“Beautiful, romantic experience”

Ranked #10 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
New Delhi, India
“Beautiful, romantic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Judging by the lack of noise, it's impossible to tell that the hotel is tucked away, just off Jl. Monkey Forest. From the moment you step in through the doors, it's like a different world from the hustle and bustle just outside. Starting with the warm greeting, the refreshing welcome drink and the cold towel at check-in, Komaneka is a fabulous experience (even though I used to feel describing hotels as experiences was a little over-the-top).

I stayed there for two nights with my wife, and we barely wanted to step out of our room. It was very well-designed in Balinese style, with a small patio dining area, a huge toilet with a bathtub looking out to the blue sky and all the modern conveniences one could want on a romantic getaway. The bed gave me a wonderful night's sleep, though it could just as easily have been the resort's nightgowns (changed every day) or the flower petals they had laid out. My wife of course loved the small bath salts and fragrant oil kit we received at check in.

The breakfast consists of choosing from several set menus, but be sure to specifically mention if you want everything on that menu to avoid confusion. The food quality was high throughout, especially the baked goodies (yummy banana bread). The food from the restaurant is competitively priced with the restaurants around, reducing the need to step out! Another small, but much appreciated touch - the tons of free mineral water in the room. They really keep you well hydrated here!

The conspiracy to keep you on the property extends through the day, with tons of activities and evening tea (which we were very sorry to have missed), making the Komaneka very good value for money for the luxury it offers. Of course, it also helps that the service is top notch and friendly throughout, though the housekeeping staff maybe a little uneven. There were some toiletries which were not replaced and a dressing gown vanished without a substitute, but given the overall quality of the staff, this amounts to nitpicking.

The property itself if compact, well planned and green. So green, that there is a little note reminding guests that bugs are to be expected around forests! Thankfully we didn't have to put up with any of these uninvited guests during our stay. We did like the serene atmosphere of the hotel, thanks to all the trees, and can't wait to get back and spend more time at this hotel. Highly recommended for anyone on their honeymoon or a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Suites are worth the small extra amount. Rooms near the pool will be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having arrived in the warm/humid Ubud the greeting by the staff at Komaneka Monkey Forrest was such a delight. The staff were full of smiles, cool towels, thirst quenching drink and information. Given a tour of the hotel and introduced to our private villa over looking the rice fields. This was quiet retreat from the madding crowd but central to all the necessary highlights of the town. Close to all the food eateries, shops and tourist sites of Ubud. the free afternoon teas were certainly welcomed as was the breakfast each morning in our cabana next to the plunge pool. nothing to toohard for the staff to organise all you need to do is ASK!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the villa.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

From the moment we arrived to a welcome drink our every need was catered for with gracious friendly service and nothing was too much trouble. Set amidst beautiful gardens and lush bush with views out over rice fields it was truly a wonderful place to relax and enjoy. Breakfast was amazing and people so kind. Ubud shopping is great and sightseeing from there marvellous. Such an interesting area with so much to see and after a busy day to relax in the quiet of Komaneka is truly an amazing experience. Great tourist destination where we felt very safe - two elderly sisters travelling together.

Room Tip: We stayed in a villa with own plunge pool so cannot comment on other accommodation.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
traveling the world
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here for 4 nights and it was amazing. The rooms are beyond nice and set in a beautiful location. Delicious breakfast and afternoon tea served daily. The staff goes above and beyond their job descriptions to make you feel at home and like family.

• Stayed June 2013
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed in Komaneka Monkey Forest for one night only. I decided to go there for my birthday and stayed with a friend. I cannot rave enough to all my family and friends about this resort how wonderful everything was. We were initially going to stay at the Rasa Sayang resort but got upgraded to Monkey Forest.

The resort is very pretty; the room/bathroom was stunning; the food (breakfast) was served on our balcony with perfection and it was absolutely delicious; the staff at the hotel were wonderful; the Balinese massage we had was superior.

The staff are very friendly and smily and pay attention to the finest detail of ensuring our stay was perfect. What really touched me was a knock on the door after we had checked in...four friendly staff with a birthday cake :) The cake was delicious and they put a huge smile on my face! We were also given each a beautiful silk scarf, which I will wear and treasure.

The staff were very helpful and I cannot find any fault in the staff or hotel. Superior class. In the room, they had thought of every little detail...in case you forgot your travel adaptor, no problems, there was one in the room, together with mosquito spray, an alarm clock, a shopping basket, etc...you name it! Also, some delicious cookies in a jar that we nibbled on and after asking where could we buy some...we were told that they were baked in the hotel...

The next day after checking out, we could leave our bags at reception whilst still doing some last minute market shopping! We were told when we come back that we can have afternoon tea by the pool and a refreshing shower! We had the tea (Bali coffee) and delicious Balinese rice cakes. When we left, we were given each a bag of those delicious cookies :) which I'm nibbling on as writing this review..

One final thing was that in their pool hut, I saw a traditional wooded craft/game that I was desperately after and searched long and wide for it. They had it! I asked the lovely lady at the reception where to buy that - she mentioned a village market where she lived and offered to go there to see if they had it! That was amazing! The next day, once we had returned to Benoa, I had a call from Komaneka saying they had one for me and that their driver will bring it to me that evening! Two and a half hours drive each way - I had no words! What wonderful service!

Thank you to everyone at Komaneka for making my birthday special :) and I hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony and this was lovely as we had a lovely view. The room was initially a d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was the most expensive hotel during my trip to SE Asia but you get what you pay for. The rooms were really spacious and lovely. The outdoor patio/garden area was a wonderful area to enjoy our teatime and breakfast. The breakfast was AMAZING and for that reason alone, I would probably return. The service was great and the facilities and rooms were really nice. I stayed there with two other girls and the room space was just right. The bathrooms are really nice and spacious as well. The check-in process did take some time but that was largely because we had just booked the place fairly last minute. Lastly, the location was also perfect -- central to all the main restaurants, bars and shopping.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We almost stayed at the other Komaneka (Rasa Sayang) which is really close by - but we were so happy with our choice to stay at Komaneka at Monkey Forest. Rasa Sayang reminded me of a massive hotel in the middle of the city and most of the rooms look onto the wall of the building next door (we checked out the rooms before choosing which one to stay at because they had rooms available at both). Komaneka at Monkey Forest is really warm, spacious and feels really private and not like a hotel at all. We had out own little villa with a garden. Room was stunning, breakfast was great and the staff were incredible. Location is perfect and while its on the main road, we couldn't hear anything at all from our room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple