“Fanbloodytastic!”

Ranked #14 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Fanbloodytastic!”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Komaneka at Monkey Forest is the first resort we have stayed in Bali. We based our decision on the reviews on this very site and I am pleased to say we were rewarded. The location right on Monkey Forrest road and its proximity to the plethora of restaurants and bars make walking in the draining humidity bearable. For value, it’s up there, especially the way AU $ is at the moment. The room was excellent, massive bed and mozzie net and bathroom very functional. The staff must get a special mention; they are simply the best I have ever encountered over the 20 years I have been travelling, nothing was too much trouble. I was sick with Bali belly (my own fault – having Mojito’s a plenty in happy hour) and the staff offered to help in any way, they also sent a big basket of fruit with a get well card. The room was cleaned twice a day, fresh towels and bottled water replenished.
The infinity pool is spotlessly clean despite being under the tree canopy. The whole property and grounds are impeccably clean; the foliage detritus must drive the gardeners nutz!
As we stayed for 8 nights, the hotel management provided us with a free candlelight dinner, which they didn’t have to do. The meal was great; Balinese smoked chicken… yum! The spa is alos worth a visit, there are cheaper ones outside the hotel, but no way near the quality. Free WiFi is great, especially if your stuck in your room :-(
I recommend the Laughing Buddha, immediately left of the hotel entrance. The aforementioned Mojito’s and other cocktails are great, just don’t have the ice. They have live entertainment and the food is good too.
Overall summary: is you are considering ubud , and $200 per night is in budget, then visit this wonderful oasis.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pebbles118

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2010

During our 5 day stay here we explored Ubud and surrounds by motorbike, but enjoyed coming back to our villa and its inviting plunge pool whenever we could. The staff at Komaneka treated us like we were royalty, all smiles and very welcoming.

The villa was romantic, spacious, clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfasts, both indonesian and American versions, were delicious.

The location is very good. - 1 min walk to to south on monkey forest road are restaurants, massage places and some bars. To the north are some of the best textile shops in ubud.
Even though you are in the middle of ubud, the hotel backs up onto a gully with a stream. From your villa you can see squirrels, birds and dragonflys doing their business amongst the trees.

There are quite a few other hotels of equal (and even higher) standard in Ubud. However, Komaneka Monkey Forest has the right combination of style, price, quality and location. Don't hesitate.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wrj9
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2010

my wife and i stayed at the komaneka for 4 nights from 16th october. all i can say to anyone who is thinking of staying there is you will not be disappointed. read all the reviews, everyone rates this resort.We renewed our wedding vows whilst at the komaneka and the whole experience was mind blowing just fantastic.A special thanks to MIKA who sorted out all our arrangements for us. Nothing was to much trouble, we were given a upgrade to pool villa, complimentary 2hr spa treatments and on departure we were presented with photo album of our ceramony.All the staff made us feel very special from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.I could write for ever about the positives of this resort,but they have all been previously written in other reviews.Would have liked to have visited the 2 other komaneka resorts but we just did not have time. I believe they are opening a 4th resort some time next year. looking forward to returning.

1 Thank ericfreeman53
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2010

My partner and I had just finished a long European holiday and came to Bali on the way home to fully unwind. We stayed at Komaneka Monkey Forest for 5 wonderful nights. We had been to Bali many times before but this was our first time staying in Ubud and we absolutely loved it! From the moment we set foot at komaneka Monkey Forest we were blown away by the incredible service. We were upgraded to a luxury suite which was absolutely stunning. The room was enormous and luxurious. We had a lovely view of the pool on one side and rice paddies on the other.
I couldn’t possibly articulate just how incredible this place is. From the fresh fruit delivered to your room daily, to the wonderful daily breakfasts, to the pyjamas and bed time story left on your bed each night, this place was sheer heaven! I’ve always found the Balinese to be wonderful people, but the staff at Komaneka took this to another level. They were willing to do anything to make the stay as enjoyable as possible. Even the gardener insisted on carrying our heavy bags to reception on the last day, and had disappeared before we could even tip him!
Thank you Komaneka for an incredible stay!! We’ll certainly be back soon!!
Adrian and Susan, Sydney Australia

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sydneyrocks
Jakarta
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This is my second stay in Ubud area, and I chose to stay in Komaneka because it has a very good review from tripadvisor members and I really glad I did!
The staff and check in process was very warm and welcoming.
The room had been prepared when we arrive with a lovely rose petal on our bed
The bathroom was really big and spacious
We really like the sense of peace and calm when I stayed there
Location is also very good, it's located at the heart of monkey forest road with many restaurants nearby

We tried the amazing spa during our stay, and it was really wonderful experience.
However I found one of the downside of the room is that many times I can find some insects on my bed, since the hotel has so many garden area.
Other than that, it was an excellent stay!

The breakfast was also quite unique where you don't being served the usual buffet breakfast, instead they will serve an ala carte where you have to order first and then the food will come by order.
Me and my girlfriend find it very fulfilling and the process makes you eat more slowly too.
You can choose to have the breakfast served to your room also

We highly recommend Komaneka to our friends, and would like to stay at Bisma resort next time!

2 Thank hdsurya
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My wife and I and one daughter stayed in the the Komaneka in June for the second time. Being veterans of plus 25 trips to Bali between us and many hotels, resorts and villas, this one rates amongst our absolute favourites. For us it is everything we love about the Balinese and their beautiful island and culture. Gung Adek and his staff have achieved perfect harmony between Balinese hospitality and the desire of western tourists. He and his staff kindly offered to upgrade us to a nearby Komaneka (5 star excellence) but for us the traditional and location wins out. The resort is small, I think 16 rooms and suites and rooms aretypical older Balinese with open air showers, big sunken baths and walled courtyards. High ceilings, comfortable beds and traditional lights (hearts out of rose petals on arrival), combined with free internet, infinity pool, incredible service and an warmth of welcome. We tried to book most of the hotel for a special event this month but Gung whilst bending backwards to help (moving us all to the 5 star resort if we so chose) did point out that the quiet ambience amongst the rice paddies whilst being in the centre of Ubud was the point of the hotel. Don't look to the hotel for food and bars, there are masses within a five to ten minute walking radius. Warung Wayung across the road is great and I have to agree with Rick Stein the suckling pig (Babi Gulung) at Ibu Oka's is one of the worlds best culinary experiences. It is always my first stop in Ubud and at $4 - 5 dollars Aus for a plate is just brilliant. I could wax lyrical about the whole Ubud ambience having visited for many years for pages, however I'm sure you will all experience it for yorself. I only hope that whilst it may be goof ofr the local economy, that 'Eat, Love Pray' doesn;t ruin the whole experience for most visitors.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keggfish
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Wow, this place is a hidden gem. Quality, quality!
If you have high standards and like small boutique resorts, then this is for you.
Attention to detail is second to none. The service is outstanding - your on a first name basis here. The pool area is beautiful, could stay there all day.
From now on we go to Bali, we stay here in Ubud, back here at this resort!
Everything you need at your doorstep.

1 Thank GorgeousCouple7079