“Authentic Balinese Paradise..amazing views and people so friendly”

Bali Spirit Hotel and Spa
Ranked #92 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family and I have just returned from a week in one of the two story River View villa's at the Bali spirit Hotel.. We fell in love with this place, on the outskirt of Beautiful Ubud. The staff are so friendly and always greeted us with a friendly smile and hello..as you are not just a room number in this hotel,they know your name and will go out of there way to help you.
The River villa was stunning for the price,with plenty of room for a family of 4,with a small kitchenette on hand and a gorgeous traditional Balinese outdoor bathroom for the nature lovers.
The pool was close and handy to our room and there was an attached toddler pool..we did have a little trouble with lifting tiles in the pool but once we told the staff the problem was quickly dealt with.. The views of this hotel are amazing and with the flowing river beside it really is breathtaking..but to get this view there are the stairs.. and there are alot of them..
Food was great and they also do cooking classes here... loved this hotel and staff and would defiantly stay again.. thanks to all the staff that made this our home for a week.

Room Tip: for a family.. River Villas are a must.. honeymooners.. the teak villa are a little more private.. f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Rachelle K

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Very relaxing atmosphere on the outskirts of Ubud. Free shuttles into town throughout the day which means you're not far away for the action, not often you get a free ride anywhere in Bali. We initially had a bungalow style room with an outside shower, but changed due to the frog invasion (I imagine it could be romantic, but wasn't for us). After a small extra charge per night they happily gave us one of their honeymoon suites, which was insane. Massive double story unit which was treat for us. It offers you the best of both worlds, quite setting of the hotel and easy access to town. Great 4 night stay.

PS. There's a cracking good restaurant just up the road from the entrance. Not sure of the name, but was one of our best meals in Bali. Dirt cheap too. Highly recommend a stroll up there when you're there.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This trip was my 3rd time in Bali in the last 15 years. Coincidentally, when I checked my travel journal, I realized that we had stayed here 10 years ago and that we didn't like it much back then and only stayed for one night. No matter, I decided to wing it and see what has changed.

The hotel has definitely improved in the last 10 years. They were renovating the bungalow next to mine during my stay. This did not bother me in the least. What did bother me was how the staff treated me upon my arrival. The hotel did not respond to my inquiry that was sent directly to the company so I had to book my stay through Hotels.com. Hotels.com gave me two options to pay - prebook and prepay using my US credit card and being charged in USD or pay upon arrival at the hotel. I chose the latter. But I was not informed that the hotel would charge me in rupiahs (ok, not a big deal) and that they would also slap on a commission for using a credit card (2.5%). Had I known this, I would have withdrawn more rupiahs at the ATM at the airport. At check-in, I was told I needed to settle the 4 night stay right then and there. What I know was that I was obligated for only one night. I could cancel the other 3 with no penalty. I really wanted to see my room first before I paid for the rest of the stay but the front desk staff acted like I was going to run and not pay and insisted that I pay. Luckily, I had printed out my Hotels.com reservation and informed them of my one night obligation. So I paid for one night using US currency. I asked to see my room before making the decision about staying the other 3 nights and they acted all nervous so it made me suspicious. They sure wanted me to pay for all 4 nights ASAP. They even decided to waive the 2.5% commission rate for using a credit card. I did not fall into this trap.

Luckily the room was fine. The property itself is very lush and clean and nicely laid out. It is next to the river so you can watch bathers during breakfast. Besides the front desk staff, the rest of the people working for the hotel were really nice and friendly. There are a lot of steps so this is not the place if mobility is an issue. I did not use the pool so cannot comment on this but it looks like a really nice pool and I often saw guests lounging there.

The negative thing about the hotel were: it's location to central Ubud. Perhaps this is a positive for another traveler as it is a bit quieter? In Ubud, I would not recommend walking the streets as there are lots of motorized vehicles and coming from Shanghai, I find it was really not safe to walk or ride your bike to the center of town. The hotel did offer a shuttle and if you want to be dropped off or picked up outside of the scheduled times, it's only 10,000 rupiahs so not very expensive. It is a nice, new shuttle.

I only ate the breakfast at the hotel as it was included in my room charge. I did not try any other times but from the breakfast I had, I can say that the food is just ok, nothing awful and nothing spectacular.

I found 2 small cockroaches near my bathroom but perhaps this is the nature with an outdoor bathroom? I am very squeamish about them but managed to be ok with this and I was traveling solo this time. The room is clean and the staff do a pretty good job of maintaining the whole facility in a nice, pleasant, and clean way so I did end up staying here during my whole stay in Bali.

I don't know if I would stay her next time but if I do, I would chose rooms closer to the front/reception area. I did not like that Hotels.com asked me to review the hotel for their site and I took the time to do this and then they did not want to post it. There was no profanity. Just the same information I am writing here but they wanted me to write another review. This is why I would NEVER trust Hotels.com's reviews ever again. Travelers should be able to honestly tell others what they think and not be censored. I will never use Hotels.com again for any services in the future. They have lost me as a customer as I now have no faith in how they do business.

Room Tip: I would chose the rooms closer to the reception area but I think these are villas and from the balco...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Quynh C
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Welcome - I don't have enough good things to say about my stay at Bali Spirit. This place is a destination in and of itself. To be welcomed with a cool drink and a gong in a beautiful, tastefully decorated lobby is a treat.

The Location - Though it's only a 5 minute ride (or 20 minute walk) to Ubud, it feels like you're a world away. The resort is beautifully situated on a hill overlooking a river and small valley. The verdant scenery always took my breath away. At all times you can hear the river or a waterfall. The hotel couldn't have done a better job adapting to the native environment.

The Room - I booked the Rama/Sita suite for me and my parents. The shear grandiousity comfort of the suite alone caused us to extend our stay at Bali Spirit by 2 days. It was massive. The master bedroom was cavernous with a gorgeous view to the valley, and a lot of natural light. The terrace blew me away when I saw how large and gorgeous it was. The wifi signal was also strong inside the room. The only problem was the rooms were so large it took a while for them to become cooled by the AC

The Grounds - Walking around Bali Spirit feels like you are in an exotic sculpture garden. Every corner has a feast for the eyes. The many sculptures are tastefully placed, and the grounds in general are very well maintained. It is true that there are many stairs to be climbed, but there is no other way to adapt a hotel to the native habitat. The vertical construction ensures a great view from every room. The pool is very nice as well, as a 'sweaty' Buddha head watches over you.

The Service - The staff was exemplified the warmth and hospitality the Balinese are famous for. Our stay was made complete by the kindness of the staff.

I hope they don't change a single thing about this hotel. Because when I come back to Bali, I will go out of my way to stay here. And the Rama/Sita suite is one of the best values I have ever seen in my travels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Noturavg
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying here for 4 nights. Kids love the pool! Restaurant is quiet but nice and staff lovely. Gardens beautiful and overlook river. Free shuttle to town is good. Service is very prompt. Pool bar staff always smiling and quick service. Prices here a lot cheaper than legian/ kuta. Great wifi coverage. Would love to come and stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank BrowniePerth
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed at the Bali Spirit for 4 wonderful nights for my birthday in April and absolutely loved it! The resort is out of the main part of Ubud, which was great for peace and tranquiliity. The room I had overlooked the terrace which led down to the amazing pool. The outside shower was such a treat! The staff are so lovely and when you arrive they sound the gong to welcome you, such a special touch. The restaurant is great - hard to fault the food or location in the resort as it sits above the river and you hear the water as you eat. The gardens are amazing and it was the most relaxing, peaceful location and the spa is amazing too - again you hear the sounds of nature whilst you are having your treatment. I will return to spend a week next time - Bali perfection.

Room Tip: Room 142 - absolutely lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Fif5555
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here for my best friend's 40th. I stayed in an Emerald Room, which was clean and spacious, good choice of tv channels- local and english, fruit basket in the room on arrival and the indoor/outdoor bathroom was pretty cool.
On arrival after a long drive and getting lost(my driver and i missed the sign and drove past it twice!) I was greeted with a ringing of the gong, an ice cold towel and a fruity welcome drink... aaahh :-)
A lovely smiling receptionist (who's name I didn't get but was awesome) helped me with a very quick and easy check in and another lovely, super friendly staff member named Pudu showed me around, helped me with my bag and took me to my room.
The staff here are all fantastic and definitely make the place! All the staff from the kitchen, restaurant, pool bar, front desk, housekeeping were all lovely and the shuttle bus guys are friendly, on time and great drivers, especially Agung, who drove us out to the airport to drop my friends off in the pouring rain... I mean knee deep in some places, just crazy rain!! He was amazing :-) lovely guy with very good english, friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely happy to answer all my questions about Bali as we were driving back- he would make a great guide if you were wanting to do a day trip, he is a local in that area and lives just down the road from Ubud so knows all the roads really well and would be able to take you to anywhere you want to get to or maybe somewhere you would want to go to, if you knew about it :-) he suggested some really nice places to eat too!
Nice pool, was good to relax in after a big day in the tropical heat.
Breakfast was included and really lovely and we ate in the restaurant several times and the meals were reasonably priced and really nice. Love the fresh lime juice... tastes like summer!
Free shuttle to and from Ubud town was really great and used this service a couple of times, it is also a really nice walk through the monkey forest to monkey forest rd and was a nice way to window shop and take in everything as you walk up the hill into the town centre.
Would stay here again, yes it is a little bit out of town but the shuttle service keeps you connected without having to be in the busy area of town, you get the best of both worlds and the serenity was amazing, it is on the river so you can hear the sound of the forest and running water down by the restaurant.. very nice and the price makes up for it, very reasonable.

Room Tip: the two storey suite looks good, will stay in one of these when I come back with my family :-)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends