“Simply the BEST” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 511 Ubud B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Simply the BEST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

why would you stay anywhere else.....

simply the best place to stay EVER.....

I'm very lucky !!!!!

• Liked — Staff, breakfast
  • Disliked — Couldnt stay longer
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank jwdeneefe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

This place is experiencing growing pains, and we as hotel guests could really feel it. I booked a stay here for my family of 4 in February 2008, more than four months in advance for the upper family apartment. Yet when we arrived we were placed in the lower family apartment, which is dark, cavelike. We needed the lights on in the middle of the day. We were just going to check out and find another place to stay after we were put into the dark, lower level family apartment, but we stayed when the front desk said they could put us into the upper apartment. But we learned we'd have to vacate the rooms earlier than scheduled because those rooms we now occupied were booked by someone else for the latter part of our scheduled stay. In the lower room there were tons of mosquitos, and when we moved upstairs there were less, but also still plenty around. I booked rooms at this place specifically to take cooking classes with my daughters. Before I made reservations, I made sure to inquire if Janet DeNeefe, author of Fragrant Rice, would be onsite for cooking classes. I was assured she would be there. But when we arrived, the front desk said Ms DeNeefe was not around. I later learned Ms DeNeefe was busy with the Ubud Writers Festival. Before I made the reservation, I asked if we could have a room with air conditioning. I was told via email from the Honeymoon Guesthouse that Ubud was much cooler because it was in the mountains and so didn't need airconditioning and none of the rooms had airconditioning. Well, we could have used air conditioning in our rooms, at the very least to drive away the very active mosquito population there. This place has been expanded so much the beautiful courtyards I'd see in travel books have been covered over with new guest rooms. As a result, there's little cross breeze through the windows. When we arrived we learned there were rooms that had air conditioning. Maybe it's just as well we didn't book those rooms because on 3 separate ocassions I heard different guests complaining (quite frustrated) about how the airconditioning in their room was broken. Our stay was loud because there are so many rooms in this place now. There are no phones in the room, just a sole phone at the front desk. The entire place has been built up on infrastructure that's just not designed to support so much expansion. Almost everytime we needed to use the phone, it was in use by another guest. The drains didn't drain well in the showers or sinks, so we got to stand in several inches of water when we took a shower. There were no hand towels and no wash clothes. We had booked two adjoining rooms (Arjuna A & B) and had two bathrooms, and this was the case with both bathrooms. In the darker rooms in the lower level, this was the case with both bathrooms as well. We stayed for 7 days, and EVERY NIGHT but one, the power went out. One evening the power went out 4 times. This is because the hotel is overtaxing the electrical grid, making the whole neighborhood lose power. Trying to make reservations for my daughters to take a class, I eventually gave up waiting for the only phone in the place at the front desk to be free and walked down the street to an internet cafe. Right in the middle of using a computer there, the entire street lost power. Locals at the cafe says this happens all the time now because of the expansion of Honeymoon Guesthouse. In the first 3 days, we ate only at the 2 restaurants affiliated with the hotel - Casa Luna and Indus - and breakfast provided by the hotel. After the 3rd day, we got Bali belly (travelers sickness). Stuck at the hotel sick, I met up with 2 other guests who also found themselves newly afflicted with travelers sickness after arriving. They thought it was because of the "filtered" water served with the Honeymoon Guesthouse breakfast. We stayed for a little over a month in Bali, and this was our first time visiting the island. We were disappointed in the Honeymoon Guesthouse. I just went to the hotel website in hopes of sending my feedback directly instead of posting it here. But, there's no contact info posted on the site and no place to provide feedback. I read lots of posts saying this place is great. If that's try, it's slid quite a bit in quality because of obviously new expansion and perhaps because the owner is no longer present as much (at least, that was the case during our stay).

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — dark rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank PeacefulSunKid
Alice Springs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

We returned to Honeymoon Guesthouse after a couple years and found it to be even more guest friendly. We stayed in the air conditioned deluxe rooms. They are very spacious, clean with a real Bali feel. They have enlarged their property to over the road, we are booked into their new rooms (air cond) in June of this year,,,,we will review them then....but overall great value,great position, friendly staff...a taste of Bali

• Liked — Friendly, affordable, clean and a taste of Bali
  • Disliked — Noisy roosters
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John-Sharon-EXOTIQ
St Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We arrived in Bali for a two week trip and choose Honeymoon Guesthouse due to it being listed in Lonely Planet Guide. We paid 20,000 rupiah for the airport transfer (highly worth it - cabs start at 175,000!)

It took us about an hour to get to the hotel, it was a good traffic day. We booked a room with two full beds, and private bath. Rate included breakfast in the morning. We arrived to a beautiful, very clean sanctuary. The pool was wonderful. The price was right at approx. 50 USD per night. We had a small cottage (Dewi 5) and each room had a private porch. Breakfast was delivered every morning to our private patio. The night before you simply fill out a form of which delights you want to eat the next day. Fresh pure water was supplied daily, and the bathrooms were stunning.

The staff was courteous, the food was excellent, and I had no complaints about my stay at all, except that it was too short.

As I am still in Bali, I have not uploaded my pictures as of yet, but I will be more than happy to do so when I return to the US.

Many travelers from all over, seems to have a strong German traveler set, as most people I met there spoke only German.

As a bonus, the internet cafe is one block up, and the streets were lined with excellent restaurants.

Daily housekeeping service was included. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Stunningly beautiful, quiet, surrounded by gardens and the scent of gardinias daily
  • Disliked — The path is uneven rocks - may be hard for people with disabilities.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
5 Thank robynstl
switzerland, uk, usa, singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2007

This my favorite place on earth. The owners also have 2 restuarants one called Casa Luna where the food is some of the best I have ever had. Try the pumkin Ravioli and lime tart for dessert. I recommend this place to everyone. The pool, spa and cooking school are all worth a visit. A real dream!

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank my3gifts
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

We stayed at the Honeymoon guesthouse while we were planning our wedding in Bali. After our wedding we stayed at KajaNe. Honestly having seen them both I can't help but wonder what these other hotels think justifies the huge price difference above what Casa Luna/Honeymoon Guesthouse offers. The guesthouse is very close to the mainstreet, painstakingly adorned ( carved wood doors, carved stone, antique furniture ), surrounded by lush mature aboreteum quality plants, and has a refreshing pool to beat the heat. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful and the cooking school onsite was really fun. We stayed in the Arjuna Room and loved the bathroom ( tile, large and emaculate ). The beds are draped in netting and the large fan above the bed was adequate to keep the heat away -- not sure why one would want to isolate themselves in hermatically sealed AC rooms anyway. It's definately hot...but with the pool within a few steps it's easy to be refreshed.

• Liked — The local flavor, carvings, statues and stately rooms
  • Disliked — No internet
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lunamui
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2007

Not your normal hotel Casa Luna is my favourite place on earth. I have been 3 times and every time it gets better.

Words cannot describe how well these guys have put together this place. Its simple but sophisticated. Luxurous,calm, gentle and so much more. Its a real experience and doesnt offer the boring, packaged hotel amenties we get in the West.

The staff are geniuen people who are extremely good at their jobs. They put their heart into their job with is SOOO rare at every other hotel in this world. How many times have you requested something and it no arrive? Here it not only arrives quicky but with a real smile

The grounds themselves are stunning and the pool beautiful. You order breakfast the night before and when you wake up fresh fruit, fresh bed and a cup of coffee are on your balcony.

There are no TV's here but you dont need one. I came here to escape the hussle and bussle of life and Casa luna let me do this. Take a book. lay by the pool, listen to music on ur Ipod.. its seriously heaven. And the prices are so reasonable

I cannot speak any more highly about this place. DONT GO ANYWHERE ELSE .

I like the location too. ITs a nice walk to the market so you can see the streets.

Book ahead cos its often hard to get into

• Liked — The staff, grounds, rooms and food
  • Disliked — leaving!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple