“Wonderful”
Review of Okawati Hotel

Okawati Hotel
Ranked #116 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The most welcoming and distinctive hotel that we found and where we stayed in Bali. Staff were unobtrusive, polite and helpful, reasonable price, impeccable cleanliness and quiet and truly breathtaking!

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones with balcony and garden view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Friscofranco

Reviewed January 8, 2013

A 2 night stay here cost us 1.5 million ruppiah, and it was just about worth it. (even after VAT and taxes had been sneakily added on to the bill)

The location is at the heart of Ubud, although far enough away that things are calm and friendly, yet everything remains walking distance away.

The hotel is nice, and set in beautiful grounds with a decent size pool - Rooms are spacious, clean, and interestingly decorated!

Breakfast is terrific was served on our own balcony overlooking the gardens, and was really quite idyllic, and the staff were generally polite and helpful.

The only gripe i would have would be that i do feel the staff (whilst polite) are trying to rip off the customers at every possible turn.
Transfers arranged through the hotel are overpriced and should be avoided as it's possible to arrange a far better deal elsewhere.

One particular incident stood out for us though, which left a bit of a bad taste...

Our driver (who works for the hotel) asked us if we had seen the local coffee plantation? We said no, and he advised that it was en-route and that we could pull up at the roadside and take some photos. (2 min. he said)

When we arrived, it soon became evident that we were being whisked away on a tour of a second rate balinese coffee plantation and that we had been duped. 5 min into the tour we asked to be taken back...
I assume the driver is on some sort of commission, and judging by how well he knew the staff there this is a fairly regular occurrence! However we were already paying for an overpriced transfer and felt that this milking of clientele reflected poorly on the hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ExpatAlec
KomangSuas, Public Relations Manager at Okawati Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Firstly thank you for your positive review about our place.I am just want to clarify your comment about the hidden prices and the driver behavior. as we already explain before you do check in, on the total bill, there will be tax n services apply! about the other comment, before we make a trip, we already discuss about the place you like to visit and then we had agreement about the price. so if you do like to take another interest place that not listed on the trip that we discuss before, it is normal think the driver will reject your request and the site you do like to add is also about 20km away.
But, besida those thing, we are happy that you spend your holiday with us while you are in Ubud.
Hope to see you on your next trip.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed with Oka Wati. What a gracious hostess she is, and what an eexquisite environment she has created in the heart of Ubud. As a walk through the gardens, you can sense that each plant has been lovingly places, the plumaria blossoms are collected each morning and placed in gorgeous arrangements in water bowls. The rooms....oh my...works of art each one, with balinese carvings and frescoes, WORKING air conditioners, misquitoe repellant things....and full on breakfast served on your private terrace overlooking the garden and the pools every morning at a time of your choosing. Aaahhh, Life as it should be. I would not stay anyplace else. Neither will you when you check out the price! Last time that I stayed, I got very sick, and the staff went out of there way to make sure I had fruit, and presented puja's for my well being. I love this place!

Room Tip: Any room is great, the second floor rooms are pretty fun!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel has many things going for it. The best perhaps is location, right in the center of Ubud on popular Monkey Forest Road. It's also not expensive and pretty, with a nice swimming pool, spacious, traditional rooms with very comfortable beds, nicely decorated, and with nice balconies and views. The staff are friendly and generally helpful (they recommended some nice shows for me in town), and the owner, Okawati, is beautiful and very gracious. The only thing is that the breakfast is really basic, and you may need to supplement it with more food outside the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Oka Wati is an oasis within Ubud. You walk down a rambling lane from a busy main street into a green and lush garden with a good sized and very clean swimming pool. There is also a jacuzzi tub next to the pool.
Our room was beautiful with fresh flowers put around the rooms each day. Everything was very clean. Hindu offerings adorn the statues and entrances adding to the relaxing feel of the place.
Breakfast was lovely with lots of choices. We tried both savoury and sweet options and thought each were lovely, with yoghurt and fresh blended juices. Outside our room there was always a thermos of jasmine tea and a bowl of fruit. You should have breakfast served on the verandah as it has a great view of the pool and garden on one side and lush rice paddies on the other.
We had laundry done here and it was a reasonable price and came back fresh and within a day and a half.

However, we arranged two trips through Oka Wati. One was hiring scooters, but there was a misunderstanding and we were firstly given push bikes and offered a trip to a coffee plantation. It turned out that there was someone else with the same name staying and that is where the misunderstanding lay, so hopefully this would not happen often. The mistake was quite quickly rectified. The other trip that was organised was a Batik course. Again, there was a misunderstanding here and the Batik Course was not running on the day that I was "booked" in, so I arrived and was turned away. It turned out that there was a family wedding, so again, hopefully the "booking" mistake wouldn't happen often. I just went back to the hotel and relaxed, so all was not lost as it is a beautiful spot to relax!

We would definitely love to stay here again and definitely recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and had a ground floor room close to reception. it was amazing - huge wooden carved painted bed, odd but lovely reading lamps. the bathroom was a bit basic but clean. best of all were the lovely staff who brought us breakfast each morning on our veranda - really lovely yoghurt and lemon curd, nice omelettes and a flask of tea provided each day. Good clean pool.
Excellent location, just off a main route but so quiet you would hardly guess you were in the heart of Ubud.
Lovely lady who owns the place.
It seemed a little expensive but it was such a peaceful haven. would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2012

.. after less than 24 hours there were missing 200.000 Rp from our room! We were very disappointed, we had been looking forward to staying at this hotel! After breakfast we went down to the pool, but before we went, I put our passports and my purse in the closet, I locked with a small key which I took with me. When we got up to our room, it had been cleaned, and our passport and wallet were suddenly in completely different position and there were missing 200,000 Rp :-(
I am traveling as a woman alone with my young daughter 11 years old, and came up with that I might be an easy target, and that I should have put our stuff into their safety box already the first day. I decided to stay in spite of this sad episode, and not to tell about the missing money, I couldn't prove it anyway, but I did tell about the mess in the closet. This sort of thing can happen anywhere, and it does not make Okawati a bad hotel, but you should be careful, because there may be staff who are tempted to steal.
The lady who owns the hotel is very sweet and friendly with beautiful blue eyes, the staff is nice.. The place is really good situated, away from the busy street, and the surroundings are really beautiful! The pool has a good size and was always very clean. Our room was very beautiful in typical Balinese style, and were cleaned every day and put fresh flowers around the room. We stayed here for 9 nights but they did not change our towels more than 1 time!? The negative is that you can hear everything your neighbors do and say, I could hear the young couple next door when they had sex even though they tried to be very quiet!
The breakfast tasted very good, both their omelet and their banana pancake is really delicious, but you can not have both juice and coffee / tea, you have to choose between hot or cold, a bit weird..
We do not regret our stay at Okawati, it is a little oasis in the middle of the bustling city, but it is my obligation to warn people that there may be theft and that the best is to take advantage of their safety box!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family