We recently returned from Bali where we stayed for five nights at Komaneka at Monkey Forest, I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Ubud.
We had a pool villa room which was one of the nicest rooms that we have ever stayed in. We had a plunge infinity pool that overlooked a ravine with a river flowing through it. The bathroom was outdoors (although sheltered). The big bath tub was surrounded by a fish pond with lily pads, fish and little frogs. Our room had a huge dressing room which was separate from the living area and from the bathroom.
Next to the pool were two deck beds with cushions and in a separate area was a sheltered table with four chairs were you could have breakfast or entertain guests. Each day we were provided with a jar of cookies and assorted fruit in addition to the mini bar drinks.
My Mum and her friend met us at the hotel and they stayed in a Suite over looking the rice paddies - their room was bright and airy and the view was amazing.
The staff were very friendly and helpuful. The resort was emaculately maintained and a nice quiet oasis.
When we arrived, the desk clerk advised that we could move to Komankea at Bisma which is about a ten minute drive away. We had a good dinner at Bisma on the balcony overlooking the pool. The food was excellent Balinese and included some really nice Gado Gado. We had a tour of some of the rooms to see if we wanted to make the change. They too were lovely and similar in design - modern, clean Balinese - these rooms might have been a bit roomier than those at Monkey Forest. The draw back from our perspective to Bisma was that it was slightly off the beaten track and you would need to take a car in to the main drag. We opted to stay at Monkey Forest and enjoyed being able to walk out to shops and restaurants.
The breakfasts at the hotel were excellent. They serve delicious fresh fruit with yogurt, cinnamon and honey. My husband and I didn't eat dinner at the hotel but the hotel provided a complimentary Balinese meal for my Mom and her friend who stayed on afterward. They said it was a really special touch.
We used the hotels car service to tour around. The drivers (Eric and Subrata) were excellent drivers and very attentive. They always had cool drinks and cool towels available - which you really needed in heat and humidity.
The spa is beautiful. I just went in for a polish change and was served some tamarind tea when I arrived. As I waited for the polish to dry on a couch over looking the rice paddies, I was served a small plate of mixed fruit and some ginger tea. Pretty amazing service for a simple spa treatment.
Komaneka is owned by the same family as the Neka Museum - when you stay at the hotel you get free admission to the Art gallery - if you are remotely interested in art, this museum cannot be missed - it has an amazing collection.
We had several great meals outside of the hotel. We would highly, highly recommend Lamak - we actually ate there twice we enjoyed it so much. The guidebooks suggest the butterfish marinated in yogurt and curry and I would agree - delicious. This restaurant also makes a great soufflie. This is a good place to have a martini (which can sometimes be warm in these climes) as they serve the glass in a bed of ice.
We had another great meal at Cafe Wayan. This restaurant caters well to visitors and they explain in detail how the water they use is purified along with the ice for your drinks - something that you sometimes wonder about in other restaurants. I had a great nasi goreng there. The service was excllent.
We could also recommend Cafe des Artistes.
Enjoy Ubud - it is a great place with lots of character and is still really good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Komaneka at Monkey Forest began as a residence for artists behind the prestigious Komaneka Gallery, specializing in fine contemporary Indonesian and Balinese art. Now recently renovated with luxurious suites, an infinity pool, open-air restaurant, spa, and pool villas, all in a lush garden with mature shade trees, this is a very special oasis. The resort's location on the Monkey Forest Road gives immediate access to the Ubud market and all the cultural activities of the Ubud palace, Puri Ubud, residence of Ubud's ruling family. At the other end of this bustling street, lined with restaurants and boutiques, is a sacred monkey forest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Komaneka at Monkey Forest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Komaneka At Monkey Forest Hotel Ubud
- Komaneka At Monkey Forest Ubud, Bali