Ubud Dedari Villas
Very Good 4/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
All reviewselephant caveinfinity poolgoa gajahfree shuttleprivate terrace overlookingwater dispenserbanana pancakes for breakfastevery morningmassage serviceroom servicebeautiful rainforesttransfer from the airportpetanu riverdepending on trafficbreakfast is serveddeluxe roompeaceful setting
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked and paid for Dedari Villas through Agoda in January for myself and my husband. My mum then visited us (we live in Singapore) from the UK and I contacted Dedari to see if there was a second villa available. The manager advised me that villa 7 had a mezzanine level and could easily accommodate a third person on the ground floor (for and extra 30USD per night) - we thought it couldn't get any better. Boy...were we in for a shock.

On arrival, our room wasn't ready, so we were given beach towels to use at the pool side - but no place to change into our swimming gear. Ok - so no big deal, the room was ready shortly afterwards. However, when I say 'ready', I use the term loosely.

The majority of my review is the email i sent to hotel management and Agoda but there are a couple more points i feel you guys should be aware off.... the website states they have a 'mini shop'...we asked a member of staff where it was on the premises, who then looked at us blankly and directed us to a basic store - a good 10 minute walk away and across a road which took us another 10 minutes to cross!

We shared our room with a variety of creepy crawlies and were awoken the last three nights with a squeaking directly above us at the break of dawn....if you like mice you'll do well here! My husband 'enjoyed' videoing the little fellow! What fun....NOT!

The only positives I can think of, the transport was available for when we wanted to go into town and Gusto the chap at reception was lovely.

So, heres the email.... if you are considering booking this hotel I urge you to read it and if you think I'm in any way exaggerating - have a gander at my pics.

FAO: Management and Agoda
Further to our conversations on the 27th and 28th March, with regards our concerns with our villa, we wish to make you fully aware, in writing, of our feelings, regarding our stay at Dedari.

Firstly, as reported to you TWICE, the level of cleanliness in the villa was in truth, disgusting. Points noted below for your reference:

Floors throughout dirty, sticky and gritty

Floor under drawers and bed disgusting, with used cotton buds, grime, mouse droppings

Stained bedding

Stained and smelly towels which we had to have replaced

Dirty sink, dirty bathroom mirror, wall behind sink filthy

Dirty, stained curtains

Glass throughout not cleaned

Used toiletries

After the cleaning service had been in, we came back after a day trip to find our bathroom door was left unlocked (which allows direct entry into our villa)

Other issues are as follows:
Your website advertises an 'oasis of tranquility'......we have endured constant noise from below our veranda, and smoke from fire lit less than 20 feet away. All our clothes smell of smoke and its completely unbearable to sit outside due to this. This is particularly upsetting as we came here to relax as stated in your website.

Our outside door locked behind us (without us pushing in the lock button) which meant we had to have our key with us at all times. Reported to you on Tuesday and not fixed until Friday. We had a similar problem in that our bathroom door locked behind us, which meant we couldn't get in and were told to leave it lying open! Fortunately, I managed to fix it myself!

No spare toilet rolls were left and we had to request them from reception as we had run out.

We ordered breakfast (the night before) for 8.30am on Thursday as I was leaving for a rafting trip at 9am. Breakfast arrived at 9.05am.....I therefore had to go without.

Again, on your website you say there are high pressure showers....our shower is certainly not! And the hot water can be described, at best, as inconsistent.

Wifi has not worked for much of the week, highly inconvenient.

There are no mirrors ANYWHERE other than the bathroom! Where are guests supposed to get ready?

No bedside lights next to the downstairs bed.

The manager gave us the aiport transfers for free (60USD) and we point blank refused to pay the extra money for my mums stay, and are in the process of trying to get our trip refunded completely. Ubud as a place is amazing - what a disappointment that coming back to Dedari was so completely awful. By a country mile - or maybe a few country miles - the WORST accommodation I have ever experienced. Awful Awful Awful.

