“Great hotel and staff”

Ranked #72 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
New York City, New York
“Great hotel and staff”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel was barely 1 year old, so the accommodations were great. The hotel arranged our airport pick up which was there upon arrival and took us straight to the hotel. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel organizes a shuttle and tours for you if you want to go out. There are free bike rentals so you can ride around the area. The wifi is in the restaurant and lobby which worked out well, because it forces you to leave your room and enjoy the evening outside getting to know the hotel staff. Food was great in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have stayed in Bhuwana Ubud for 2 nights in August 2013. This was the worst hotel during my whole stay. Though the location of the hotel is great (beautiful views, quiet, not far from Ubud) and the hotel is quite clean, there was nothing else good about Bhuwana.

While booking I have send them a note that I would like to get a room with one double bed. It seems that nobody even read that remark, I got a twin room with two singe beds.

Just after checking into my room I have received a call from the receptionist. All he wanted was to inform me that they prefer cash as payment and if I would pay the room by a credit card, they will charge me 3% more ( usual practice in Bali shops, but I never experienced that in a hotel). Not a warm welcome...

There are two choices of the rooms: groundfloor and first floor. My room was upstairs and had a nice balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Rooms are simply furnished, quite spaciuos and clean, but the bathrooms are terrible- small, dark ( tiny, prison-like windows near the ceiling) and uncomfortably simplified. They provide just a tiny bathgel/shampoo, enough only for one shower. In the evening there was no hot water, but it seems to be a usual problem in Ubud hotels of that range.

The whole first floor has a dormitary feeling: a long corridor with rooms, separated by paper thin walls, so you can hear everything your neighbours are doing. The next morning I was woken up at 7.20 by a loud conversation of the staff cleaning the neighbouring room. I asked them to be more silent, as I was sick and needed more sleep, but they didnt. In the end I had to call the reception and ask them to stop the noise.

The food in the restaurant was terrible. I have ordered a grilled chicken for dinner; what I got was a pathetic piece of old rooster first cooked in unsalted water, then dried on the grill and spiced with bottled sauce. A shame to serve that to a guest, even in a low range hotel.

The breakfast was very poor, offering a few indonesian dishes ( nasi goreng, noodles), and some cheapest quality supplements. There were no fresh friuts, no butter, but some cheap artificial creamy thing instead, only one choice of cornflakes.

The staff in the restaurant hardly spoke English, however, they were very friendly and helpful.

As I asked the reception to organise a taxi for my departure, they tried to sell me their own service of driving me to Jimbaran for 350000rp (~35$), claiming that meter taxi would be even more expensive. As I said that I know the usual price is 250000Rp, the receptionist suddently could organise a taxi for 270000Rp. So, always bargain, as they try hard to overcharge you, hoping you dont notice. By the way, there are no metric taxis in Ubud, so you always have to agree a fixed price. But be careful, as taxi drivers also practice ripping-off tourits.
Overall, what I liked in this hotel was the location and cleanliness. But I wouldnt come back here again and I wouldnt recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SkierSwiss
candrawatiputu, Director of Sales at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
warmest regards from Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

first of all would like to thank you for stay at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

here with would like to response your positive comment to make a better service at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel

take note for the room request, as we are high season on july and August we could not confirm the type of the room bed

take note for the payment by credit card, 3 % is bank fee

take note for the restaurant,staff,transport and wi-fi connection,here with would like to improve our service by doing some training to staff and making good service in the future.we are still in the process for the Wi-fi in the room and some provider could not working at Ubud area thats why the process a bit longer.price for the transport is a normal price in Ubud and we do searching from the other hotel in Ubud about transport price.

thank you for your reviewed and would like to serve you better in the future
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel could be normal but it has to many small bad things. To make it easier:
1. When I arrived, the bathroom smelt horrible. Something in the pipes, I gues
2. No wifi in rooms, so you need to go to the lobby. Since all guest were doing the same, it became a bit crowded and the speed of the connection was not outstanding
3. Walls are paper thin so you can have a nice incursion in other people conversation next door (or whatever they may do!)
4. Shuttle service. It is free but outside of the establish schedule, you will be forced to take their own taxi which costs 70k (whilst in Ubud it will be 50k at maximum). If you are lucky and meet the nice staff there, you may get a ride for free.
5. Top floor rooms are in a corridor which is open to the vegetation around. During the night, all insects come attracted by the lights...
6. Rice fields. No the best in Ubud---

Room Tip: I would chose a room in the lower floor facing the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review to our hotel as we do commit for always doing the improvement for satisfy our guest.
1.For bathroom problem, will take note to check the pipe as you said the smelt must be coming from inside, plumbing system.
2. We would love to install the WIFI at the room, it is still on process due it is a matter of overall connection in UBUD, there are spot area are not well covered.
3. Take note for the wall, as the room is side by side, will still can hear the conversation next to you as there is balcony side by side also.
4. Shuttle service, we provide 3 car for shuttle service, with scheduled every two hours to service all the guest, outside of the schedule, the extra charge must be applied. and need reservation at advance for shuttle arrangement . Take note to review the cost price
5. Take note for the insect attract by light at second floor corridor.

Once again, thank you for your review and looking forward to welcome you again at Bhuwana Ubud Hotel.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Love n will stay again in Ubud Bhuwana.
1. Great check in staff, very helpful n polite
2. Got free shuttle service to city center of Ubud, very nice driver
3. Never had racist experience between local or foreigner tourist from hotel staff
4. New hotel
5. Great view

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here in July with large group and hotel could not have been more perfect. Arriving after a long night travelling the staff were more than willing to allow us check in early... that day we lounged by the beautiful and peaceful pool..such a tranquil setting.

The rooms were spacious and cool, with the necessary extras and nice touches like balcony over looking pool, towel rack and complimentary water. A safe is provided at reception.

Staff were so happy to deal with any requests or set up tours for us/ taxis/ shuttle buses.

We took advantage of free bikes and cycled into ubud center, takes around 10-15 minutes. However was difficult finding place to leave them! Also would recommend cycling behind hotel to see rice fields and local houses/ schools..lovely experience!

Service in restaurant is slow but we quickly found that was the pace of life in bali!

Amazing experience

• Stayed July 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

this hotel is not a hotel, it's a resort. they have a great big clean room. fresh water the view is great. wo quite and peacefull, the staff is very nice. we stay for 2 night and it's been faboulus stay.
but the negative: hot water is not ready. you must wait 15 minutes then the hot waters is out.
the wifi on the restorant is bad. I never be able to connect.
the positive: the staff very nice, I have a birthday surprise from the staff with birthday cake.

Definetly we are going to back here...

Room Tip: you must stay for 2 night or more...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tito D
jacksonville,fl
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We arrived at this hotel after spending a crazy,hectic week in Jakarta and WOW... this is when our vacation finally began! The grounds itself resonates tranquility and relaxation with the gorgeous tropical foliage & landscaping. The location of the hotel itself was a bit difficult for our driver to find. We did spend awhile driving up and down the main road and making numerous U-turns until he was finally able to find it. Upon arrival, we were giving a cool, refreshing welcome drink which was absolutely delightful! The young lady at the desk was very courteous and always had a smile on her face. The rooms are decorated in traditional Balinese design and architecture which further contributed to the island feel. Room are clean with a nice cool AC and even a drying rack is provided which is a nice touch. Our bathroom had both a stand alone shower and a tub. Two bottled waters are also provided daily. We spent the first night relaxing in the pool and even had the opportunity to watch a Balinese dance performance that night. The next day, we utilized the complimentary bikes provided by the hotel to explore the rice patties behind the hotel. Shortly, we decided we would cover more ground by renting scooters which the hotel also provides for an additional fee (70,000 IDR/day). We drove into the center of Ubud, explored Monkey Forest and other areas which was about a ten minute ride from the hotel. The hotel does provide a free shuttle service into town with various drop off/pick up times. But it was definitely part of the Bali experience to rent scooters! After a long day of exploration, we spent the last part of the day,again, relaxing in the pool. There is an in pool bar/food service which was very convenient since we just ate dinner while still in the pool!! WiFi is available only by the restaurant which personally I didn't mind. Who spends time looking at the internet while on vacation anyway? The breakfast provided every morning was basic: toast, sausages, various cereals. There was also a cook on hand to make omelettes when requested. Wait staff, cleaning staff and front desk staff were all outstanding. Very courteous and always greeted you when walking by. Overall we had a wonderful stay at Bhuwana, made some great friends and connections and will definitely return!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple