“Incredible hotel - ignore the whinging reviews, just stay here!”

Komaneka at Monkey Forest
Ranked #13 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reading, United Kingdom
“Incredible hotel - ignore the whinging reviews, just stay here!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is my first trip to bali, although I am a seasoned business traveller and have stayed in many of the best (& worst!) hotels all over the world. This honestly rates as one of the best. No, it doesn't have the Luxury of a Raffles or a Dorchester, but in most ways it's the spirit and feel of the hotel that gives it the character and the 5-star is deserved based on its customer service, facilities and overall enjoyment factor. We also stayed in pool villa Room 101, as have other reviewers on here, and its been a great experience with no issues. From the welcome into the hotel & room with the petals and towel swans, to the facilities of the private gated villa with its own verandah, plunge pool, external dining table & sofa and private view over the jungle to the the internal facilities of the extensive room (actually, 3 rooms adjoining) - all very well laid out, clean and plenty of room. Facilities are all good and all work OK - with the exception of the TV that only picks up local analogue TV channels. If there is anything to complain about, there are a few instances of occasional insects/ants in the villa, including the occasional friendly gecko - but this is a jungle retreat, with a thatched roof, and considering this the rooms are actually pretty sanitised. If you can't handle that, don't come to Bali !! Staff also provide plenty of insect killer/candles/repellent for your use, and so far no problems. Sleep quality is also good after the first night of getting used to the jungle noises.....

Staff are wonderful and can't do enough to help, every last one of them. I can't for one minute believe any of them could be rude to guests, honestly they just don't have it in them! Food is excellent (curry at Dinner was one of the best I have ever tasted) and the breakfast & free afternoon tea also high quality. The grounds are like a quiet tropical oasis in the hustle/bustle of Ubud, and are kept immaculately clean.

So there you go - inexpensive luxury that has made our honeymoon stay so far a wonderful experience. I can't recommend this experience enough, and although everyone has an opinion I would say in this case look at the majority verdict for this hotel and take the negative reviews with a pinch of salt.

Room Tip: Room 101 Pool Villa is quiet, segregated and a great place for couples.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d8smt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I did a lot of research as there are so many accommodation options in Ubud but as I'm pregnant (almost 8 months!!) I really wanted something special and very comfortable for our last couple of nights of holiday before our baby comes.

I chose this site (there are a number of excellent Komaneka resorts around Ubud and you can use facilities at any of them) because we had spent our previous week in the middle of nowhere and I wanted to be close to the action! this resort is right off the very funky Monkey Forest Rd which has plenty of great food and shopping options. It's remarkably quiet though for being so close to everything.

so, things I particularly loved:

* the wonderful warm welcome including beautiful fresh juice and icy cold face cloth on arrival
* All of the staff - we only mentioned our name once at the beginning and then ALL of the staff knew who we were.....like magic!
* a welcome gift, fresh flowers on the bed, complimentary pjs, turndown service, complimentary fruit and biscuits in the room
* Complimentary afternoon tea either in the restaurant, by the pool or in your room - i took the latter option on our last night and had my afternoon tea in the lovely deep bath
* The amazing bath!
* Beautiful landscaped gardens and pool area ....although i actually didn't swim there!
* Complimentary use of the hotel car when available - i felt like royalty having a car drop us off at our restaurant and then collect us when we were ready to go home
* The fabulous breakfast options ....at least 4 courses and a choice of European, American or Indonesian style....you won't need to eat again until much later!
* Last but not least, the amazing spa.....pay the extra and experience the wonderful surroundings and very capable skills of the spa staff (it's definitely much more expensive than in town but really worth it). I had Wymeng (SP?) and she was brilliant

Thank you so much to Hera the manager and all the staff at Komaneka who made our short little stay in Ubud so pleasurable.

2 Thank 3Shells
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great Position in the action. Friendly helpful staff could not do enough for us and really made us feel welcome and knew us by name. Beuatiful hotel a real sanctuary in Ubud. I cannot speak more highly of the experience except to say the banana bread was the best I have ever had! Thank you Hera and all your friendly staff.

1 Thank Lisa A
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had an awesome time. The resort is in the heart of Ubud, close to everything. Kudos to Ms. Hera and her friendly staff who were always trying to make our stay comfortable. Great and affordable spa Highly recommend this hotel and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Yasmin K
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I booked this hotel according to the positlve reviews on tripadvisor. From my personal experience, it is good but nothing near the praise. Maybe I set my expectation too high.

Location was good. Restaurants, market, and temples are within walking distance. While in the heart of Ubud, the hotel still feels peaceful and secluded.

Generally the service was good. Staffs were attentive both over the emails since the time I made the reservation and during the actual stay. However, nobody greeted us by name (this was mentioned in most of the reviews but did not happen for me). Also, the offered driver service from the hotel (day tour and airport pickup) was way more expensive than the usual quoted driver rate I found elsewhere.

We got upgraded to a suite, which is quite spacious. The room is rather old though. Bed was not comfortable. Room wifi was almost non-existent. Nevertheless, it was clean and well taken care of. Pool area was nice. Breakfast and complimentary high tea were good too. One hiccup was that my boyfriend's breakfast came with a small stone in the fried vegetable. We told the staff and there was no apology. We were just given an explanation that Bali rice comes with stone sometimes. How absurd.

1 Thank bitterchoc
Liverpool
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I went with my ex to this hotel last month. The moment we arrived we were greeted by a lady with a very nice and warm smile (sorry but cannot remember the name of the receptionist). We were then offered a drink. She managed to make us feel very welcome and the pork scratching is absolutely delicious ( I was glad I went then because I am now a pescetarian). The lady has kindly show us around the hotel and show us the facilities. The hotel is very clean. It does give a very botique hotel feel and it has been made very personal. There are complimentary tea and coffee by the pool in the afternoon which i was really impressed. The room was really spacious . and there is not much view out of our window. The receptionist has kindly arranged for our trekking to Mt Batu and she has arranged a driver for us and recommended some local restaurant to us. The restaurant that we went to was call 'The Bridge' . However, I would highly recomend you to go for Babi Guling - roasted pork in Ubud. The driver service was superb . The driver took me to yoga barn for yoga in the morning and pick me up on time. I really cannot fault the service in this hotel and I would definitely highly recommend this place. I would say that the service that this hotel provide is something that even some very big hotel cannot compete. The personal touch and service does make you feel very special.
Ps the receptionist even let us have late check out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntly, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is one of our all time favourites..central location is all important as Ubuntu with all its amazing night entertainment is right on your doorstep..our room had its own pool with the most magical views across the rice paddies ..all the food was delicious and the a la carte breakfast a particular feature..we travelled and crammed a lot into our time in Bali but still managed to spend a lot of time at komaneka ..visited the other properties which looked equally exciting but preferred the monkey forest location.Do visit as this is a very special place

Room Tip: Go for villa with pool overlooking the paddie fields
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family