“Delicious and cheap”

Ranked #557 of 954 Restaurants in Ubud
Description: It's the only Vegan restaurant in the Ubud City Centre
Description: It's the only Vegan restaurant in the Ubud City Centre
Reviewed June 11, 2016 via mobile

We visited the vegan warung on a few occasions during our stay in Ubud! We loved it. The tofu/Tempe skewers were awesome and the sambal was to die for. Not too spicy. Very cheap and nice relaxed atmosphere. Would recommend.

Reviewed October 4, 2015 via mobile

We stumbled upon this small & cosy eatery with a menu featuring mushroom based dishes. The friendly owner and cook has pictures of the mushroom farm she owns on the walls and let me tell you, the photos on the menu do not do the food justice - these are delicious, home style dishes, full of flavour and not too oily. Imagine a vegan tapas-like experience: small servings but at very cheap prices, so you can sample a few things. Definitely worth a try and it was a nice change from having all tofu/tempeh based dishes. A must not only for mushroom lovers.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

Popped in for a late lunch during a torrential downpour on my first day in Ubud. The menu offers a really good selection of healthy meals for vegans. I think the food is organic from memory but you may want to check if that's important to you.

I noticed other diners drinking from fresh coconuts. I had a Bali coffee - black as they don't offer a non-dairy milk which surprised me in a vegan place - and a tofu and vegetable soup. The coffee was good and the soup was HUGE, fairly tasty but too watery for my taste. I wanted the cacao & coconut ice cream they had advertised but they didn't have any.

Although the artwork and wall hangings are pretty and spiritual, and they were playing beautiful chants on a CD player (which was lovely) the place lacked any atmosphere, and the service was impersonal and somehow uncomfortable (although I can't quite put my finger on why).

The bathroom isn't great - you've to go through a stiff door, outside, up some steps (that are a slipping accident waiting to happen when it's raining) but it's a Western-style loo so it's not all too scary when you get there. ;)

Would I recommend it? I wouldn't NOT recommend it, I wouldn't say don't go if you're nearby, but I wouldn't say you should go out of your way to visit unless you're a strict vegan struggling to find healthy choices at a decent price and that's more important to you than atmosphere, in which case it's ideal for you.

Reviewed September 4, 2014

We went to this place thinking it is a heaven for vegetarians but we were proved wrong. They only have nasi campur and nasi campur complete(which means it has tofu). I thought nasi campur comes with tofu. The portions were too small and the food was expensive for the size.
We were the only too people in the warung but it took more 30 minutes to get our food.
There far many local warungs which have cheaper food with more vegetarians options.
It is a tourist trap.

3  Thank lobertsaze
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The satay is EXCELLENT!!!

We ordered a second serving after the first was wiped out in the blink of an eye. Even the rest of my family who are non-veg also enjoyed this dish.

The charred bits, the flavor and texture is like the real thing. We were told it's made from mushroom.

I'm so missing the satay now as I've not found another as good alternative from where I come from.

The dumpling soup is also good. My girl likes it as much as I do.

A must go for all veg & non-veg!!!

Been to Bali Vegan Warung? Share your experiences!