“In the middle” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 520 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“In the middle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was not enamored with Nick's Pension. It wasn't terrible nor was it great. It fell flat in the middle. The setting is lovely, but the room not so much. I wasn't in love with the staff either. I believe for the money there are better bargains to be had particularly here in Ubud where creativity rules.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

It was OK, but I wouldn't return. Quite a picturesque setting on the bank of a stream in the forest. Room was OK. The staff were a bit of a deterrent for me, to be honest. Hard to describe but after staying in small boutique inns where they felt comfortably family-run, Nick's seem to have a big-hotel attitude, just a little aloof, despite being a fairly small operation. Uniforms, etc.

One day I went up to the pool and was trying to relax amidst ongoing poolside construction. One of the construction workers actually asked me to leave, they had to move some large pieces of materials through the guest area. That was it. I went to my room, packed my bag and went across the river to Igna where I was treated like a true guest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

The buildings and surrounding rice patties are beautiful. The staff are ok with a few nicer exceptions. There is a minah bird near the front desk that I felt very sorry for and was tempted to release. The inside of the rooms are not great for the price. The floor was littered with dead gnats-I didn't tell them though because I didn't wan't poison in my room. I payed 40 usd and was told by others I could have gotten something similar for far less. However, I was quite tired of carrying around all my bags of swimming gear etc. at the end of my trip and really loved the location. There are fireflies at night and the hotel is close to monkey forest, all the shops and cafes, and in the other direction the rice paddies.

Room Tip: If you get a double room you might wan't to request a single-mine was a lot more attractive and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for a week with our two and four year old toddlers. Our room was large and the balcony was nice (if a bit too hot in the full morning sun). When we didn't want to have breakfast by the river they delivered to our room. The pool was warm and had a great spot for the kids to splash around in. Hagus organized our bike tour, car tour and beach day. The back path goes right into the heart of town and you can walk to the monkey forest in 15 min. There are a lot of restaurants nearby for lunch and dinner and plenty of shopping to keep you busy.
When their restaurant renovation is complete it will be even better. The beds were a little stiff but not too bad. The pebbles in the shower were annoying though.
Stay here and you can be in a peaceful setting that's walking distance from the action.

Room Tip: Super Deluxe had a King and a Double bed and fit our two toddlers nicely.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Batikh
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My friend's and I stayed at Nick's Pension for 3 nights. I had a slight change in flight plans and arrived late/early morning. I was told that they would find a place for me to stay but did not mention that I would be charged a full nights rate when I only slept there for about 3 hours. Had I had known I would've waited till the next day to check-in. They also did not ask if I would like the room. Besides that annoying fact, the setting Nick's is beautiful and has a sense of whimsical charm. Some of the staff were friendly. There are two information desks that can help with day excursion or boat trips etc. We stumbled across the smaller desk which is on the river bank. They were a lot friendlier and gave us a cheaper rate for our boat to Gili. That being said when the main desk realised that we did not book with them they were rather rude and stand-offish.

The room was very rustic and had a bit of a funky smell. The bathrooms could do with a renovation. Breakfast was simple just enough to keep you going for the morning. The location is great, close enough to everything without being stuck in the busy city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelbug608
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We loved this place, even ended up staying an extra night. We had originally asked for a standard fan room thinking in Ubud we wouldn't need A/C, but we were wrong. They let us upgrade to A/C that first night without penalty. Our room felt like its own bungalow even though there was someone above us, they had an entrance around back so it still felt private. The whole place is situated around a rice paddy, secluded and peaceful yet somehow just a minute walk to the main road. The location really was amazing. The staff treated us mostly well, except for the guy who sort of scammed us when we bought tickets to Gili. Just make sure to ask several people, don't trust someone just because he works at your hotel and says it's the best deal around. He just wasn't clear about prices, that's all. Other than that though, this place was awesome. Nice pool, nice breakfast by the creek, frogs everywhere.. and the room was very clean and had a mosquito net. The name does not do this place justice.

Room Tip: Get A/C! You won't regret it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Poznan, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

The rooom was very clean and comfy. The location is simply gorgeous! You are living surrounded by rice fields and you can see ducks going around those fields in the morning. The breakfast was okay, but nothing extraordinary. Breakfast tables were placed directly on the ground so there were a lot of ants around. It was quiet in the evening but close to the center of Ubud and other attractions. Each morning we have received a fresh pot of tea on our terrace which is so cool. I almost forgot about the talking bird in the reception which imitates dog, duck, thai talking and brake whistle :) Highly recommended and great value for money!

Room Tip: Probably an upstairs room gives you more privacy as people walking around can't see through wind...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple