“Great value. Great staff. Great location.”

Biyukukung Suites and Spa
Ranked #105 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Great value. Great staff. Great location.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I originally booked into Biyukukung for 7 nights at the start of my three week stay in Ubud. After two nights I extended for my whole stay. So why did I love Bikukukung? The location is amazing. It's a very short walk to shops and restaurants along Hanoman street as well as a short walk to the Yoga barn. (Note: On Google maps it is shown in the wrong location. See my photos for actual location). The great thing about the location, is that once you enter the hotel, you feel like you are miles away from the hustle and bustle. It's set amongst the rice paddies, of which every room has a view. You go to the sleep to the sound of frogs chirping and wake up to birds chirping and roosters crowing. So lovely. There are also two beautiful pools and the grounds are kept immaculately.

I got upgraded to a Deluxe room on the second floor. It was spacious, clean and had a big balcony that looked over the rice paddies. I would wake up and open the curtains and look out at the beautiful view form my bed. When I asked to stay longer, they gave me the upgrade for my whole stay. I did get to see one of the standard rooms and it was fine. The bathroom a little old, but it looks like they are slowly upgrading all the rooms at the moment anyway.

The staff were so lovely. Nothing was any trouble and it was great having the complementary shuttle. They would only take you so far and then after that you would have to pay extra, but I found it was pretty reasonable. Although I think comparatively with Australia, shorter distances in a taxi in Bali are quite expensive. You only get good value for longer distances.

Breakfast was just ok, but fine considering the price I was paying (got the bet price through Agoda).

One of the best things for me too, as a solo female traveller, was that I felt incredibly safe there. Also met quite a few other single travellers. This may or may not be something that makes you comfortable, but there are security cameras around the grounds, leading down the paths to rooms etc. I actually quite liked this as it made me feel very secure. Don't worry, they aren't in your rooms.

I would highly recommend Biyukukung and will definitely stay again when I'm back in Ubud.

Room Tip: The Beo rooms are the best in my opinion. I was in Beo 3. Beo 1 is ground floor if you don't lik...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Kate M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

This place seemed nice, staff was friendly enough. Stayed in pipit 3 room which is duplex style. Poor construction and layout, way too many insects and geckos in the room to be worth what they are charging. Cockroach and frog in the shower, I'm an out doorsy guy but just couldn't get comfortable here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny12345678
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed in Biyukukung for a night in Feburary.

The view of the padi field is just gorgeous. Rooms are facing the padi field which gives you a great view from your room balcony. I stayed in a standard room which is like a duplex. The bedroom is upstairs and the bathroom is located downstairs. The surrounding of the hotel is really serene, a perfect getaway from the busy city.

Staff are welcoming and helpful. Welcome drinks are served upon checking in. There are 2 pools in the hotel. One infinity pool located near the reception and breakfast area and another pool near the spa. Breakfast was alright, It's a la carte instead of buffet style. The hotel also offers free shuttle service to where you want to go.

Definitely worth staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Biyukukung was great. It's right next to the padi field, and it feels like you are in the middle of no where. I had a standard room, but changed it to a deluxe the next day. The layout of the standard room was weird, and I wasn't comfortable with the "strawish" roof. The swimming pools were amazing, and having the luxury of the SPA right in your hotel was well worth it.

The location is great as well, it's right next to Yoga Barn (we spent a lot of time there), and you can take the shuttle to anywhere in town even at 2 in the morning.

The breakfast was great, especially they had this flute music that played in the morning that was very calming. (I asked about the name of the CD haven't found it yet).

I would definitely recommend staying at Biyukukung to anyone visiting Ubud.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The layout of Biyukukung is excellent! Every room incl. the breakfast patio faces the great open padi field. You can just lie in bed & watch the nature.

I booked a standard room for me & my mother. Unfortunately, it was not clear to me that it is a double storey room I.e. bathroom & toilet is downstairs, the beds is upstairs. As she has problems with her knees, it was very inconvenient for her especially at night. She slipped once, thankfully, not critical so I asked to refund our booking for the second night because I didn't want something to happen.

The hotel receptionist Agung Candi was very understanding. The manager whom she calls "pak" transferred us to the single storey suite. The suite is amazing! And large! You literally have a full view of the padi from your bed! There is an "open air" jacuzzi too but we were happy just listening to the rain, bull frogs croaking, crickets singing. It is living in the country with modern day comfort. I can recommend the suite for honeymooners!

We were there on New Year's Eve. Although we were in bed, you can see fireworks lit up everywhere. It's better than watching the fireworks out in the crowd yet better than watching it on TV because you hear the booming noise which adds to the excitement of the new year! If my schedule permits, I would like to spend more New Year's here! I would bring my own towels next time.

The hotel has free transport into town and every time we asked to be picked up after our shopping & dinner in town, the different drivers were all very punctual & friendly. We felt very well looked after. Thank you!

And the wifi is excellent!!! There was only 2 English Channels but we had our iPad so we were able to watch our movies/series on it although if you are there to relax, you don't need the TV!

Room Tip: The Kokokant 1 & 2 Suite is excellent! Honeymooners or just a pampered stay in a king size bed!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Seria, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have loved to stay here every single day of my more than three weeks! I have been in Ubud several times before, a different hotel every time. Now I found my match, I will always go back here. The people have been incredibly helpful and kind, especially when I hurt my knee they cared a lot about me getting well, drove me around and moved me to the suite for a very kind price in order for me to have less walking from entrance to my room. Also they organised towels without softener for me as I am allergic.

The view is great, directly next to the rice fields. Despite the vicinity of nature there was astonishingly little wildlife in the room - they manage it really well, and for Bali it is exceptionally clean.
(That said - if you are the first the time in Bali, be clear that there are always some dust threads hanging below the lamps.)

It is practical that there was a fridge and a safety deposit box in the room as well as a water boiler - which is not at all a standard in Ubud. Also the two pools are very nice.

Ref. the spa: Sadly I can not recommend to go there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Mrs_S_from_W
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife & I came to Biyukukung for a transition stay after a full-day trip. We figured there was no point to book a luxury hotel when we don't have the time to enjoy it. It's definitely great value for the price. They have awesome view of the rice terrace from the room. The bed is comfy. Their washroom is not all that clean. We tried their "50% off" spa - it was still expensive and the spa was only mediocre - you can find much better price & service around Ubud easily! Their mie goreng (fried noodle) was surprisingly good for breakfast... I wish I could order more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple