Citrus Tree Villas - Mai Malu
$114
$788
$674
Agoda.com
Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa(Peliatan)(Great Value!)
$84
$445
$273
$139
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 2, 2012

we entered Mai Malu home stay after discovering another place on the same street we wanted to stay at - was fully booked. we found a clean, serene and pleasant traditional Balinese family home, very clean room and shower, hot water, good breakfast and payed half the price the other place charged.
location is great - near everything in center of Ubud and still - quiet and private.
the place is perfect for travelers on a budget who still won't compromise for cleanliness and comfort.
oh, and for a bonus, right next to Mai Malu there's a good restaurant with good, not expensive food and excellent service.
would definitely come back again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank shirleyEven14
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Found this place out of luck. Very nice rooms with fan and nice bathroom. New construction...I stayed upstairs in one of the very new rooms. Quiet setting away from the bustle, but only a 2-3 minute walk to all of the busy areas. Initially, only planned to plant myself here for one night and search around. However, was so comfortable I stayed 8 nights...good value as I paid 200,000 rupiah per night for the room. Probably could have negotiated a better price - but happy with the value. Putu's (the proprietor) family has a money changing business in town and she was gracious enough to exchange USD for Rupiahs for me at a very good rate at the homestay - nice not to have to deal with the money changing issues in town. Her son, who is around 2 years old is a kick to watch in action. Several great warungs across and next door. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a nice, quiet, clean place that is centrally located in Ubud.

No pool or room service, but they have cold Bintang (15,000 rupiah small, 25,000 rupiah large) and large cold bottled water (5,000 rupiah). Honor system on the drinks. Breakfast is included.

Room Tip: I loved the center room upstairs. King bed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Duarf
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed at Mai Malu for 5 nights and real ly enjoyed it. The place is inside a local home family and there is not much fancy about it, no pool, rice views, etc. What it made me stay here was the nice an new rooms, the bed and mattress was great and super clean,nice lamp and decor, simple but in new conditions, the bath was also big and new, you can see the owners really put the extra bucks to get some decent amenities. I had checked other home stays in the center of ubud and for my taste they all look dark,old and with not feeling of taking a nap there. So at Mai I had a chance to check out one room before booking it and as soon as I step inside I had no question this was a good place, so i stayed 5 nights and slept like a baby. Another huge plus is the location, is in a small street right in the center of ubud but fat enough from the crazy monkey street. I could walk fro breakfast lunch and dinner to many places close by, by the way I extremely recommend the Nomads restaurant
Just a few meters away, I dined there every day and I still missed it. Mai Malu price is about $20 dlls a night a good deal. I recommend it and will be stay here next time im in ubud. Enjoy

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Karuno
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Note: while I was there it was under construction an if I had to guess it will be for another month or two. They are adding a second level.

Place is fantastic even given the noise in the morning. There is a great little courtyard and koi pond, song birds and a very nice family.

Free wifi, hot water and some of the most comfortable beds I've slept on in over a year of traveling Asia! It's very clean as its very newly renovated on the bottom and as mentioned the upstairs will be brand new soon.

They do a simple breakfast included in the price. Rooms are different sizes and are priced According to size. My only hope is that the price doesn't go up when the construction is over.

Fantastic location on a small middle street. It's very quiet and there are great restrauants and Cafes only a few steps away. Walking to the popular tourist attraction monkey forest will take you fifteen minutes Max.

Tosca gelato is the best and it's just around the corner across from nomads. Kismet has excellent coffee on the corner second level. And melting wok right next door is one of the most popular places to eat in town. Make reservations if you want to dine there.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Weeble W
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A wonderful, welcoming, nice family. The grounds are clean as was the room. The room was spacious and surprisingly dry for ubud. I would rate this a 5 on everything but- I had to ask for a towel and scrounge up toilet paper, as it was not offered. And I stayed for 8 days, but there was no offer to clean the room even one time. I thought it was just me but the neighbors all said the same. So if you expect that your room will be cleaned even every three days or once a week, this is not the case.
At the time of my stay, rooms for 1 person were 150000. Putu, who is a good and funny, kind person, said that there was construction but not above my room because they were now one floor up But 8-4pm everyday, hammers literally above my head. Luckily i had plans during these times :) One day when i was going to relax a bit on the porch, there was so much dust I had to leave. At the end of my stay, the family said she was gone for the day, but when I asked for a discount she appeared from her room and was very polite and nice of course but unyielding.
The breakfast is good, the hosts very nice, the rooms and grounds clean, it is very central on a quieter street though in the center of ubud, rooms not musty, good fan and hot water and wifi. But if there is construction, don't go here if you want any daytime peace.

• Stayed: May 2012