I stayed 1 night Christmas eve. I arrived too late for dinner so my review is based on my night's sleep and breakfast. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. My review is based on the following:
1) Very reasonable rate
2) VERY friendly staff (it was a loooong ride from the airport and the welcome took away any stress that I had felt)
3) Large room, good a/c
4) The grounds were very interesting to walk around
5) The included breakfast was fine (not large but adequate, American style, made to order eggs, fruit, breads)
Note: Internet access is only in the lobby. It's about an hour/hour and a half from the airport.
The hotel is comprised of a number of living units/bungalos which means you have to walk around the grounds to get to your room. I found it adventurous. The grounds are very exotic and your feel like you are in another place. I've seen reviews where people found it difficult to shlep their bags. It is difficult, but then again the staff took my bags so it didn't bother me.
I took away 1 star because the grounds are near the road and there was some noise. However, I didn't hear anything until the morning. And, I did hear bugs and birds at night, but it is a tropical island; not sure what other reviewers expect. If you are a restless sleeper you may not like it, but I didn't find any noise to be unreasonable and I slept very well (it was my 3rd night in Asia so most jet lag was gone)
Booking: I reserved via Booking.com.
Tip: When I made my booking, other travel sites indicated no room. Booking.com apparently had an allotment with 1 room left which other sites couldn't show. Always check multiple sites.
Tip: To take a taxi from the airport, make sure you go to the stand outside the airport, but against the building, and prepay (~US$22 but I tipped an extra US$5 since it was late and the driver had no fare back)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The classic Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa, built where two sacred rivers meet, has been legendary since 1928. As the first hotel in the artist colony of Ubud, this royal guest house graciously hosted celebrities and foreign painters such as Walter Spies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Tjampuhan Ubud
- Hotel Tjampuhan And Spa
- Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa Ubud, Bali