“Totally Overpriced - Ruined my trip in Ubud”
Review of Nick's Pension

Nick's Pension
Ranked #67 of 612 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I booked this place before I went to Bali as I was really impressed by the photos and how pretty the grounds looked. I received a confirmation email from Nick's Pension directly thanking me for booking and telling me they had reserved me a double room with a four poster bed and mosquito net. When I arrived I was given a twin room (two single beds), the room smelt and felt of damp and the sheets had stains on them and continued to do so even when changed. I asked if I could have a double room as requested and they told me they didn't have one available. I had a lot planned so I just thought I would make do with room and enjoy my time in Ubud. The day before I was due to check out I asked to extend my stay and they said the only room they had available was three times as much as I was already paying. I decided to check out and go somewhere else, I then complained to the Manager about the state of the room and the fact it was not what I had booked, he then said I could move to a double room for two nights for no extra charge than that which I was initially quoted. The room I moved to was lovely, very basic but clean, airy and had a good bed. When I checked out I found out I had been charged for all nights, when I asked why I had not been given a discount as promised I was told that was the discount and the room I had been in last costs more than the first room ... even though it was the room I had originally booked! Totally overpriced and unorganised, I spent the best part of a day trying to sort out my room situation, didn't get time to enjoy the surroundings and was very unhappy with my stay when I left.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank amyW954
Ian_Day, Owner at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

“Thank you for sharing your review on trip advisor,

We are a local owned cottages, a community based tourism and practice the Balinese Genius Life Concept TRI HITA KARANA, to live in harmony with God, People and Environment. Since the opening we have committed to deliver an efficient and effective service from deep our heart. We regret to hear that it happened to you, We would therefore do apologize for an inconvenient caused.

We do understand that everyone is freely write their experience on trip advisor, and I do believe its come up with a spirit to encouraging for a better future.
We take note your comment regarding room our staff allocated on twin bedded as there is no mention on your booking made online. We are try to change you to double bed, however our occupancy seem on maximum capacity on these period for some group stay. Extended stay was offer with same rate as made through online. Our pricing is dynamic through online and we do agree to offer last rate as previous booking.

We would be very happy if you could give us a chance to develop and accommodate with us on future holiday.”

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Tucked away between Jalan Bisma and Money Forest Road, this place has to have the best location in Ubud. The food was great and cheap and we ate here quite often. The service was amazing even on one night when the power went out in the restaurant and other parts of Ubud. Our waitress had the generater up and running in under 20 seconds. We had a Superior Room overlooking the river and close to Monkey Forest Road. The room was clean with simple furnishings (no television). The air-con, fan and wifi worked well. The beds were big with a queen and a king single but sadly the mattress was only foam with little back support. The gardens and the rice paddy were the best I have seen in Bali. The staff take great pride in their work. The checkin was fast, friendly and informative. We received a cold drink on arrival Housekeeping staff were fast with an eye for detail. I saw the deluxe rooms while I was there and if you want extras I would suggest these rooms. The pool was always clean and inviting. We probably spent most of our time there on the balcony overlooking the river. I would return there in a heartbeat

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank joeyjoeo
Ian_Day, Manager at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity of being of service to you during your recent visit to Bali and look forward to welcoming you back to Nick's Pension Ubud, Bali in the near future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Super affordable rooms surrounded by stone paths through lush tropical gardens, rice paddies, and a river. Our room was in the back by the river. No AC in this particular room, but we did not need it for our time of year. Super quiet, clean, no insects, and the bridge over the river allowed us a 5 min short cut to the main Ubud downtown with open market at one end of the street and Monkey Forest at the other.

The pool was clean and refreshing and every morning we awoke to find a fresh pot of hot water and tea had been set out on our veranda. It was pure pleasure to drink tea and watch the river and the daily morning incense and flower offering delivered to a statue in the garden.

Room Tip: It sounds like there is a great variety in the types of rooms. We stayed in the main hotel area behi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rain B
Ian_Day, Owner at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at nicks pension in May with my husband and kids for 1 week. absolutely love the place.My husband and I went back at the end of August for 5 days to catch up with the lovely people and staff that we have made friends with. The location is great ,rooms affordable clean and pool excellent. Love the great gardens and peaceful location. Great restaurant. we will be back next year for sure. Nielsen Family

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ian_Day, Owner at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Nick's pension is a very nice place,situated in a quiet street near rice paddys and 5mn from Ubud center. They have different kind of rooms and the super deluxe are very nice and affordable. Breakfast was ok and the swimming pool is clean. Nice garden and rooms with terrasse. Trip agency at the entrance of the hotel with reasonable prices.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Fhinn
Ian_Day, Owner at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Nick's Pension Ubud, Bali..

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in many hotels in and around Ubud, but Nick's is our absolute favourite. The location is fantastic and you would never believe you are in the middle of Ubud. One entrance leads into the busy centre itself while the other is a gateway to the beautiful paddyfields. The hotel is beautifully maintained with a brand new restaurant and a sparkling pool. breakfasts are simple but tasty and the staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful. I write this after our 15th visit, and hopefully there will be many more to come. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TTD1

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This pension is located on a street that has no lights at night, so if you have a few drinks better watch out for the stairs or bring a flashlight with you! The room...well, we paid a little extra for the air conditioner and it was noisy and not working properly ($ wasted right there). The ac went off in the middle of the night and we had to basically hit it to start again throughout the night. The bed was really uncomfortable and old and noisy! The bathroom smelled like wet towel and was not really clean. The only good thing about this place: There is green everywhere that gives you the feeling that you are in the forest far from civilization. Their breakfast is really good, and if you don't mind spending a little extra, try their homemade yogurt with granola and fruits!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PandPfromNY
Ian_Day, Pemilik at Nick's Pension, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to commented on TripAdvisor.
I'm so sorry for inconvenience your stay with us. Hopefully we will give you a good service in the near future