Room Tip: Don't know about the rest but Villa 7 is appallingly bad.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank louster79
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spent 2 nights here in Feb 2013. The staff were very friendly, particularly Gusti, and it was enjoyable being in such a peaceful setting. We stayed in villa number 4 which was right in the middle and had a great wifi connection. At night, I really enjoyed sitting outside listening to the music from the local village (presumably from the temple?) and the birds and insects chirping away.

The reason we've not scored Ubud Dedari higher, was down to a couple of things that could be quite easy to sort out. The main issue was the food and minibar. Being a pretty lengthy (depending on traffic) taxi journey away from Ubud, and there not being any other alternatives in the vicinity, I think the hotel really needs to up its game, particularly given the high quality of food you can get in warungs all around Ubud. Some nonperishable snacks in the minibar would have been nice (although we should probably have been more organised and picked something up at a shop!).

I hope Ubud Dedari villas improves its food, as it was otherwise great, and is a lovely place to stay.

2  Thank Dr_Tucksteroo
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Friendly and efficient staff, convenient and reliable airport pickup and delivery, great breakfasts and generally good quality room service food. Rooms were a great size, with a huge super duper king size bed, good aircon and the usual other amenities such as TV, barfridge etc. Clean bottled water was provided daily at very low cost. We had absolutely no trouble with mosquitos even though we went during the wet season. Despite the rather rundown appearance of the villages on the approach journey, the hotel is a lovely contrast at the end of a quiet laneway. The location is beautiful and secluded, with lovely grounds and a view from the very pleasant plunge pool over jungle and a river canyon. Paradise! An important point is that the villas are located about 8kms outside the main Ubud centre, and there are no normal quality restaurants or bars nearby. A free daily shuttle to Ubud is available at 10am returning 2.30pm, but for all other times, taxis are the usual mode of transport unless you are fit and/or brave and hire a bike or motorbike. Cost of a taxi to Ubud is about AUD5 one way and this can be put on your room account if the villa staff do the driving. The villa will also arrange whole or part day car and driver for ranging further afield (about AUD60 for a full day) and any package tours that you choose. Thoroughly recommend full day trip to volcano, hot springs and paddy fields. There are a couple of small, very basic stores for some essentials in the village nearby and on one occasion, we plucked up the courage to have a meal at one of the very cheap roadside cafes (Warung) on the main road a shortish walk from the villas. One highlight was attending a procession (part of one of the many local religious festivals). It was great to see the crowds of locals all gathering to participate, with drums and gamelin and cymbals. If we came again, we would probably be more adventurous about exploring the local village and its people.

1  Thank Donald R
Reviewed February 18, 2013

As Ubud is becoming more and more commericalised daily traffic jams are the norm. Therefore this quaint little hotel is a bit like an oasis from the chaos and noise. The hotel only has 7 rooms and we stayed in room 1, which is the nearest to the reception. The staff in the hotel is friendly and always smiling. As the hotel is small there is never a crowd by the pool and sometimes I was the only one there. We ordered room service 3 times, although the food choices are limited the prices are reasonable with good portion size. They also helped us with booking tours and transport. If you want to be in the hustle and bustle of central Ubud then this is not the best choice due to its proximity to the centre. But if you are looking for some peace and quiet away from the crowd then you wouldn't be able to find better value.

Room Tip: Go for room 1 as the wifi connection is the strongest here and you are shielded from other patrons while you dine on your private patio that are larger than the other ones. Room 2,3,4,5 overlook the pool but are also very close to each other therefore you are bound to get less privacy.
1  Thank Lucy C
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great place to stay. The location is not Ubud but Dedari so Ubud centre is not in a walking distance for everyone. On the other hand you have the sounds of nature including water falling over the edge of the pool around you once you are there. Elephant Cave is very close. You can walk a narrow path down to the river directly from your villa. On all three mornings our breakfast arrived 5 to 20 minutes late so you better bear this in mind if you are in a tight schedule.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple