“Sweetness”

Ranked #129 of 592 Ubud B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Sweetness”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have stayed in and around Ubud many times and was looking for a place that offered peace and space, away from the crazy energy of the main streets but not so far to walk to. I found it in Mulawarman.
Its a family business which adds to the charm and The owner Wayan is so lovely and welcoming and happy to help in any way, be it food, tea, massage, transport, sight seeing or just someone to hang out with whilst listening to the sounds of the beautifu,l tropical jungle.
It takes about 10/15 mins to stroll into the lively streets of Ubud and even shorter if you are comfortable with a motorbike! There are always locals willing to take you down the road!
The rooms are clean simple and have everything you need. I stayed in a larger room up stairs which had a balcony overlooking the rainforest and big comfy bed. Also a good sized bathroom!
If you're looking for plush decadence then this isn't the right choice for you! I enjoy a few comforts when I travel and felt that what this quietly beautiful place lacks in the finer things, more than makes up for in the soul and heart department!
Sari Organik restaurant is a happy 15/20 min walk through the rice fields and there is a great spa 'Cantika' along the way if you want to make a massage pit stop!
I was travelling alone and felt quite safe staying and wandering around in the area.
Wayan offers her accomadation to you as a second home in Bali and it is just that! X

Room Tip: The smaller room i was offered had a shower sharing the space with the toilet so if you enjoy a larg...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AnjaliLenni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 10, 2013

To know how wonderful Mulawarman is, I am girl from Jakarta travelling alone (quite unheard of) for 8 days in Bali, 4 days in Ubud, so I looked high and low for a place that would be safe. I took a chance on Mulawarman Ubud and I got a lot more than safe.

Mulawarman is located right at the edge of a ravine, and what a beautiful place to stay in. I was in room 6, one of the four smaller rooms, but it was gorgeously decorated with Balinese style. They offered me a choice of the other 2 free rooms, but the one they picked out was just right for me, but it was great to be offered.

The dressing mirror in my room with a bouquet of fresh flowers (it stayed fresh for all of the 4 days I was there) made me feel as if I was not in a hotel, but a well decorated place of a friend who welcomed you into their homes. The bed was so comfortable, and the pillows were fluffy, and these are important to me, who has difficulty sleeping. I got fresh towels every day (they are HUGE). I was staying alone but I had two towels nonetheless, always charmingly rolled on top of the bed, which was made exquisitely every day. I "come home" to a clean haven, and a sigh of relief always escapes when I enter my room.

The first morning I woke up in Mulawarman, I was quite ill, because I traveled and partied a little hard the first four days in Bali. Ibu Wayan, the madam, the owner of the place, told me to sit down and calmly asked me what was wrong. I gave her my symptoms (sore and dry throat, blocked nose and exhaustion in general) and she took it upon herself to make me better. It was a hot pot of ginger tea, fresh fruits and her amazing pandan pancake for breakfast. At the end of the hour I spent on the breakfast bench, I was feeling so much more like myself, my voice was much better and I could breathe through my nose again.

When I came home from an 8 hour trip around Bali, Ibu Wayan offered me a bowl of pumpkin soup when I told her I forgot dinner - even though it was well near 10PM and her kitchen was empty. She cooks every day for breakfast and dinner by the way, and has to buy fresh ingredients every day. Her husband, a most humble and friendly man, offers to take me into town on his bike for many occassion - for the simple reason that I was a girl traveling alone. Together they will put you into a very relaxed state of mind and body. On my last night someone put some frangipani flowers on my bed, and I kept them right beside my pillows, and slept to the smells of frangipani and the sounds of crickets and the symphony of nature. On my very last day I booked for a massage in my room with a masseuse Ibu Wayan herself uses. Please ask Ibu Wayan for it - the masseuse was very good, and I believe every woman will LOVE the scrub (lulur) treatment. My skin is thanking her for it. What a way to end my stay.

If you are looking for a place that is different from any other, and an experience as well as a comfortable place to stay in, I urge you to try Mulawarman in Ubud. I think everyone will take away something great from the place. I can't even explain what happened to me here. I came home still refreshed and that almost never happens in my travels.

In conclusion, there is:
Wifi
Steaming hot water
The most comfortable bed and pillows in a hotel I have ever slept on
The best quiet and silence with nature for a truly relaxing experience
Ibu Wayan and her husband who will take care of you like their children

Simply amazing. I will come back next year with a few friends.

Ibu Wayan, terima kasih sudah menjaga saya. Semoga bisa ketemu Ibu sering-sering. Saya pasti kembali.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank danzablue
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We were very lucky to find this hotel in the heart of ubud. The nature surrounding the hotel is really peaceful. Bedrooms are very clean and the bed very comfortable. Lat but not lest : the staff is wonderful you feel like visiting family members
Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Lilijane21
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The owner Wayan was lovely. The rooms were clean and well furnished. The place was a little hard to find (the map on trip advisor is wrong). Tell taxi drivers it's near sari organic and they sometimes find it!
The place was definitely a home from home with wayan really caring for her guests.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are airy and fresh (but no aircon). Downstairs rooms have less of a view, but air...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you are looking for a home away from home this is it. Wayan and her family were very warm and welcoming. Her husband picked us up from the airport which was very convenient. The place is tucked away from the main street and is a wonderful walk through the rice fields. The rooms were modern, clean and free of bugs. The room was air conditioned and the bath room had a nice jungle view.

Wayan will make sure that you do not go hungry she made us delicious white mango milkshakes, beautiful breakfast which included local fruits and local delicacies like pandan pancake and black rice pudding. She also cooked us an amazing lunch on our last day. She also took care of laundry for us while we were away. It was $12 for 2 weeks worth of laundry which was amazing!

Room Tip: Get the room on the ground floor if you want air conditioning.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are looking for high-tech amenities, this is not a place for you. Mulawarman is a great place for relaxing. It's tucked away between the paddy fields. What made our stay beautiful is the exceptional service at Mulawarman- Ibu Wayan treats you like a family member and goes above and beyond to service you. I recommend this place to anyone who wants to have restful vacation on which they are well taken care of. I am definitely going to return:)
Thank you for making my stay so special, Ibu Wayan- Being able to wake up and ask for whatever you want for breakfast while being suprised with organic juices by Ibu Wayan felt like going back to my grandmother's place:) - Dipti

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dipti_Cheerath
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Mulawarman is a great guesthouse in Ubud, hidden in the jungle but also close (5 minute walk) to the city center. Wayan, the owner, is a very friendly lady and her staff is amazingly helpful. The rooms are modern & clean, the breakfast is local & tasteful, the service is friendly and easy going. Wayan and her staff were very helpful arranging motorbikes and bicycles. They even cooked for us on the last night and brought us to our next guesthouse, an hour dive away. We planned to stay two nights, but ended up five nights in this home-away-from-home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michael D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Abangan Bungalow
Gusti's Garden 2 Guest House
Kampoeng Joglo Abangan
Kampoeng Joglo Abangan
#121 of 571 in Ubud

Been to Mulawarman Ubud Bali? Share your experiences!