“Ubuds best kept secret!”

Gerhana Sari 2 Hotel
Ranked #10 of 554 Ubud B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Ubuds best kept secret!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Ubud for 4 days. Three days in a expensive hotel and the last night we stayed in gerhana sari 2. We didnt know what to expect but we were blown away by its quality.

Best value for money ever! Clean rooms, helpfull staff, aircon and a nice view over a hidden rice field in de middle of ubud centre!

It is hard to find if you walk down monkey forest road but ask your taxi driver or someone form Ubud and enjoy your stay!
It is near the three monkeys.

Highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The place is lovely, the rooms are clean, the breakfast is very good, especially the omelette.

But most important, Made and Wayan, the 2 brothers taking care of the business, were extremely helpful, so nice and always smiling.

My mother and I had an issue with our credit card. The day we had to pay for our stay, we couldn't get any money from every ATM in Ubud (we tried to withdraw cash in almost 20 of them). Made took me on his bike to other ATMs a bit further from the B&B, just to be sure it was a card issue and not the ATM. Then they cancelled for us the trip to the Gilis (Wayan had taken car of the whole organization of the trip at very interesting rate) we were supposed to go on next morning at 7am. Thanks to a friend we got money via Western Union at 9 am the morning we were supposed to go to the Gilis (Made had once again driven me there).
Made and Wayan were very calm and confident during this crisis and we thank them for it.

I can only recommend this place, it's a piece of heaven ! We were very sad to leave

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Justine_Singapore
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place is amazing. I stayed in 5 places in Indonesia and this place is far above all the other places I stayed. This is due in large part to Wayan and Made, who were really helpful and accommodating during my stay.

This is the best place I stayed in all of Indonesia during my 10-day vacation there. Wayne and Made are amazing. They were really accommodating and helpful. They made me breakfast and coffee everything a morning, helped me plan activities for day, and checked up on me in the evening to make sure that I had a good day.

Plus the five of the place is relaxing, social if you want it to be, and peaceful.

I’ll list three examples of Wayan and Made going above and beyond normal innkeeper duties to help me.

First, I wanted to go on day trips in Bali. It was expensive to rent out a car for myself. So Wayan checked with the other hotel guests to see if they wanted to go – to help defray the cost. He found another guest that wanted to go and paired me up with her. I clicked with her that day and we remain good friends today.

Second, I wanted to see a traditional Balinese dance performance. Wayan showed me the calendar of all the dance performances for that night and recommended the best one to me. Unfortunately, the show started thirty minutes later I could not walk to the theater and make it on time. So Wayan gave me a ride on his motorbike to the theatre. Instead of walking for 30 minutes, I rode on a motorbike for 10 minutes and made it to the show early.

Third, I like the place so much that when I got to Kuta, I recommended the homestay to everybody that I encountered there. I later learned that my friend stayed at the homestay. She too testified that Wayne and made were especially helpful. She told me that she wanted to do a day trip of Bali, but it was late in the day and all the tours have departed. So Wayan gave her a motorbike ride to the marketplace, help her find a day driver, waited for her, not leave until he got into the car safely. I was so happy to hear this hospitality.

The friends on that I made at Gerhana Sari 2 still talk about this place today. The hosts went above and beyond their duty to make us feel at home. It was like having a personal concierge service on top of nice homestay. I stayed at 4 other places in Indonesia at double and triple the price I stayed at Gerhana Sari. But the value and the experience of this place tops the rest.

There are dozens of other testimonials I can give about Wayan and Made (them teaching me Balinese culture, chatting in the evenings, recommending everything from cafes to walks, helping me rearrange my plans when boats were cancelled, etc.). There are too many to go into detail here.

I highly recommend this place. The facilities are nice and the rice field scenery around the homestay is beautiful. But Wayne and Made this homestay experience my best ever. You will not regret saying here. I highly recommend Gerhana Sari 2.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank patma1015
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

What a lovely place!
Perfect location and great staff.

Even though it says when you book it that they dont serve breakfast, they do.
We told them before we went to bed what time we would like it, and the following morning they would serve it to us on our balcony.

We were only going to stay for 2 nights but ended up staying longer. We would have stayed even longer if it wasnt because they were fully booked.

Clean and tidy. Loved it
Perfect location!
A bit noisy some nights from the bar with live music across the street, apart from that, perfect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hannaoo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

This really is the nicest place I have stayed at not only in Ubud but in general!
The two young brothers run it with so much love & enthusiasm, keeping it spotlessly clean and looking after their guests with so much care & attention.
I stayed there for 2.5 weeks and felt like I was at home basically. They helped me with any information I needed, organised booking a trip for me, always friendly & ready to help - the kindest, most gentle people I've ever had the privilege to stay with.

They offer a lovely breakfast, which is brought to your front porch & they make the nicest omletes ever!! You must try them.
And they'd go to the fruit market every day at 6am so they can always offer fresh fruit to their guests & when I moved from a room on the 1st floor to the ground floor, I was bit scared of the little ghekos outside (which are absolutely everywhere here) & they immediately organised to put some nets on the few ornated little windows, so I can feel comfortable & now I've been in Ubud for nearly a month, I know no one in Bali does this for you as ghekos are believed to bring luck & nobody really cares that you're scared of them.

The location is also prefect, right next to nice restaurants (lots to choose from), if you go for yoga, like me, the yoga barn is only 10mins walk. I would recommend the two rooms on the upper floor but the only difference is the view basically, they are all nice. And because the place is at the end of a little alleyway, it's peaceful & quiet.

I also want to mention that this is the best place if you are solo traveller as then you never really feel alone when you get back, you are well looked after and there's always a friendly face for a little chat should you want it, even if you get back late. Thank you guys for a wonderful stay - I can't wait to be back!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank G_ergana2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed here with 2 friends in September and the place is amazing. The owner met us at the main road even though we arrived at midnight and had tea ready for us upon arrival. the breakfast, which was unexpected, was fantastic, and the rooms were very spacious, clean and secure. The location was fantastic, on the main area in Ubud and close to the monkey sanctuary. The staff were so friendly and accommodating and the atmosphere was brilliant. Couldn't recommend this place enough, especially at the bargain price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

This is a small place, with personalized treatement to it's guests. In monkey forest street, on a small street on the right, you'll find a beautifull garden, with a small building far from the noise of the main street. Our room was very big (more than enough for a couple), with good bathroom and hot water. No AC but a very good fan on the ceiling is more than enough.
The breakfast is served on the balcony, outside, and you can just choose from omelete, pancacke and jafle (banana toast). It's not much but it's a family based business, and only two people doing all the work (cooking, cleaning). Eventhough, there' always available hot water for tea or coffee.
They also suply during the night mosquito repelent and incense for the balcony.
Everything is always clean, the guys are very very nice and friendly, and our stay was very very good. I would comeback anytime, you're in center Ubud and you don't even realize it, when you want to sleep.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple