubud, 50m from Monkey Forest Road, this is a very comfortable place to stay. Very welcoming and caring hosts. Extremely clean and big bedroom with nice modern furniture, a terrace, a big bathroom with a real tub. Nice breakfast served in the room. Your room is cleaned every day. Very quiet location next to busy Monkey Forest Road. Price is really soft for this quality (400000 IRP/night). I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms, one is a little bigger
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DPhilippe
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed at Jawi House at the end of Septenber/ beginning of October. I had the larger suite all to myself (there is more then enough room for 2). Putu's hospitality and breakfasts were amazing. I was a solo female traveler and she was very helpful with any questions I had. The room beautiful with a massive bed and everything was spotless. I would highly recommend staying at Jawi House! You are in central Ubud but still get the peacefulness and beauty that Ubud is famous for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jessicababii
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

It took us a while to locate the exact location of the homestay (it's located at the back alley of laughing buddha bar) but Putu was waiting for us and greeted us with her warm smiles, and not to forget, her very nice welcome tea! All these kind gestures of Putu definitely lightened up our day as we were tired from travelling on road.

My fiance and I spent a good 4nights there and we decided to cancel our stay back to Kuta, wanted to extend another night to stay in Ubud with Jawi house. Too bad it was already fully booked. Putu was so helpful that she helped us to get another room for our extended night in Ubud and made sure that we were all taken care of. I travelled and stayed in homestays and I can vouch that Jawi House is the best by far :)

We stayed in the bigger room which is considered very big and comfortable for the price we paid. The room and bathroom were so clean without a speck of dust. Putu was always ready and concerned if we needed any help or guidance to roam around the town during our stay in Ubud. Her hospitaility certainly makes Ubud a better place to be in Bali!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MZoe7
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I wanted to stay at a guesthouse in Bali and have the experience the true balinese b&b (bed and breakfast) hospitality experience. I am 110% glad I did and I cannot recommend Jawi Guesthouse enough. When I return to Bali, I will definitely stay with Jawi once again. Putu (the owner) took me on her scooter whenever I needed a ride within the Ubud center. She was so friendly and helpful. I felt that she truly cared for her customers. I am sad that I only had two nights with her and had to leave. The room was immaculate and everything was brand new (I think the guesthouse is only a year or so old). From the sheets to the furnishing, tiles, and bathroom - they chose the best quality they can get. The location on Monkey Forest was quite nice - just 50 feet or so away from Laughing Buddha, a bar that plays live music and where I found myself at night. The alley to the homestay was well-lit and safe. Such a VALUE and AMAZING experience! Looking forward to my stay again one day. Thank you Putu and Family!

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo