“Heaven in the Hills”

Ranked #33 of 555 Ubud B&B and Inns
Sydney Australia
“Heaven in the Hills”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I stayed here for two weeks in July 2008 and I had heard a lot about the Honeymoon Guesthouse and was looking forward to doing some cooking classes while I was there, after reading the owner, Janet De Neefe's book, "Fragrant Rice".

This was my first trip to Bali and my plane was very late, so by the time I got out of the airport I was about 2 and a half hours past my pickup time and was sure there was no way that my airport pickup from the guesthouse would still be there, but he was - happily loading my luggage into the airconditioned car which was very welcome in the heat.

The guesthouse is set in gorgeous gardens - beautifully maintained, that give the whole place a lush, peaceful atmosphere and also offers privacy.

Check in at the Honeymoon was fast and smooth, the staff extremely welcoming and hospitable (I was served a drink whilst we took care of formalities and was led to my room) I was housed in the upstairs Laxmi Suite in the old part of the Guesthouse and was delighted with how spacious and lovely the room was. As well as the sleeping area, there was a dressing room, bathroom with spa sized bath and a large patio with a dining area and day bed. The room was simply but beautifully appointed without the generic look of the larger chain hotels.

There was a bar fridge, but no TV or phone (which I was very happy about!) The room had a fan which was more than adequate for cooling and 2 windows so there was lots of cross breeze. My room overlooked the pool which was lovely, but did cause noise isues, as there seemed to be a lot of families with children who would converge on the pool in the afternoon and the screaming and noise got completely out of control. (no fault of the guesthouse) but worth mentioning as I realise that I had booked during what was school hoildays in Australia, and I would urge people to be careful of this if you want a reasonable amount of peace. I am very easy going and I can tolerate a lot, but the noise really was crazy and even at night there were kids screaming. Found out later that it was not one family but two, with feral kids. I was aware that other guests had complained about the noise when I was there, so I dont think Im being unfair here. It was the only real negative of what was otherwise a wonderful stay. Maybe the guesthouse could consider some areas that could be child free?

Cooking classes were really enjoyable (I did 3 days worth) particularly the market tour class where we went to Ubud central market looking at ingredients and learning about traditional foods and utensils. Highly reccommend the classes to cooks and non cooks alike.

The guesthouse serves food from their nearby restaurant, Casa Luna (which I ordered as room service on 2 occasions) the food was fresh and delicious and I would highly reccommend the restaurant itself and the room service version of the food.

Breakfast at the guesthouse was lovely, offering both Balinese and more western choices. The black sticky rice served on Sundays is to die for.

Honeymoon Guesthouse is in a quiet street off the main road and is a 5 minute walk from the centre of town, where the palace, markets and temples are located. There is an internet cafe a few doors down, as well as beauty spas, and a few excellent restaurants worth trying. (Try Miro and Cafe Des Artistes)

I would recommend the Honeymoon Guesthouse to anyone who wants a non commercial, individual place to stay and who appreciates great value and gorgeous surroundings. I still cant believe how cheap it is, given the standard of the accomodation. The service is excellent and I will definitely stay there again when I return to Bali.

• Liked — Delightful surroundings, simple, beautiful decor and great breakfasts.
  • Disliked — Really noisy families destroying the tranquility.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank Lady_of_Lilador

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore expat
Reviewed August 20, 2008

We have stayed 5 nights at the Honeymoon II. We had two rooms as we were four people, and they were together in the first floor of a bungalow, sharing a terrace where we had breakfast. The rooms are spacious, with a four post bed with mosquito net. The bathrooms are in marble, with a tub and a separated shower. We had air conditioning and a mini bar, and there's no TV. The guesthouse has a litlle swimming pool and the gardens are well kept. The staff was very friendly and helpfull in all we asked. The street of the hotel is relatively quiet, and there are a couple of good restaurants in it. The rest of Ubud is in a short walking distance. We all were very happy with the hotel, and the price is less than 50 euros per night.

• Liked — Atmosphere of the hotel, location.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank RJPabroad
Melbourne
Reviewed August 19, 2008

why would you stay anywhere else.....

simply the best place to stay EVER.....

I'm very lucky !!!!!

• Liked — Staff, breakfast
  • Disliked — Couldnt stay longer
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank jwdeneefe
California
Reviewed July 25, 2008

This place is experiencing growing pains, and we as hotel guests could really feel it. I booked a stay here for my family of 4 in February 2008, more than four months in advance for the upper family apartment. Yet when we arrived we were placed in the lower family apartment, which is dark, cavelike. We needed the lights on in the middle of the day. We were just going to check out and find another place to stay after we were put into the dark, lower level family apartment, but we stayed when the front desk said they could put us into the upper apartment. But we learned we'd have to vacate the rooms earlier than scheduled because those rooms we now occupied were booked by someone else for the latter part of our scheduled stay. In the lower room there were tons of mosquitos, and when we moved upstairs there were less, but also still plenty around. I booked rooms at this place specifically to take cooking classes with my daughters. Before I made reservations, I made sure to inquire if Janet DeNeefe, author of Fragrant Rice, would be onsite for cooking classes. I was assured she would be there. But when we arrived, the front desk said Ms DeNeefe was not around. I later learned Ms DeNeefe was busy with the Ubud Writers Festival. Before I made the reservation, I asked if we could have a room with air conditioning. I was told via email from the Honeymoon Guesthouse that Ubud was much cooler because it was in the mountains and so didn't need airconditioning and none of the rooms had airconditioning. Well, we could have used air conditioning in our rooms, at the very least to drive away the very active mosquito population there. This place has been expanded so much the beautiful courtyards I'd see in travel books have been covered over with new guest rooms. As a result, there's little cross breeze through the windows. When we arrived we learned there were rooms that had air conditioning. Maybe it's just as well we didn't book those rooms because on 3 separate ocassions I heard different guests complaining (quite frustrated) about how the airconditioning in their room was broken. Our stay was loud because there are so many rooms in this place now. There are no phones in the room, just a sole phone at the front desk. The entire place has been built up on infrastructure that's just not designed to support so much expansion. Almost everytime we needed to use the phone, it was in use by another guest. The drains didn't drain well in the showers or sinks, so we got to stand in several inches of water when we took a shower. There were no hand towels and no wash clothes. We had booked two adjoining rooms (Arjuna A & B) and had two bathrooms, and this was the case with both bathrooms. In the darker rooms in the lower level, this was the case with both bathrooms as well. We stayed for 7 days, and EVERY NIGHT but one, the power went out. One evening the power went out 4 times. This is because the hotel is overtaxing the electrical grid, making the whole neighborhood lose power. Trying to make reservations for my daughters to take a class, I eventually gave up waiting for the only phone in the place at the front desk to be free and walked down the street to an internet cafe. Right in the middle of using a computer there, the entire street lost power. Locals at the cafe says this happens all the time now because of the expansion of Honeymoon Guesthouse. In the first 3 days, we ate only at the 2 restaurants affiliated with the hotel - Casa Luna and Indus - and breakfast provided by the hotel. After the 3rd day, we got Bali belly (travelers sickness). Stuck at the hotel sick, I met up with 2 other guests who also found themselves newly afflicted with travelers sickness after arriving. They thought it was because of the "filtered" water served with the Honeymoon Guesthouse breakfast. We stayed for a little over a month in Bali, and this was our first time visiting the island. We were disappointed in the Honeymoon Guesthouse. I just went to the hotel website in hopes of sending my feedback directly instead of posting it here. But, there's no contact info posted on the site and no place to provide feedback. I read lots of posts saying this place is great. If that's try, it's slid quite a bit in quality because of obviously new expansion and perhaps because the owner is no longer present as much (at least, that was the case during our stay).

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — dark rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank PeacefulSunKid
Alice Springs
Reviewed March 28, 2008

We returned to Honeymoon Guesthouse after a couple years and found it to be even more guest friendly. We stayed in the air conditioned deluxe rooms. They are very spacious, clean with a real Bali feel. They have enlarged their property to over the road, we are booked into their new rooms (air cond) in June of this year,,,,we will review them then....but overall great value,great position, friendly staff...a taste of Bali

• Liked — Friendly, affordable, clean and a taste of Bali
  • Disliked — Noisy roosters
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John-Sharon-EXOTIQ
St Louis, MO
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We arrived in Bali for a two week trip and choose Honeymoon Guesthouse due to it being listed in Lonely Planet Guide. We paid 20,000 rupiah for the airport transfer (highly worth it - cabs start at 175,000!)

It took us about an hour to get to the hotel, it was a good traffic day. We booked a room with two full beds, and private bath. Rate included breakfast in the morning. We arrived to a beautiful, very clean sanctuary. The pool was wonderful. The price was right at approx. 50 USD per night. We had a small cottage (Dewi 5) and each room had a private porch. Breakfast was delivered every morning to our private patio. The night before you simply fill out a form of which delights you want to eat the next day. Fresh pure water was supplied daily, and the bathrooms were stunning.

The staff was courteous, the food was excellent, and I had no complaints about my stay at all, except that it was too short.

As I am still in Bali, I have not uploaded my pictures as of yet, but I will be more than happy to do so when I return to the US.

Many travelers from all over, seems to have a strong German traveler set, as most people I met there spoke only German.

As a bonus, the internet cafe is one block up, and the streets were lined with excellent restaurants.

Daily housekeeping service was included. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Stunningly beautiful, quiet, surrounded by gardens and the scent of gardinias daily
  • Disliked — The path is uneven rocks - may be hard for people with disabilities.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank robynstl
switzerland, uk, usa, singapore
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This my favorite place on earth. The owners also have 2 restuarants one called Casa Luna where the food is some of the best I have ever had. Try the pumkin Ravioli and lime tart for dessert. I recommend this place to everyone. The pool, spa and cooking school are all worth a visit. A real dream!

Stayed November 2007