“I really liked my stay here”

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Ranked #65 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
North Caldwell, New Jersey
“I really liked my stay here”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I stayed 1 night Christmas eve. I arrived too late for dinner so my review is based on my night's sleep and breakfast. Overall, I enjoyed my stay. My review is based on the following:

1) Very reasonable rate
2) VERY friendly staff (it was a loooong ride from the airport and the welcome took away any stress that I had felt)
3) Large room, good a/c
4) The grounds were very interesting to walk around
5) The included breakfast was fine (not large but adequate, American style, made to order eggs, fruit, breads)

Note: Internet access is only in the lobby. It's about an hour/hour and a half from the airport.

The hotel is comprised of a number of living units/bungalos which means you have to walk around the grounds to get to your room. I found it adventurous. The grounds are very exotic and your feel like you are in another place. I've seen reviews where people found it difficult to shlep their bags. It is difficult, but then again the staff took my bags so it didn't bother me.

I took away 1 star because the grounds are near the road and there was some noise. However, I didn't hear anything until the morning. And, I did hear bugs and birds at night, but it is a tropical island; not sure what other reviewers expect. If you are a restless sleeper you may not like it, but I didn't find any noise to be unreasonable and I slept very well (it was my 3rd night in Asia so most jet lag was gone)

Booking: I reserved via Booking.com.

Tip: When I made my booking, other travel sites indicated no room. Booking.com apparently had an allotment with 1 room left which other sites couldn't show. Always check multiple sites.

Tip: To take a taxi from the airport, make sure you go to the stand outside the airport, but against the building, and prepay (~US$22 but I tipped an extra US$5 since it was late and the driver had no fare back)

Room Tip: I was up the hill, closer to the road BENJI something), try to ask for a room closer to the river if...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ScottTheTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I booked a night here for my last night in Ubud in December as I wanted to experience the hotel's history (it's the first of it's kind in Ubud and has exquisite gardens that are almost 100 years old). When I got to the hotel the very friendly and apologetic Manager explained that the room I had booked was being renovated and that they tried to offer me an upgrade but the rest of the hotel was fully booked. They offered me a drink as soon as I arrived, sat me down to explain they had organised an airconditioned room at a Ananda Cottages 100 metres up the road (which were wonderful), drove me up to the other hotel, waited with me at check in where I was presented with another drink, and lots of apologies. I really appreciated this and thought it was extremely thoughtful of them. When I explained that I wanted to stay with Tjampuhan to experience the history, I was told that I was welcome to use the hotel facilities during my stay and when I asked if I could come and take photos of the gardens they welcomed that absolutely. Even though I didn't get to stay with them, the hotel management team and their considerate approach meant that my last night in Ubud was still a special one. I will definitely stay there next time.

Room Tip: confirm on booking that your room is renovated and ready to occupy
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank daniel p
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Amazing amazing place ! Awesome location smack in the middle of happening Ubud and close to Bridges & Indus. Don't let its unassuming entrance put you off - the staff are smiling, friendly and ready to jump to assistance.
The Balinese setting settles around you as you step in - and the walk down to our room was a delight - although we got soaked in the rain ! Wonder why we were not offered an umbrella or the local straw hat protection , though !
The room was delightful and a nice mix of Balinese touches with the mod cons - but we had to ask for an electric kettle and tea bags ! No safe in the room either - it was at the reception !
The resort is cut in to the hillside at different levels - above a gorge with a small river flowing through - which creates the right background music ! The greenery is lush and almost hurts the eyes...loved the landscaping, the lotus pond, the statues with hibiscus flowers and offerings scattered around... !
Am also glad we checked out the spa - the place is straight out of a movie with its curving steps and amazing carvings.. special thanks to Wartini for an amazing spa treatment.

Also appreciated the free internet available on premises...and I DO wish the breakfast had more variety - seemed rather basic with fruit / eggs / cereal / eggs on all days... apart from pancakes which seemed to change everyday

One of the reasons I am coming back to Bali is because of this place !

Room Tip: facing pool or lotus pond
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank riitoo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We had a terrible stay here in Ubud. We felt like we were camping in the outback - whilst the view is beautiful to look at it brings with it many animals and bugs who kept me up all night. On our first night in our room which was the furthest from reception we were stranded in pouring rain. Our hot water in the shower did not work and our phone was broken. We couldn't wait to leave. Whenever we asked the staff for something they made us feel like we were inconveniencing them and they couldn't be less helpful.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here stay as close to reception as possible - there are lots of stairs!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Arielle Z
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Like in Miyazaki's anime film, there is a haunted atmosphere on the premises. Hidden temples at dead end tracks, pervasive incense aromas, and statues of frogs and ghouls scattered along the swimming pool and in the tropical garden. I woke up early in the morning to plunge in the pool with a few other Aussie ladies who, like me, love to begin the day with refreshing laps. The steep descent to the pool was punctuated by kind greetings and smiles from staff, who also tiptoed about my meditating husband, not to intrude in his spiritual practice. The bungalows are slowly becoming part of the landscape, as the tropical climate destroys our efforts of being immortalized in permanent structures. But we had a home good spirit in the form of a giant gecko, brownish with beautiful bluish spots. I even used the Laundry service, which was good and gave my suitcase a pleasant smell for the following week.
The restaurant is average, but cross the road and walk a few hundred meters toward town, and you will find Bridges, the best eating place in Ubud (the best dessert in Bali!) where the chef is Aussie!
The day Spa at Tjampuhan is one of the very few places in Bali with sauna, hot and cold pools and steam room. This was much appreciated. As for massage, I tried twice, one was very good, the second not so good. I did not find a high standard of massage in Ubud, if I compare it with the Prana Spa in Seminyak (paradise!). But, as I am a no-fuss person, I actually liked the setting of the open-space Spa at Tjampuhan, and the roaring river below, the dripping palm tress and geckos on the roof. It is a decadent experience, you have to love the feeling, otherwise, do not go. Still, you meet people in the sauna. I actually chatted with a few Americans and there is a sense of community when you share your experiences. I was very grateful for this. So, in the end, Tjampuhan is worth a visit, it has heritage, colonial architecture typical of the beginning of past century...a European vision of the tropical Paradise. A bit haunting, but really interesting.

Room Tip: Check if everything works in the room (hot water, mini-bar etc.). If not, ask for a change.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank silvia_frisia
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Just returned from my second stay at Tjampuhan. The most scenic, relaxing hotel I have ever stayed in You are surrounded by amazing gardens. Do not expect a 5 star hotel, this is a totally different experience. No TV or radio,,which is great,,also do not need packaged coffee or tea,,,just hopped on our moped and rode into town (2 minutes) and grabbed a nice coffee. Great location on a cliff overlooking river,,very nice to sit by pool and read a book. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paul r
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Absolutely stunning backdrop!
Worth the visit just to see the beautiful landscape.

Hotel is pricey compared to others that are as nice or better.

It is advertised as a spa, but I would go elsewhere for a massage. A lot cheaper and probably cleaner ( they didn't change the towel on the massage table after we left)

Service is average at best, the check-in staff are not particulary friendly. But other workers will return your greetings.

I would recommend this hotel for one or two nights, but then move onto a nicer hotel closer to Monkey Forest rd that will be better value for money.

• Stayed December 2011