“Jalan Jalan Bagus! (good)”

Jalan-Jalan Villa and Spa
Ranked #392 of 622 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Arka the manager has just come an offered us a farewell afternoon tea as I write this review in the gazebo by the pool. We stayed for 6 nights (paid for 5 at AUS$100 a night) and were really impressed. Yes, it is not your 5 star accommodtion but it is a warm, friendly and small accommodation complex (only 10 villas) that is fairly close to everything. You walk out to the main street and there is a supermarket next door, lots of restaurants nearby (recommend Bagus Pizza and the Arma Resort Restaurant), Monkey Forest 10 min down the road and the central Ubud Market 20-25 mins away. Of course, in Bali, you are never too far away from the shops. If you don't fancy a walk, the hotel has a shuttle service in to the Ubud central area (5 minute drive) and will also pick you up. The pool was great, the breakfast was anat (nice) and the rooms were HUGE. We had a duplex villa right next to the pool (room 101) and becasue of the location, had free wifi all through the villa. We travelled with our two kids (aged 15 and 12) in May 2012 who loved the privacy of their upstairs room with two huge single (almost double) beds. My wife and I had the downstairs room with ensuite with the biggest bed that you have ever seen - we could have fitted the whole family in there (but that would have been a bit wierd). The cooking facilities are very basic in the kitchen so don't bother self-catering - just go out and eat - we mostly paid about AUS$30 for the 4 of us to eat and drink every night. The spa was also magnificent - we all had massages and had 50% off because we were staying in the villas. They provided free bottled water daily and all the staff were so eager to please and would do anything to make your stay comfortable, warm and welcoming. Bagus.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank JonBelandkids

Reviewed May 15, 2012

The Jalan-Jalan is a traditional Balinese hotel that has preserved the beautiful stone and woodwork in lush tropical gardens. The rooms are large and air conditioned. This is not a modern Holiday Inn type hotel but more one that would appeal to the discerning traveler. There is a lovely breakfast area next to the pool and the walls surrounding the area are covered with stone figurines in true Balinese style.

I understand that the new manager has really turned this hotel around.Some of the previous reviews might reflect the way things were before. This is now a clean, well organised hotel with a helpful, courteous and friendly staff. The hotel is well located south of Monkey Forest Street and offers a shuttle into central Ubud. There is a fabulous restaurant called l'Nuriani just up the street. The hotel has wifi.

it represents good value for money.

Room Tip: The hotel occupies a long and thin plot. The rooms at the bottom are extremely spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I stayed only 4 hours instead of 3 days in Jalan-Jalan Villas & Spa. Information that Jalan-Jalan Villas & Spa provides on travel websites are far a way from reality. That place is extremely poorly maintained, not clean and their manager has quite unpleasant and aggressive communication tone with his guests.

Our room had entrance door we hardly managed to lock, old furniture, not very clean towels and bed-sheets, dirty dust bin, fridge cover with dirt, filthy bathrooms... When it started to rain somewhere was leaking and floor was covered with muddy water. Although for the room we were paying $100/night, after four hours of stay we had to find new hotel.
When I was leaving, I had Jalan-Jalan manager on the phone, it was unpleasant conversation since he was repeating "I will make you pay $300 for all thee nights from Booking".
In the case of no showing I would be charged $100 according to the terms & conditions. I came to hotel, stayed four hours, due to horrible conditions I had to find another accommodation and still payed $100 in cash to Jalan-Jalan villas & spa for one night.

Because of false information about accommodation quality, I faced unplanned expenses due to the last minute change of the hotel. On the night of 21/04 I had to go around Ubud to find new hotel what really ruined my holidays.

I would strongly recommend that travelers avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Jalan-Jalan Villas & Spa!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Orang_Asli
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Staff were good and very helpful and friendly. Location was good. Pool was decent and their was good wifi coverage. However we thought that in general the hotel was in a poor state of repair and needed to improve the lighting, furniture.......general ambiance. The spa area also suffered from the general sense of being old and dated and the towels etc did not feel (or smell) clean.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SandKJakarta
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Initial impression was not great, because we booked (and had confirmation) of a 2 bedroom villa, but upon arrival were told that the current occupants of the villa decided to extend their stay, so we got 2 separate rooms instead. Not a big deal, since we were only there for 2 nights, but if we planned a longer trip, we would have walked out. The rooms are dated and the bathroom is really in need of updating, but overall, it's a decent budget hotel. Staff are very friendly and try to help as much as they can. Breakfast is very limited. Location is very good, with only a 10-minute leisurely walk to Monkey Forest and only a couple of minutes from most souvenir shops. Overall, you get what you pay for - it's cheap, so don't expect much.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Dennis V
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel but did use the spa.
I think it was extremely expensive for a very mediocre service at best.
I would avoid this place as there are much better spa's for a lot less money.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank drgazza
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I did not stay at the Jalan-Jalan Villas, but the spa looked very nice, with a large pool and flowers everywhere. The prices were a little high but I needed to get my under-arms waxed. I was taken into a dank, small room, lit only by a tiny bulb and a flickering candle. The waxist heats the wax in an incense burner and then, in the bad light bent over me to try to wax my armpit. After 30mins she had not managed to get any hair but had burnt my skin to the extent that I could not put down my arm and I could not wear sleeved tops for the next week. The flesh was red and raw and very painful.
I am a regular waxer and this was unacceptable. The women has no license, could not see in the poor light and couldn't understand when I told her to stop. I had to take the spoon she was using to apply the wax off her and push her out the door before she understood. I got changed and eventually found another person who could understand I wasn't happy and give me back my money.
Avoid this like the plague. The skin opened the next day into several deep burns, like cuts. These didnt heal for a very long time. And to top it off - none of the hair was gone.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple