“ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!! Beautiful views, Great Service”
Review of Mathis Retreat

Mathis Retreat
Ranked #35 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was reviewing hotels online and considered Kenanga as I was after a quiet retreat. It is situated on a rice paddy farm and is about 5minutes away from the hustle and bustle of main ubud town centre. I came across a SCOOPON deal and booked it with some reservations as I had not bought an overseas hotel voucher from a deals company before. However, it was a very good deal - massage, wifi, private villa/room to myself overlooking the pool and rice fields.

The room decor was traditional bali style with a very romantic looking and big bathtub. They didn't offer any bath bubbles so I bought my own and it was very relaxing being in the tub. They provided four bottled water for brushing teeth etc and four drinking water per day. They did a morning tidy up and a down turn service. They also serve delicious morning and afternoon complimentary tea snacks. These were lovingly decorated (I had a white chocolate truffle shaped in a turtle) and left on your tableside if you were not in your room. After the massage I was provided with a sarong which the lovely masseuse tied for me. I was then provided with a drink and fruit kebab snack after the massage which was delivered to my room.

As it was a relaxing holiday I spent the first few days ordering lunch and dinner from the hotel. The food was small portioned but tasted nice. I esp recommend their curries! Their breakfast was GREAT! All you can eat but a la carte ordering style. They also make fresh juices.

The service was fantastic. They went above and beyond to help with everything and was friendly but not intrusive. They always waved and said hello when they saw you and would always stop by to have a chat with you. The restaurant staff and the reception staff remembered my name and the tours I planned to go on and would ask me about it. VERY LOVELY.

They also have a complimentary bus/car service that takes from to and from the hotel to the town centre. However this service stopped at 5pm or 7pm and after that it was a moderate fee to call them to take it back.

Overall a very good place to stay and somewhere that I have raved on and recommended to others.

Thank you for a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bungalow/villa room that faces the swimming pool and rice paddy. It also has your...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mathis Retreat

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel is located somewhat on the far side of Ubud, and is barely walkable (expext 25-30 minutes) to the centre of Ubud, but this is not a problem at all. Hotel offers complimentary shuutle every hour to and from Ubud, and surroundings of the villas are beautiful : rice paddies.
Rooms are large, very nice traditional decor, big bathroom, all very clean and modern. terra Cotta restaurant is fine, but we've seen better, nice breakfast though. Service staff is very friendly and helpful, overall very relaxing and calm place to stay in Ubud.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed her for our last few days in Bali.
Kenanga is in a beautiful position looking out onto the rice paddies. It is a little out of town but the shuttle overcomes this. The rooms are beautifully set out clean and comfortable. Breakfast was complimentary and their was a great selection to choose from. Dinner overlooking the rice paddies was just lovely the meals were tasty and reasonably priced. The staff were friendly and courteous and really tried to make our stay as comfortable as Possible. The room we had builders working at the back and were very noisy early morning my husband mentioned this in passing. Whilst this was out of their control that evening we were moved to another room and which was quiet and privAte. . Sitting by the infinity pool overlooking the rice paddies was beautiful and the highlight of our stay. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 13, 2013

In the middle of the rice fields, away from the city (but walking distance to it), this new boutique hotel is the best place to rest. Good size of hotel, not too big, not crowded, the rooms are spacious and nicely decorated in a contemporary balinese style. The restaurant offers a variety of western and local dishes, all very good. The american breakfast is huge and so delicious, homemade jams, banana pancakes, etc... We loved the pool and the small SPA with beautiful view on the rice fields. The staff is really nice and professional. We'll return next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the rice fields.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marianne F
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I only can recomend this beautiful hotel with its wonderful big bungalows close to Ubud. The right place to recover after visiting the beautiful surroundings. The staff is extremely friendly and does what ever needed to make your saty pleasant. The Hotel has not to many bungalows/roos what makes it so cosy - overviewing the beautiful rice fields.
The restaurant is a must! We trieded nearly all menues - they all were outstanding. I recomend to try the cheese kake - it's a dream! The best kitchen we experienced in Bali.Try a massage in the spa of the hotel - it's a dream!

Room Tip: We had a bungalow facing the pool - room no. 8 - fantastic!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have stayed at Kenanga twice and will definitely come back for our next visit to Ubud. Everything from their beautiful, spotless rooms, the huge pool overlooking the exquisite Ubud rice paddies to their warm friendly staff is worth visiting. The rooms are cleaned even when we didn't ask for it and they are very generous at refilling everything from coffee, tea to towels!! The restaurant offers real gourmet food and you get what you pay for and more. (Try the gado-gado, Indonesian salad with peanut sauce and see what you'll get! I have never seen gado-gado served so uniquely and tasty too!) My husband and I were there with our 4 year old and the staff were very attentive and looking after her needs. And we also took trips around Ubud and the hotel assisted us in finding us a car with our own driver in 5 minutes!

Until next time Kenanga. In fact, see you very soon. We want to try the romantic dinner in the middle of your rice field:))).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and myself stayed at the Kenanga based on reviews on Tripadvisor and we couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel was all that was advertised and more. Our only disappointment wa that we had not booked for a longer stay. The grounds, setting, the rooms, the pool, the restaurant and the staff were all marvellous. All the employees went the extra mile to make our stay enjoyable. A special thanks to Putra and Wyan (I hope I spelled that right) from the restaurant! A double thumbs up!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple