“Fantasic”
Review of Mathis Retreat

Mathis Retreat
Ranked #28 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for six nights thanks to an unbelievably good deal from scoopon. The hotel is set amid beautiful rice paddies which gives the entire setting a tranquil and relaxing tone. Breakfast is made to order not some crappy buffet and was really lovely both taste wise and with respect to the setting.also the room is cleaned while you are eating. Hotel only one year old so room as well as being a generous size was also nice and new. I've travelled all over the world but never stayed at a hotel where the staff have been so genuinely friendly and helpful. Free shuttle into town was useful but transport is only $5 aus if you miss it.limited treatments at the spa but massages were wonderful. Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing peaceful getaway.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arna42

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Everything was beyond expectations! Great room, excellent breakfast, huge swimming pool, unbelievable ricefield view, the best massage of the island! If you want you can have wonderful romantic dinner in the middle of the ricefield... Don't hesitate, just go and experience it, I know I'll come back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Kenanga Boutique Hotel gave me a brand new experience living in a beautiful scenery of rice field. I've never stayed in such area. I picked Kenanga when I was browsing through Ubud most affordable place to stay. Kenanga gave me a good vibe and at the same time i was a bit worried because rice field area tend to have many night creatures. All I'm saying, If you are a nature person, Kenanga is a top notch!

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted very nicely and we were given a welcome drink like every other hotel. We headed to our room and Yes I was very happy with my room choice.

The bed is very comfortable I wished i could stay forever. As for the bathroom, They provided us with their quality soap, hand gel, shampoo, shower gel and conditioner. I love the scent and they even sell them. To the bad side, there were plenty of tiny ants in the bathroom. I've no idea how (no sweets etc) but they were just there lingering around the bathroom basin. I don't mind ants but in an appropriate places and definitely not the bathroom.

Food in the restaurant at Terracotta is good. We enjoyed our last day dinner and we ordered Rijsttafel, It was excellent. The Rijsttafel served for two but the rice was given were too small and basically, it was a 1 person rice serving. The bad point about this, we had to order another bowl of white rice and for that, we paid Rp.30.000. It is way too expensive for one white rice.

We rent a motorbike from Kenanga itself with the price of Rp.75,000. We had a deal that we were renting it for 1 full day. which means if we rent it at 4pm, we gonna return by 4pm the next day. The next day around 11.30am, we were shocked to know that our bike was taken by the agent without our acknowledgement. PLUS, we still HAD the key!!!

Kenanga receptionist could have let us know before allowing them to take the bike away. Because of that, we had to wait for more than 15 mins when we had appointment at 12pm somewhere. But the receptionist (i forgot her name) was very helpful and she was apologizing to us. She wasn't the one who talked to us about the 1 full day agreement and it was another receptionist (male). She managed to help us and get back the motorbike :).

All and All, I enjoyed my stay here and Wouldn't hesitate to even return again whenever I plan to stay in Ubud. I recommend this boutique hotel!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We loved Kenanga, wonderful and professional staff, the view is amazing, the pool area and the view from the pool is just fantastic, we had a fabulous stay. The best hotel breakfast we have ever had! We highly recommend Kenanga and cannot wait to return again.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the spa has the best view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sami8084
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I’ve been to Ubud for several times now, and for the first time i feel really at home going back to the hotel where i stay here in Kenanga.

A good friend recommended me this hotel and when I saw its website, saw the photos, I just instantly sold. I stayed there for almost a week and I felt really at ease. It’s a place where you just can chill easily. I took my scooter whenever I wanted to go to the centre of Ubud, it’s just 5 minutes away, perfect.

The accommodation is great, spacious, clean and comfy. The staffs are amazingly friendly and helpful (even everyday I got to talk to the general manager who’s been there frequently). I love to have breakfast and they served fresh and delicious food in the morning.

For sure I will be back to this hotel when I visit Ubud again in the future and I will proudly recommend this hotel to my friends and relatives as I want them to experience the great things they offer here as much as I did.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank fmochan
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I hardly ever post any comments/reviews (luckily for the hotels with bad experiences...), but after staying now 3 times at Kenanga, the least I can do is take a few minutes of my time to describe my experience.
Kenanga is a small resort with so much charme. I'm an hotelier myself and we are unfortunately... very demanding... But this boutique hotel is so well designed, set in an unbelievable landscape/views, so peaceful.
Rooms design is great, the pool facing the endless rice fields is so different from what you experience on Bali beaches... The staff is professional, but most of all, ready to help/assist you at any time, and with a big smile!
The food price is very reasonable and of good quality. You choose your breakfast from A-La-Carte, inclusive in the room price.
The Owner, a young french hotelier, is present, unlikely to a lot of small resorts where you never get to meet the Owner/GM and is attentive to your requests and advises you about the latest venues to visit or dine, not forcing you eat at his place.
Value for money, compare to the "big players" is no match.
Enjoy

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank roland1802
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We spent four nights during our stay in Bali. The room was big and very clean. Everything worked perfectly -shower hot, mini-bar beers cold, staff friendly and attentive. The view from the restaurant is simply spectacular. We took photos of the sunset every night. It's a pleasant half-hour walk from this peaceful setting to the Ubud town center, so we could feel isolated when we wanted, but easily get to the action as well. It's a little on the pricy side, but we had a fantastic time. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple