“In the end ...”

Ranked #5 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Australia
“In the end ...”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

... we booked the Ibah because they did a package with Bali Villas in Seminyak, and we booked via BV. Much of the villa-with-private-pool accommodation in Ubud is highly-rated on this site and other places, so it was hard to choose between them. Therefore convenience was the basis of our choice. But it was a fortunate choice.
We had a week at Ibah in the Oleander villa, which is a one-bedroom villa with its own pool. The villas with pools seem to be on the elevated part of the Ibah compound with views across the valley. The villas without pools are lower down, but near the gurgling river, which is also a delight. Most of the 18 or so suites/villas are different, with varying layouts and fitouts, which adds to the low-key and personal atmosphere. If you want a pool villa make sure you specify this. We met some people who had assumed all villas had pools and didn't get one, and were disappointed.
Anyway, our villa was lovely. You could get up in the morning - from the lovely firm kingsize bed with good cotton linen and mozzie net (although we didn't see any mozzies) - and jump into the pool. It was a real indulgence to enjoy the (non artificially heated) lightly-chlorinated water - cool but not cold - just steps away.
The villa itself was dark (my husband thought too dark but it was OK with me) and furnished with teak colonial-style furniture. But the marble bathroom and TV cabinet, among other things, had a 15-20 yo style look, which makes sense given the complex opened in 1996.
We didn't mind the slightly dated and frayed look/condition of the place - it was more than adequately compensated for by the gorgeous gardens, mossy stone walls, water features, statues, higgledy-piggledy layout and serene atmosphere of the place. One reviewer has said it was like staying in a museum - I would say almost a temple. In fact, the compound is owned by the Ubud royal family and some of the structures on it date from before the villas were developed. Warwick has assumed the running of the enterprise.
Yes, there were gecko droppings in the room, but I had read about them and the porter warned us about them when we arrived. I also didn't mind the two frogs who took ownership of our outdoor area after dark, or the spider suspended above the (50) stone stairs up to our villa, or the odd worm in the bath. I'm from Australia - such creatures don't usually upset me.
We found the staff friendly, helpful and courteous. One/two turned up the solicitude a bit high on our final day (tipping time) but that's hardly a crime when you work in a service industry in a developing country.
I used the spa A LOT and the staff were good. Again it's based in a villa like the one we stayed in, and the quiet, dark atmosphere was perfect for me. The quality of the treatments was good, but perhaps not great, and quite pricey by Bali standards, but then again so is Ibah.
The villa pool was well maintained and a decent size for "plunging". The central pool was larger and pretty with its nooks in the stone wall in which you can lounge and sip a cool drink.
We took a half day trip with a hotel driver, which was OK. There was a range on offer, but again you could do better hiring your own driver in town. There's a great list of drivers in the Bali forums section of this site.
Ibah is well located for the town - we didn't find it "out of town" at all. It's a ten minute stroll from Ubud central, and in my view it's better to be out of the very centre, although Ubud does close down after 11pm, so it's not raucous.
We ate in town except for breakfast and two other meals - the first was a lunch, which was pretty ordinary (USD10 for a salad, which was basically leaves and carrot, and missing the avocado advertised on the menu); and a very good dinner from a set menu on the last night (part of our package).
Ibah is a special place - accommodation built around a landscape and some pre-exisiting structures. It's not cutting-edge designer top-of-the-tree accommodation in Bali anymore, but it is lovely and would be impossible for others to emulate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tongi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 12, 2011

My fiance and I traveled to Bali in November and ended up staying at the Ibah for the 3 nights that we were in Ubud. The views from the room are stunning and overlook the beautiful river valley. You also have access to a nice path along the river and you are able to walk to all of the shops and restaurants in the center of Ubud. The also have a complimentary shuttle if you prefer that over walking. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet which made for great sleeping. Depending on your room, there are a lot of steps that some people complained about but we didn't mind the extra exercise and the view was well worth it.

With all of that said, I gave this hotel a poor rating because the shower is far below the standard that you would expect from a luxury hotel that you are paying upwards of $225 a night for. At first glance everything is just fine, but once you take a shower you have some unwelcome visitors surrounding (and even on) your feet. Honestly, just thinking about it months later makes me want to throw up. This happens becasue the water from the shower flows and drains onto wood panels; under which our worm friends live. When the water starts flowing the worms scramble for their lives so they don't drown. I understand why this occurs, but what I don't understand is why a luxury hotel wouldn't address this situation and remodel their showers. We politely brought this to the hotel's attention and they were very quick to clean everything up. But, this happened each time we took a shower and really took the relaxation and enjoyment of it. I would also like to note that I am not a high maintenance person. I have stayed in my share of hostels in my lifetime, but I have never experienced anything like this even when I was paying $20 a night.

As we were checking out I expressed my concerns to the manager, but he refused to lower our room rate because it was already discounted to $225. What a deal. This negative review would not have been written if they had done the right thing and provided us with the room rate that reflected our non-luxury experience.

Overall, the service was subpar and they don't seem to care about their customer's feedback (which doesn't make sense to me when you work in hospitality). We will not be staying there the next time we visit Ubud. I'm sure that there are much nicer places for a better value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cali22girl
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I booked this hotel only the day before we were due to stay, through a discount hotel website's 'mystery hotel' deal. I have to say that I was absolutely astounded when we arrived by the beauty and unique setting of the hotel and couldn't believe my luck.

We stayed in the Jasmine suite, which was enormous, spotlessly clean and with beautiful solid teak furniture including a very inviting four poster bed. The balcony was enormous with more than enough seating and overlooked a beautiful rainforest and cascading river below.

The bathroom was bigger than the lounge in my apartment and very classy, with separate areas for luggage and wardrobes on each side which was a great set up as it kept the bedroom and living room areas free of clutter - there was a great indoor shower as well as an outdoor rain shower and beautiful view of the carved, moss coloured stone walls from the bathroom windows (still absolutely private however). There was also a separate dressing table with scented oil burner and the wardrobes had all sorts of useful items, such as extra mosquito coils and spray, candles, matches, slippers, gowns, etc.

There was also a turndown service which was appreciated, from the small box of chocolates that were delivered to the lighting of mosquito coils on the balcony.

The staff were fantastic, very friendly and helpful and always available to provide a (free) shuttle run into the town centre. We had arranged a taxi from the hotel to our next destination, Jimbaran Bay, and were driven by a member of the hotel staff, wearing uniform, in a lovely airconditioned car, for only marginally more than hiring a driver from the street.

The swimming pool was also spectacular - with loungers built into the arches of the wall that provided the perfect shady spot to relax with a book and a (complimentary) glass of iced water that was delivered by the pool attendant the second we arrived.

My overall impression of the hotel was fantastic - the setting is so beautiful and whilst I note previous comments about the number of steps, my view is that this only added to the mystical atmosphere of the location - I loved walking across a little bridge and along an ancient walkway with beautiful carved stone walls to reach our suite.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant other than for breakfast - which was similar to all the other hotels we stayed in during our holiday.

The only criticism I have about the hotel is that we were charged for milk - of course this is simply a point of principle rather than cost because it was only 2,000 RP, but we were stopped by the staff just before leaving and asked to pay this because we had said 'no' to the question 'did you use anything from the mini-bar' when settling our bill. I have never stayed in a hotel that has charged for milk before - particularly when free tea and coffee facilities are part of the package. It seems especially odd in this case when there was a beautiful bowl of complimentary fruit on our table and lovely loose leaf teas and 'proper' coffee provided (not your standard Lipton and Nescafe).

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to others and look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank niconholiday
England
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We have not long returned from a trip to Bali, we loved the location of the hotel just outside of the town where all of the hustle and bustle is but not too far to walk into.
The settings and scenery in Ibah are beautiful, the pool is in a stunning area of the hotels grounds.
The staff at Ibah were first class, constantly wanting to please and make your stay enjoyable. Although their English was sometimes not that great - it was still good considering a lot of them have never left Bali.
The rooms were, in my opinon tired, the bedding is no longer white and is now grey, our air conditioning unit leaked, there were stains on the curtains, the sink plug did not work. We also noticed in some areas big leaks in the communal ceilings... However the beds are very comfy, and the rooms were cosy.
The food at the resort was great, the Indonesian breakfast was great and the fresh fruit juices and smoothies were good.
The spa was lovely, the treatments were great I visited the spa on several occasions, the only downside is the constant phone ringing from the restaurant below, which is at lunch time for obvious reasons very often!!
We would recommend when eating at external restaurants to try Ibu Rai down monkey forest road, very nice food. Cafe Lotus was not so great.
Another point that I had not read about before our trip is the amount of steps and stairs in this resort. My partner has had seven knee operations and this was not great for his knee at all - if I would of know the amount of steps, stairs and slopes I would not of booked the resort, but I suppose this is not something that you would go out of your way to mention unless they were a problem.
Overal we had a lovely relaxing stay, but probably would not choose to stay at this hotel again unless the rooms were refurbished.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear EnglandSunshine28,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for your review. We are grateful for you noting the positive aspects of your stay including our superior location, the setting and scenery, the swimming pool and the restaurant. Please rest assured we treat all reviews seriously and as diligent random spot checks on our product and services.

I am sorry and alarmed to read that the linen in your suite was not as fresh and white as it should be. Kindly be assured we are making a full review of these items in addition to our normal procedures. On your next stay please let us know if you encounter a flaw such as this - you will have our immediate attention to correct the issue up to our normal high-standards.

Please accept my apologies for the leaking air conditioning unit. At our resort these units do not switch off automatically when a window or balcony door is opened, and we do need to manage condensation as a result. Our in-house Engineering team provides regular maintenance to keep condensation to a minimum and will respond “a la minute” when required.

Indeed you point out the communal ceiling (the grass roof over the lobby) leaked during a heavy rain storm last December and is on its last days. The grass-rooves we have over some accommodation has been replaced recently as a priority. The lobby roof is scheduled next.

Thank you also for commenting on the first-class service you received from the staff. As a practice we make these reviews available to our team, and they are motivated by your feedback.

Please get in contact if you would like information on some exciting further improvements planned for Warwick Ibah in the next 12-months and I hope you will return to enjoy them.

Stuart Gemmell
Melbourne
Reviewed February 2, 2011

This hotel is quite unique looking and certinly visually appealling - both in rooms and the property itself. However, there are lots of stairs going everywhere - the pool, restaurant, the rooms - and lots of it was covered in moss or very wet due to the rainy season so it was very slippery. Our toddler could not walk at all in this property and I saw other guests trip over a number of times... just something to be aware of, particularly at night as lighting is also not good on the longish trek to some rooms. This in itself would not put me off though.

Our room, the Jasmine room, was beautiful with a huge bathroom and outdoor shower. However, I found it quite an awkward room as there was little bench space that was not cluttered with oil burners or ornaments - pretty but not very practical if you can't find room to put your toiletries.

The food in the restaurant and room service was just OK. As the food in Ubud generally is amazing, we stopped eating at the hotel completely.

I felt that we were nickle and dimed for everything. For example, tea and coffee is provided in rooms but you must pay for milk. Transfers to Sanur cost double what we paid at the Oberoi for the trip from Seminyak to Ubud, which is a longer distance. The Oberoi charged me 15,000 rupiah a minute for calls to Australia... the Ibah charged me 30,000 rupiah per minute. The restaurant prices were on par with the 4 seasons but were not of the same quality. We hired a hotel babysitter one night and they charged us 100,000 rupiah per hour. The Hyatt charged us 30,000 rupiah - BIG difference. By the end we felt entirely ripped off!

We hired a driver from the hotel one day and he constantly tried to sell us "programs" for coming days or trips to buy art. On one morning I approached the front desk and there were 3 men in bomber jackets (not uniforms) that greeted me with blank faces. I found the service very patchy indeed. Certainly the most unfriendly staff I encountered of the whole Bali trip. Notable exceptions were 1 pool attendant who gave our son a ball and 1 man in the restaurant.

This hotel might be OK if you do not expect service that matches prices (cheapest room US$200). For that price I expect certain things like service, restaurant quality and that I do not need to repeat requests. Oh and to top it off, my clothes came back still dirty from the laundry.

Go elsewhere. There is plenty of competition. We loved the Four Seasons and adopted it as our breakfast venue of choice. And the service was perfect!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear Springstreet77,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa. Thank you also for your comments on the beauty, unique nature, and appeal of the resort. These are sentiments agreed by many return guests as well as our devoted team.

I am sorry to read of your disappointments in the services you experienced. It is evident from your comments that we may not have explained clearly when you were receiving services from outside the hotel, the drivers in bomber jackets for example, compared to services we provide from within the hotel, or recommend.

Warwick Ibah employs five full-time professional, uniformed drivers and operates two new Suzuki APV GX vehicles, one less than 6-weeks old, solely for the purposes of guest transport. Naturally we need to charge for day tours, and because of our superior location in Ubud our pricing is less expensive than that of peer hotels. As a policy we recommend this option to our guests first and foremost.

From time to time more adventurous guests ask for other locally available transport options. When this happens we prefer to record the vehicle registration number before seeing you off with them. This is why our security had the local driver and guide meet you at reception. I regret you had a bad day tour, and apologize for any misunderstanding in this regard.

On the subject of baby-sitters I can only stand-by our policy to provide you with fully-referenced, agency staff to mind your toddler. Here again certainly, there are cheaper options available, but it is our policy to find you nothing less than the best available when it comes to the safety and security of your child in your absence. Our rates reflect those from the respective agency and are in many cases cheaper than peer hotels in the Ubud area.

I respectfully need to correct the price you mention about our cheapest room. Indeed our least expensive suite can be reserved for substantially less than you have quoted, and our packages and promotions offer significant value benefits, particularly at this time of year.

Thank you again for your review. Thank you also for your positive comments regarding the service poolside and in the restaurant. We are constantly training and developing our team in the interest of improved skills and guest services. I hope you will return to Ubud and Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa to experience these sometime in the near future.

Stuart Gemmell
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We spent one night at Warwick Ibah in Ubud with extended family including small children. The staff were very welcoming and keen to cater to our needs in regard to bedding and extra services for the kids. This in itself was a pleasant surprise.

I especially loved the location, just a short stroll to the main shops and market. Would actually recommend for that alone.

The setting and decor should be noted, is a beautiful Bali experience and the outdoor shower liberating!!

We had a fantastic time with the family and must also say the food was excellent.

Also, we accidently left a pair of expensive shoes which were promptly delievered to us at another hotel at no cost. This service made easy what could have been a hassle for our trip.

Totally recommend!
Cheers

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
adelaide
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This hotel is simply spectacular. Some friends who came along to have a sticky beak said it was like angkor wat. We stayed in a basic room and it was anything but basic, with two spacious indoor-outdoor areas that were just wonderful to relax in. the bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom simply amazing. service was wonderful, the restaurant staff were always gracious and happy to see us. the location is a short walk from the action of ubud, about ten minutes but there is a hotel transfer that is prompt and free. the pool was utterly amazing, the reason i booked this hotel and i was not disappointed. food was good and the included breakfast was substantial. there were lovely little touches along the way - a frog dance performance on xmas eve, a little present for us on xmas day. the one thing that i liked least was that the airconditioner was a bit noisy, but it was something you could easily sleep through and would not deter me from staying here again at all

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple