“Good value for money - you get what you pay for.”

Jalan-Jalan Villa and Spa
Ranked #312 of 538 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Good value for money - you get what you pay for.”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Initial impression was not great, because we booked (and had confirmation) of a 2 bedroom villa, but upon arrival were told that the current occupants of the villa decided to extend their stay, so we got 2 separate rooms instead. Not a big deal, since we were only there for 2 nights, but if we planned a longer trip, we would have walked out. The rooms are dated and the bathroom is really in need of updating, but overall, it's a decent budget hotel. Staff are very friendly and try to help as much as they can. Breakfast is very limited. Location is very good, with only a 10-minute leisurely walk to Monkey Forest and only a couple of minutes from most souvenir shops. Overall, you get what you pay for - it's cheap, so don't expect much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Dennis V

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel but did use the spa.
I think it was extremely expensive for a very mediocre service at best.
I would avoid this place as there are much better spa's for a lot less money.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drgazza

Travelers are raving about these Ubud hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I did not stay at the Jalan-Jalan Villas, but the spa looked very nice, with a large pool and flowers everywhere. The prices were a little high but I needed to get my under-arms waxed. I was taken into a dank, small room, lit only by a tiny bulb and a flickering candle. The waxist heats the wax in an incense burner and then, in the bad light bent over me to try to wax my armpit. After 30mins she had not managed to get any hair but had burnt my skin to the extent that I could not put down my arm and I could not wear sleeved tops for the next week. The flesh was red and raw and very painful.
I am a regular waxer and this was unacceptable. The women has no license, could not see in the poor light and couldn't understand when I told her to stop. I had to take the spoon she was using to apply the wax off her and push her out the door before she understood. I got changed and eventually found another person who could understand I wasn't happy and give me back my money.
Avoid this like the plague. The skin opened the next day into several deep burns, like cuts. These didnt heal for a very long time. And to top it off - none of the hair was gone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple