“1.Shangri-la ... truely!”
Review of Ananda Cottages

Ananda Cottages
Ranked #89 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Absolutely amazing!!! Beautiful accomodations in an gorgeous setting with a very attentive staff. It has grown tremendously since my visit in the early '80s but still offers an uncomparable value. Surpasses the quality longevity of any location I've experienced. An experience not to be missed, unless of course you want to travel thousands of miles to stay at a cookie cutter hotel. Words cannot express the beauty and tranquility of these cabins. Don't miss it!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunnybeachdallas

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed there for 5 days in May, said to be "the end of the rainy season". Only one of the 5 included a downpour (and of course it was the only day we left our ponchos at the hotel - but glad we were wearing our Tevas for when the streets turned to rivers). The room (#26) was very spacious and luxurious, next to one of the 3 pools. And despite being amongst rice fields, NO mosquitos - at least not that week. We took the "5 day package" offered on the internet which includes some tours. I don't know if we were just lucky that we got such an interested and interesting driver for the week, or we might have been given special attention after mentioning that our original driver who brought us from the other side of the island did not good enough for us the English speak. The included spa sessions were incredible. We chose the more vigorous of the river rafting trips - almost continuous grade 2-3 rapids - glad we did. We downgrade the resort from a 5 star only because they did not abide by some statements on the web site such as "package includes transport from ANYWHERE on Bali" and it was not adequately clear beforehand what tourist site admissions were and were not included in the "package". Overall, a VERY pleasant oasis.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

A beautiful oasis set upon rice paddies. The grounds were beautiful and the yoga studio placement was awe inspiring!! The rooms were beautiful, accompanied with either a lovely veranda or balcony. Very charming place and lovely personnel

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank eliaschics
Reviewed June 8, 2013

after staying for a few days in nusa dua i decided to stay at this hotel,totally amazing place to stay,i knew this hotel from small agent in kuta, we do a full day tour to kintamani before we check in on the day,the volcano view is amazing,about 45 minutes from this hotel,friendly staffs,helpful and peaceful,driver from the agent was great,we forget the agent name but i save their number +62337977933,flexible driver

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Well well well, I did not expect this hotel to be anywhere near as good as this!

Even our 2 teenagers loved the place.

The rooms are really comfortable and this place seemed quite rustically high end for a mega cheap price. Gems like this are few and far between.

Even though the hotel is close to the busy main road, if you got rooms further back like we did it was fine. I am glad this was the case. We had standard rooms and they were more than sufficient!

Free wifi around reception was nice and the kids loved it!

Brekfast was fantastic - you literally could have whatever you wanted. Dippy eggs, cracking coffee, tasty fresh fruit and traditional balinese as well. Set you up for the day.

We loved coming back on a evening and having a few bintangs around and about reception area that was nice.

There are quite a few nice restaurants just outside of the hotel so we did venture off and not eatin the evening in the hotel.

You can walk into the centre of Ubud - we did this once but I probs wouldn't bother again as the taxis are pretty cheap.

There are 3 swimming pools and enjoyed two of them. One was especially nice and you will see the photos attached.

I loved all the nature that was around - the butterlies and other cretins. No problems in the rooms mind you.

The outdoor shower was lovely as it is never cold here. HOWEVER my biggest downside is the noise from the neighbours. Bearing in mind one set of them were our teenager kids! There is very little privacy. Could hear every single word of a conversation and dare I say anything else. So personally for me I would actually rather the bathroom be a private bathroom than outdoor for everyone to know about. I think it the rooms were further spaced apart then yes it would be fine.

So overall I would say this hotel is amazing - just a few very minor issues.

I would highly reccomend this hotel and I am so pleased I have had the chance to experience it for myself. Very nice!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kir321
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at Ananda last year on a yoga retreat and enjoyed my time so much that I decided to return independently this year .

Ananda is located up the main road just out of Ubud city centre, which may not be appealing to some, but at the end of a long, hard day shopping, eating, temple visiting, bartering, yogerising etc returning to Ananda was like returning to a blissful haven. It is a pretty easy walk into town down the main road (about 20 minutes if you don't stop to shop) or take the scenic back route along the aqueduct through the rice paddies and local homes. Alternatively you can have one of the readily available drivers chauffeur you in to town or back to Ananda for around $3.

The resort itself is traditional, offering lovely bungalow accommodation. There are no TVs or mod cons, although free Wi-Fi is available in the reception area. Both times I have stayed in a superior room - wooden floors and a balcony offering gorgeous jungle and rice paddy views. If you appreciate nature, you are in for a treat with lush green vegetation and plenty of wildlife to hear and observe. The grounds are very beautiful and meticulously maintained by the friendly staff.

In terms of relaxing, there are 3 swimming pools to choose from - one out the back along the back way into town - ask staff to show you. Ananda also has a sister day spa - Bliss Spa - where you can be driven over for your spa treatment, again amongst the rice paddies and resident ducks. Breakfast is very simple, but can be enjoyed looking over the very pretty lily pond.

Ananda is located next to an Indomart convenience store which is handy if you need any little extras. There is also an ATM next door and a gallery that exchanges money. In terms of restaurants, do yourself a favour and visit Indus across the road - stunning building, view and food. Well known restaurants Mozaic, the French (very) fine dining restaurant and Naughty Nuri's BBQ grill are also in very easy walking distance. So while located out of the main hustle and bustle you really don't feel isolated at all.

I truly enjoy Ananda for an authentic, relaxing and idyllic Balinese experience and can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have such mixed feelings about Ubud, and think it has been ruined with tourists. The traffic was unbelievable heading in to Ubud, and I thought we'd made a big mistake in coming. Travel along the coast to non-tourist locations had been interesting, but not entirely satisfying, and most of the beaches actually disappointing due to trash and other environmental issues. That said, we enjoyed the warm and friendly people, and that is one of the highlights of Ananda cottages.

Once settled into a back corner of the property, we luxuriated in the quiet, peaceful surroundings, with numerous different swimming pools to chose from. I experienced two firsts, a hotel nestled in rice paddies, and an indoor/outdoor bathroom. This was very upscale compared to where we had been staying (places well off the radar of TripAdvisor), and was much more the Balineese experience I had hoped for (despite the nearby Ubud crowds).

Arriving with a small wad of rupiah, we had been on a tight budget, staying at non-credit card taking bungalows, but most of the ATMs would not accept my Chase mastercard debit card, and the banks and money changers wouldn't take the older pre 2003 hundreds which were my emergency fund, so we were forced to find Ananda (which takes cards), and we were so very pleasantly surprised.

The breakfasts were very good, and I've never had a more peaceful setting for a hotel breaky buffet. Though not pleased with Ubud, my best memories from Bali are while staying amongst the rice paddies and ever present waterfowl.

Room Tip: Be away from the road and the restaurant area.