“Went out of their way to help”
Review of Mathis Retreat

Mathis Retreat
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I, along with another couple recently stayed at Kenanga Boutique Bungalows - mid May, 2013, and were very impressed with everything about this lovely accommodation in Ubud. We agree with all the previous reviews. It really was a lovely sanctuary to retreat to after the daily whirl of sightseeing etc in Bali.
Even after we left, the staff continued to assist us. I left a power adapter in the room and was resigned to losing it but then decided to email them to see if perhaps, if found, the article could be posted on to another Bali hotel we would be staying at.
Wihtout any problems, I received the adapter promptly 2 days later.
Thank you again for a wonderful stay and the follow up required to reunite me with my indispensable power adapter.

Room Tip: We loved the bungalows quite close to the restaurant and pool - bungalows 5 and 6 - very private due...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PatDC848

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We are just finishing a fabulous couple of nights at the Kenanga Boutique Hotel. It offered everything one could ask for on a romantic getaway. The rooms are impeccably decorated, the service is outstanding yet completely unobtrusive, and the food at their Terracotta restaurant is delicious. We enjoyed the spa, the pool and many iced mint teas.

There were a couple of families with small kids there at the same time and the hotel seemed to accommodate them very well. We left our primary school aged kids at home (adds to the romance), but I think they would have been looking for something to do quickly after exhausting the pool. However, the hotel offers transport into Ubud during the day where there is plenty to entertain.

We'll be looking forward to coming back to this tranquil spot. It's been a blissful stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed four nights at the Kenanga recently. The large infinity pool overlooks the rice fields and is very tranquil. The rooms are great and the staff were very helpful. We received a complimentary full Bali massage upon arrival and complimentary afternoon tea each day while we were there. The food in the restaurant 'Terracotta' was excellent but a word of advise, dont take your own wine to the restaurant, corkage was 146,000 rupee which we thought was a little extreme.
Overall the stay there was a very relaxing experience.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I knew we had picked the right hotel as soon as we arrived. The staff greeted us warmly and we were impressed with the quiet ambience. After our welcome drink staff lead us to our beautiful bungalow. The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We had dinner at the restaurant which has a beautiful view of the rice fields.

Staff are friendly and always on for a chat. The pool is fantastic. We were very happy with the location which is a 5-10 minute drive out of Ubud town. Free hourly shuttles run from the hotel so this was never a problem. We also walked one day which was a fantastic walk and took 35 minutes. It's was nice to have time in town or on an excursion then escape back to the peacefulness of Kenanga.

We loved it and will return!

Room Tip: The bungalows have their own little garden and are closer to the pool and restaurant. The other room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mezHK
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I think Kenanga is one of the best hotels in Bali.

The hotel is easy to find, because their entrance can be easily seen from Ubud's main road. As soon as I get to the lobby, I was fell in love with the view. I can actually see vast lush green rice fields, as if i'm transferred into one of the secluded areas of Bali.

My husband and I had the room just in front of the pool. Everything about the room was excellent, especially if you're a newlywed like us. It's spacious, tidy, clean and very cozy. I love the little details and the touch of Indonesia culture here and there. I must admit that I personally love to their bath products: the shampoo, conditioner, soap, hand wash, bath salt.. the scent is amazing!

Take your time as well to take a dip at the swimming pool, overlooking the rice fields.. You may think that you're in Bali heaven already. I saw ducks wandering around the rice fields, some farmers, and if you are lucky, maybe you can see whey harvest the rice.

Their breakfast is small (not a buffet) but it was simply the best hotel breakfast I ever had. The juices are fresh and had no added sugar, the coffee is good. The one thing I love were their jams, we had mango and banana in little jars!

All and all, I had a wonderful experience at Kenangan and I would love to go back there again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was reviewing hotels online and considered Kenanga as I was after a quiet retreat. It is situated on a rice paddy farm and is about 5minutes away from the hustle and bustle of main ubud town centre. I came across a SCOOPON deal and booked it with some reservations as I had not bought an overseas hotel voucher from a deals company before. However, it was a very good deal - massage, wifi, private villa/room to myself overlooking the pool and rice fields.

The room decor was traditional bali style with a very romantic looking and big bathtub. They didn't offer any bath bubbles so I bought my own and it was very relaxing being in the tub. They provided four bottled water for brushing teeth etc and four drinking water per day. They did a morning tidy up and a down turn service. They also serve delicious morning and afternoon complimentary tea snacks. These were lovingly decorated (I had a white chocolate truffle shaped in a turtle) and left on your tableside if you were not in your room. After the massage I was provided with a sarong which the lovely masseuse tied for me. I was then provided with a drink and fruit kebab snack after the massage which was delivered to my room.

As it was a relaxing holiday I spent the first few days ordering lunch and dinner from the hotel. The food was small portioned but tasted nice. I esp recommend their curries! Their breakfast was GREAT! All you can eat but a la carte ordering style. They also make fresh juices.

The service was fantastic. They went above and beyond to help with everything and was friendly but not intrusive. They always waved and said hello when they saw you and would always stop by to have a chat with you. The restaurant staff and the reception staff remembered my name and the tours I planned to go on and would ask me about it. VERY LOVELY.

They also have a complimentary bus/car service that takes from to and from the hotel to the town centre. However this service stopped at 5pm or 7pm and after that it was a moderate fee to call them to take it back.

Overall a very good place to stay and somewhere that I have raved on and recommended to others.

Thank you for a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bungalow/villa room that faces the swimming pool and rice paddy. It also has your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel is located somewhat on the far side of Ubud, and is barely walkable (expext 25-30 minutes) to the centre of Ubud, but this is not a problem at all. Hotel offers complimentary shuutle every hour to and from Ubud, and surroundings of the villas are beautiful : rice paddies.
Rooms are large, very nice traditional decor, big bathroom, all very clean and modern. terra Cotta restaurant is fine, but we've seen better, nice breakfast though. Service staff is very friendly and helpful, overall very relaxing and calm place to stay in Ubud.