“Serene Beauty”

Ranked #108 of 543 Ubud B&B and Inns
Montecito, California
“Serene Beauty”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed at VM for 1wk on a family vacation. Everything was wonderful. Loved Nurde's cooking. Yummy. Ideal location we were able to walk into town. I liked how the property was tucked in from the street. The staff at Villa Madu made us feel very at home. Would definitely like to return. Wish the hot tub would have been working. But overall my family had a great time. Thank you Adrienne, Nurde, and everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MARQ T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Perth
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here with 5 female friends over a four day break. The property is stunning and the photographs don't quite capture its scale which is extensive. At night you could hear the river running in the valley below. The main house is be beautifully appointed and has all you would want for a comfortable stay. Staff are wonderful and the two friendly pet dogs add to the homely feel. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cindy B
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The setting was perfect with lush gardens and a jungle outlook. You really could be in the middle of nowhere except that you are actually quite close to the centre of Ubud. The staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble but they were also unobtrusive. The little details of the koi ponds, the furnishings and the artworks really made it a special place to stay. The cooked breakfasts were unique each morning and featured freshly squeezed juice and fresh fruit platters. The pool was spectacular and the Balinese feast with a traditional meal, musicians and dancers was an absolute must. We had quite a large group, six of us for the first three nights then ten of us on the last night and we never felt crowded. Could not praise this villa highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jenny D
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Villa Madu is idyllic. It has large open spaces and comfortable furniture. The grounds and pool are relaxing and the perfect place to come back to after sightseeing or shopping. It is within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants and bars. There were only two of us so the house was a little outsized for us but we made the best of it. Seven of us are visiting in September and I can't wait for the other five to see firsthand why we raved about it. The staff is delightful and the cooking is extraordinary. I wholeheartedly recommend staying there.
Tracy Rickett

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tracy R
San Rafael, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Villa Madu. Excellent service, with delicious meals, and such a wonderful staff. We are planning our next trip, and will include this stop on our holiday. It is a bit of paradise, that I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience.......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Lisa O
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I haven't traveled outside the U.S. since 1988, so when I decided to pack my suitcase for the first time in 25-plus years, I wanted it to be someplace beautiful and completely different. I was a little hesitant about Bali, only because Julia Roberts popularized the whole Eat-Pray-Love business, but decided I shouldn't be close-minded about an entire country and culture based on a celebrity endorsement. Villa Madu came up on one of my web-searches, and after a long and very pleasant phone conversation with Adrienne, the property owner and manager, I decided it was worth a try. I spent two weeks in one of the cabins on the grounds, a perfect size for me, a single traveler. The atmosphere and the staff couldn't have been more ideal and accommodating; I really did not feel like I was staying at a hotel at all but with very good friends. By the time I left, I was attached to everyone there; it felt like leaving a part of my own family! I could fill pages and pages with a travelogue of Bali, but you can discover how beautiful and interesting it is on your own. The point of my writing this is to tell you my experience at Villa Madu, which couldn't have been a better venue to enjoy another country from. I not only felt safe there, but very much at home, and the warmth of the staff made my experience a much more emotional, deeper one than had I stayed at a regular tourist's hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Beckett G
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have seen many lovely villas in Ubud, but for me, this is one of the top choices in the area for a comfortable, eco-friendly, and safe stay. I recently spent the night with a group of friends from the US. This villa is built in a lovely "normal" neighborhood, in a very sustainable way, and the villa has good eco friendly practices such as providing water from the large refillable bottles instead of single use bottles. The large house itself has plenty of wood and greenery, a large screen tv, large bedrooms with antiques everywhere, a huge kitchen, lovely pool overlooking the jungle, and most importantly to me...cozy seating for a large gathering that is not in the sun! Also, the living room can be open or closed, and that is a huge thing because many villas are only in the "open" style which lends itself to lots of bugs and things...

The staff are super friendly, obviously love their jobs and are very confident in their competence...(not the obsequiousness you sometimes see in other villas) . Plus, the breakfast here was better than any restaurant in Ubud... At night we had a special dance and music performance with young Balinese and that was super sweet.

Also, there is no fitness center, but the Ubud Ftiness center is right at the end of the street, about a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank MangoMunky
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ubud
Komaneka at Bisma
Kano Sari Ubud Villas
KoenoKoeni Villa
KoenoKoeni Villa
#8 of 415 in Seminyak

Been to Villa Madu? Share your experiences!